Shortening aluminum driveshaft, any local shops?

Need the aluminum driveshaft in my Mustang shortened. Called Fleet Pride and they won’t touch it, however for $375 they’d build an aluminum unit from scratch, go figure. Anyone had this work done locally? I’m half tempted to just chop saw out the 1/2" or so that I need and have a local TIG superstar weld her back up…

That’s weird, Fleet Pride was good to me about shortening mine and welding on a u-joint/slip yoke, but then again mine was steel. I would recommend Denny’s, but they may tell you the same thing. I guess there’s no money in modifying existing shafts nowadays, or they don’t want to deal with liability of the thing coming apart?

That sucks that it’s just 1/2".

Yeah if it was steel it would be a quick job. What baffles me is that they can build an aluminum shaft from scratch, which I’ll just assume involves welding…but they won’t weld my existing piece?

And yes, it sucks it’s only ~1/2". Right now the tolerance is so tight between the diff and the trans that to remove the driveshaft I have to disconnect most of the rear subframe / suspension / exhaust (IRS swap) to swing the subframe it down just to get clearance.

Fleetpride is shady anyways… Never had good luck with them personally.

I’d give Denny a call and see what he says. Anytime I’ve dealt with him he’s always been great; sometimes slow and $$, but the work is always top-notch. Plus if he says he won’t/can’t do it; he WILL tell you why and explain why he doesn’t feel comfortable doing something or why it can’t/shouldn’t be done.

Denny’s will only do so if they built it originally. Perhaps Filthy Habits is game, but I don’t want to nominate anyone…

I think there is much more involved here when cutting and rewelding aluminum assuming its 6061 or similar. making sure its annealed properly for structural integrity and such. but if its nothing that’s going to be going wheels up anytime soon it would probably be ok. if you do decide to cut out the 1/2in make sure you mark it appropriately so rebalancing wont be needed.

Here’s what my shaft looks like: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/M4602G/79-95-Mustang-Ford-Racing-Aluminum-Driveshaft?utm_source=google-shopping&utm_medium=comparison-shopping&utm_campaign=google-shopping-v2&gclid=CNHdpuS8-rwCFVFo7AodREQAWw

I would still have it balanced afterwards, as well as run a driveshaft loop for ‘just in case’.

ill give it a shot if you like. I would just grind shorten it at either the front or rear where its originally welded. draw a line length wise for reference and balancing shouldnt be an issue unless shaft is bent after being welded.

Turbociv, thanks for the offer! Car is in storage for the moment, just trying to get things lined up for when I take her out.