ok, NOW I'm scared

Massa you couldn’t be more wrong yourself…

Yes programmers are harder to find so I agree with you on that.

As far as certifications go… Most IT jobs couldn’t give 2 shits about college etc…

but lets do this scenario

I just finsihed my first year at a real IT job, and am applying to a new company, your applying tot he same company but have a couple more years than I do… I have my MCSE and CCNA… chances are Ill get the job over you

A lot of places the first question they ask is did you get your H.S. Diploma/GED and what certifications you have.

Yes someone without certifications and a few years of experience will be okay in the IT field as you have experience and references to back up your knowledge, but someone with certifications will tower over you. I have talked to many employers and many state workers and they all want certifications, if you dotn have any and you but you still have the experiance they will send you to get your certifications as it looks good to have someone with them in the company.

but as far as job security in the IT Field… don’t coutn on it… MVP just got rid of 90% of their IT guys to hire newer people at half the wages they were paying the previous people… something to think about.

lol you crack me up sometimes.

I think you are incorrect about certifications. Although they don’t mean you know your stuff, many employers do look at them favorably because they show that I (or someone else) was at least willing to work to develop myself/themselves when it came to their IT career (or other career if applicable). Now I know you were referring to certifications for the most part, but the same applies to people with degrees. I know people who have masters degrees that are dumber than a bag of rocks. Them having a masters means they dedicated themselves (time, money) and worked at it (however, might not have learned exactly everything). It all comes down to work ethic. It is very desirable if you are looking for someone good to work for you (who isn’t a lazy POS and does just enough to get by in their career). In this industry, I think learning hands on is better than learning from a book anyway. However, that being said, my company pays for 100% of it (education). I’d be stupid not to get them done (certs). My brother is the associate director of IT at New York State Nurses Association near the airport (NYSNA). He has to get a bachelors (he only has an assoc. like me) in order to be promoted once his boss retires. That is another reason why education (degree/certs) is desirable. No company will want some Joe Shmoe with no education credentials running their divisions/departments no matter HOW much he knows. Education (be it degrees or certifications) is important. If it wasn’t important, most companies wouldn’t promote it via paying for some or all of it.

Also, how do you figure it’s harder to replace a skilled programmer than a skilled network admin? Once you get into the upper areas of ‘knowledge’ in those fields, both are equally as challenging. It’s easier to replace a skilled programmer because there are 10x (I’m obviously exaggerating but you get my point) more skilled programmers on the planet than skilled network people (I’m not talking about some basic network tech who knows how to do install Server 03 and that’s about it - more like an infrastructure mannaager (damn filter), network admin, etc who built a efficient network from scratch). Some guy in India could program stuff for you and just send it to you via secure connection. On the other hand, replacing someone who knows how to build a proper network is much tougher because you’re only able to, really, hire someone in your geographic area. You sure as hell can’t hire a network admin/mannaager from India to run your network in New York. And if you do, it won’t be as nearly as good for your company as hiring someone who’s local or can be there in a few hours (ex: we have offices all over the NE). Not to mention it’ll cost more money to transport him back and forth if need be.

I personally know this because we, as an IT department, paid a crap load of money to a firm to do some work in our field offices and it ended up being a disaster. This company was highly touted too. It’s better, in many cases, to just do it yourself.

Outsourcing is NOT the answer. It might save you money up front, but it also might cost you in the end (like it did in this example). People shouldn’t go into their career thinking of the chance that it might be outsourced. That’s what causes people to not work as hard, and probably started the trend of out sourcing.

For those of you who don’t have degrees, etc. Get them. They’ll help your career foundation. And they WILL make you more desirable and provide you with a better foundation for keeping a job/building your career on in these hard times.

For those that already have a degree…do anything else you can to set yourself apart. It’ll help.

More power to you folks.

This is very true. And outsourcing is a byproduct of this mentality.

I’m a good example. I have no certs and a 2 year degree. But I do have 5.5 years of experience.

I beat out a kid straight out of college with a bachelors degree and one cert (as far as I know).

But, that doesn’t mean I didn’t get lucky. I probably did.

This is a per company thing. You can’t say all companies in IT are cutting their staff. I think when we say job security, most of us are referring to the INDUSTRY.

Regarding IT, I could go anywhere and probably find a job. NY, FL, CA, WA, TX. I’d be able to get work somewhere. In other fields, people might not be so lucky.

I myself have been at new Horizons getting my certs… although i have been slacking lately, I do have a few, i have not decided if im going to do my CCNA or not yet, but am looking forward to obtaining my MSCE :ninja

the sweedish single malt industry is currently booming if you guys want a good job.

My job doesn’t have any security in the best of times, so conversely a crisis like this hardly makes a difference.

There should not be anything called job security. Survival of the fittest, been that way since the cavemen roamed.

+1

Honestly the only reason I know my boss keeps me is because

A: I do what he asks
B: I show up to work on time everyday/ I stay till my work is done, I do shit when theres nothing else to do… If im going to be more than 5 minutes late I call him well in advanced
C: Im always learning more and more, im learning more about the buisness were involve in and the products we sell
D: Im always implementing something better to make life easier for the both of us…

He honestly doesnt need me there and could fire me and not need anyone else except himself, but he sees me as a usefull asset to the company, and untill I show disinterest im set for now, The CEO often bring me up to his office just to chat, the VP chats with me frequently and is good friends with a close friend of the family and someone who im very close with, so if im going to get fired, ill know well in advanced to it acctualy hapening… and honestly I dont think they will unless they go bankrupt

Yeah, Starbucks just announced today to close another 300 store and that is in addition to the 600 they already announced. Their profit drop 69% in the first fiscal quarter.

$5 dollar coffee in an economy like this is bounded to fail. A lot of people can’t even afford a $5 dollar dinner.

and theyre also not brewing decaf anymore unless you ask for it.

Who the fuck goes there for decaf anyway?

not scared in the least bit.

unemployment FTMFW.

that shit runs out eventually though and the longer you wait the harder its gonna be to find something

not always… as long as your looking for a job while your on unemployment you can find a job still… its the people that just chill on unemployment and then wait till it runs up and then look for a job are the ones that FAIL!

Nursing FTMFW

parents own their own landscaping company…I work full time for them. Im set for life.

Looking for a few good, hard workers for the summer tho if anyone wants a good paying cash job…

You in school or working? Know anyone who wants an LPN? LOL

ya there was a article about my old job closing too recently lol, heres the link

If I still dident have a “career” I would so be down… I miss the phat paychecks and the weight loss… and the tan…

and being tired and sleeping really well

Amidst all of the fail in this thread, this post full of win stands out.

Oh man at Albany med it is nearly impossible to get fired when you are in a specialized field

count me in if i dont have a new job by then :up