thinking about a city/town job

well I think I have had enough of my current job and am ready to move on… I have been working in the health/gym industry for 5 years and managed a bally total fitness for almost 4 of those… great exp in the field but I think I would like to move on now…
I know the pay will not be the same but the benefits and the pension outweigh that I believe…

anyone on the board currently working a job like this?? Any suggestions where to apply and all that good stuff

any feedback is appreciated thanks

Your better off staying at your current job until the market picks up. There is NOTHING in Buffalo right unless you specialize in another trade, are IT literate, or in the medical field. You could always look into options to build your current knowledge of the health/gym industry and see if there is another area that would offer better pay/benefits.

Check the NYS civil service site for job postings. Gov’t jobs are not all that wonderfull right now. Always threats of lay offs etc… There are way too many politicians that only do things that will benefit themselves instead of thinking of the people first.

think of it this way:if you’re going to take a 10k pay cut you will lose out. Imagine if you kept you current job and invested the 10k difference every year until you retire.

I took a good 12K hit going to the state. It took about 6 years to recoup, but in the long run will be better, I’ll never get rich but its enough to do ok and have my toys. Plus hours/vaca/etc…I will say my health care was better in private industry and my profit sharing etc…

I know the pay cut would hurt but like pauly said he caught back up in his six years… and now that seems to be the better choice for him…

?I know it does take a while to get into these jobs unless you know someone… perhaps ill start asking some of the folks that go to my current job and workout… and start taking the civil service tests

… worst case is I get the job and then at least I have the option to take it or leave it … right now im kinda optionless, i guess it would be nice to at least know there is another door for me to open or at least get my hands on the door knob by starting the process

explain how you would be better in the long run with benefits and retirement? I don’t see it?

because he wouldn’t have to do jack shit most of the time.

well figuring that most of these jobs have the benefit package rolled into the pay… my current employer im paying a decent buck and im still single with no kids, once that changes so does the part I have to chip in towards the benefits for the family…

retirement, well it would be nice to collect a solid pension with the 401k and ss…assuming that ss is still around when its time to retire and that the stock market recovers and grows enough to have a significant 401k

if i didn’t have a pension and the other too fall through then Ill have to be that walmart greeter that no one wants to be… or that 60+ yr old mall security guard that strikes fear into the hearts of every minor not allowed into the galleria lol

Truth.

I saw a collaborative effort from about 17 workers in order to street sweep the skyway earlier today.

And I use the term “effort” loosely.

They should just contract everything out by adding something to the task to prevent shitty government employees from being able to do the work.

that def would help the budget out… esp since then they know they are paying a flat rate agreed upon and its on the contractors shoulders then to do it effieciently enought to still turn a good enough profit to live off of

a $10,000 loss times 6 years is a hell of a lot when you factor in compound interest.

money doesnt equal happiness and all that jazz… i know too many folks with that scenario , just hating life as they hate there daily grind at work…

ironically though i did find a way to be more entertained aka “busy” at work and it will equal a nice raise as well

guess sometimes you gotta have your back against the wall to push forward with much intensity