OMG *OFFICIAL* iPhone Thread

how do you do it via the website?

You can add a discount by using your work email. I actually have been impressed this week when I have called. I took my discount off when I got the iphone. I called yesterday to ask them if they can just readd it and the lady in corporate care did it in 2 min.

A couple of questions:

How is your battery life on it with normal use? I have my phone sync gMail every hour and my work email push from exchange. I get maybe 20 gmail emails a day and 100 on exchange. I keep the screen brightness down pretty far since I am indoors and only use light web browsing. My battery is 1/2 dead by the end of the day. Also, I am only on the phone 30-60 min a day. I think its pretty decent for a pda phone. When its not getting push emails every 20 minutes on 3G like at night, I can listen ot my ipod for 8 hours at poker, text regularly and its stays strong.

Also, anyone find the deal with the Enterprise data plan that $15 more? I bought my phone and use my $30 data plan and I sync to exchange. What is the difference? Is it a rollout like companies buying the phone that require it?

My battery life has been very good since I’ve turned off the 3G. I push emails every 15min from 2 gmail accounts and another. I’ve had the phone off the charger since 6 A.M. and the brightness almost all the way down and I’ve used less then 20% of my battery as of now.

Wish the idiots in customer care could have figured out how to do it in 2min like the one you got. I htalked to 3 idiots who kept putting me on hold and coming back with “we don’t know how to do it”. Agh!!! It also takes for ever to get a voice on the line when you call…

Also I was in Mexico the day after I got the thing and it would keep hanging up on me every time I made a call… Good thing I had the T-Mobile phone with me, which I was going to leave behind…

Curious: Do a lot of people unlock iPhones and rock them on t-mobile? Does it work well?

with the first generation, yes… not sure about the new ones. IIRC you had to apply a few hacks to get some of the features working correctly (edge & youtube app among other things)

Apple is allowing a discount on iPhone plans now? or am I missing some information?

Yea, Smaefer must have just got the retard line because I was able to remove mine and put it back on in a total of 5 minutes between calls. Very easy, and AT&T customer service has always been very fast and helpful. IDK…

I know for a fact that they offer a military, federal government and also student discounts which are very minimal, about 8% off your bill.
I work for the federal government and receive 18% off my bill, which is pretty decent…
Here is the link to see if you’re eligible.

Yeah, I sure got the idiots that day on the line. I finally decided to dig around online and obtain the discount myself.

Smaefer, call 611 on your phone and ask to be transfered to business care.

They are a lot more intelligent and can do it. I just told them I had it on there and I had to take it off to get the iPhone and asked if there was any way they could reference it and add it back on without me having to get all the papers from my employer and going to an ATT store.

hell ya. 20% off my monthly bill :slight_smile:

lol god so true

So to the people that have the 3G iPhone, how do you like it? I’m sure it’s not worth the hype (nothing from apple is, they just have great marketing) but is it worth it for $200 over the other phone choices right now?

I’ve been debating getting one, but wanted to wait for people I know to say good/bad things about it.

watch the vid i posted and then make a choice :slight_smile:

I don’t personally have one, but have a first generation.

If having the extra speed (in metro areas) & GPS is worth it to you, then go with the 3g. The “locate me” function on the 1st gen works just fine imo and edge, while slow, still isnt too bad if you have a strong signal. The longer battery life is nice, but if you have a wall/car charger it’s a moot point.

I’ll give apple credit, they are nice devices if you have the $$$ to blow. If it were me though, if I could avoid the contract, I’d go with a cheap first gen phone.

This is also an option. I’m on an employee plan, so I was also thinking about just buying a cheap 1st gen, unlock it, and use it on my contract-free plan.

The GPS would be nice though. The 3g version gives you turn by turn directions too doesn’t it?

No sound at work. :frowning:

yeah, but from what I hear, it doesn’t work that great. Even then though, the phones battery life and lack of 3g coverage outside of city areas would cripple it’s use since edge wouldn’t update fast enough.

You’d be better off just using google maps to track you’re progress IMO

Hmmm.

Does anyone know if you can combine discounts with ATT? They give a %5 discount to UB students, and also a %20 discount to employees of certain companies. Could I get both discounts on one bill?

don’t know about multiple but they do offer discounts (got 5% from my work)

good luck and what ya decide to do

no. its one or the other.

im loving my 20% off my bill :slight_smile: