port and polish

hey i was wondering if anyone knows of a good place to send my heads to get ported and polished???

you have a neon with headS?

maybe he has neons on his v8

my cylinder head

on topic. have you thought about DIY? it’s not too hard.

^^ that or… contact Todd at KTR Racing Engine Inc. 668-0903

DIY cylinder head porting is like DIY brain surgery. About the only thing I would recommend the average person try is gasket match anything more and you could be doing more harm than good.

Trust me cylinder head porting is best left to a professional that does it everyday and knows what works and what doesn’t

seriously, in these newer engines like hondas etc its much easier to hurt flow than improve it. If you dont have any clue how to do this best off paying somebody who does.

agreed

however, if you are going the DIY route, research, research, research

X3
AND
X2

If You’re gonna do it, search through the neon community and talk to people that have done it a few times… and done it succesfully. or better yet, buddy up to some neon pro’s that have worked a few dozen heads. Hell, get pictures if You can - lol

Majority of making a better flowing head out of a stock chunk is testing & the experience that comes with it.

Basically, spend a couple of weeks (or more) talking and researching before ever picking up a grinder.

Oh, and pick up a SPARE, known good head to work on, rather then Your primary/current one.

-Nick

Another good word of advice is if you don’t have a flow bench or access to a bench to use you shouldn’t even think about touching a grinder

You are a bunch of pussies. Neon heads are a dime a dozen. Tape up the valve seats, leave the floors of the exhaust ports alone, and concentrate on the bowls. There were alot of core shift in the Mexican castings. The DOHC ports are pretty good and really only need to get cleaned up. Don’t bother with bigger valves.

FWIW P&P on a neon engine doesn’t do shit unless you’re going with a cam and or more displacement. I did all this shit like 6 years ago so there might be more info now. There used to be some guy named Nick on the neons.org board who did a good job, but like I said, he was good and that was 6 years ago. If he had half a brain he’d be long out of the neon game. Neon owners are whiney little cheap bastards.

the reason y i wanna do this is b/c im putting in a race/competion cam

so you are throwing your money away?

The only thing I would suggest doing by yourself is cleaning up the casting flash and that’s about it. Anything more aggressive, I would leave to professionals with a flow bench as JnJ stated above. Even removing the casting flash requires some skill as you don’t want to damage the combustions chamber or the exhaust and intake flange surfaces with an errant pass…

yeah, when i dropped the DIY mention, i was mainly pointing him towards a basic flash removal/smoothing operation.

A as in singular as in SOHC?

If I may be so bold… STOP. Newman’s kinda right. For 250 for the cam and another 500 for the P&P and at least 70 for the MLS HG. You’ll get like maybe 180 hp and a narrow powerband. OR you could drop a hun shot of :tspry: and keep your nice idle and it won’t stall at stoplights and your longtube headers (necessary for flow) won’t piss off your neighbors. Oh yeah, you’re going to want a PCM to advance spark and raise redline. Probably new valvesprings and Ti retainers too…

PS FWIW if one can’t use a dremel or die grinder without making an “errant pass” and damaging sealing surfaces or CCs, they have no business separating the head from the block.

:word: to the Mopar genius!! I would listen to what the cooler Denton has to say… He knows his shit.

lol @ cooler denton.

just because newman picked on him about saying heads, i’m gonna pick on you(even though i know you know better)
since when can you get long tube headers?
instead of doing all that to your sohc head… why not just swap in the sohc magnum head and intake manifold