Re-doing the s14

This post is a mix between a rant and asking those on SON for opinions…comment at your own discretion.

Been through a lot with my s14, nothing short of a soap opera with her.

I recently tried selling her in order to obtain a down payment on a house, long story short, didn’t sell because I was bumped out of the house. Now I’ve decided to keep her and rebuild her to my likings.

I know people don’t like the way my car looks with it’s overly aggressive kit and a bit flawed paint job, and fwd rims. Yes, I know. In my defense, IT WAS NOT MY DOING. A little while ago, I was a columnist at a local car tuning mag (will leave their name out for legal purposes). Long story short, they agreed to sponsor my car so they can feature it on their covers. However, because their vendors were mainly body shops, the mods were ALL cosmetic. Not just that, but because the company was new, they didn’t exactly have deep pockets either. So…when I dropped my car off for them to, (or rather, what I thought they were going to) ‘pimp my ride’. I got a horrendous example of what these people thought were ‘pimp’. A replica drift kit was acquired and put on without any sort, or an attempt of fitment. Rims that were the completely the wrong sizes, (although the kumho estca tires I got, I admit weren’t that bad) and the paint job…jeez that was a drama in itself.

The car was painted in a haste and as a result had a bit of overspray and paint drips. Not only that, but the body shop they sourced took nearly 3 months to paint the car. (Not a reflection of quality) Not just that, but when I went to pick up the car, it was still in pieces, my deck and amp was stolen, and my key was missing. I was not a happy camper. The shop owner than told me to pick it up the next day. I was ready to clock him one in the head. Instead, I opted to help piece my car back together, and told him that he’d better get his ass down to the nissan dealership and get another key made.

I drove my car home that night with a bittersweet taste in my mouth.

I asked the company several times to redo what they did to my car, but alas, they went under and closed their doors.

This is where I am currently. So, after making the final decision of keeping the ride, I decided to tackle the project myself with my own funds. This weekend, the car will undergo a s13 sr20det blacktop swap, bings 3" exhaust, fmic kit from varun, and some other misc stuff, cross drilled rotors, etc…

However, I’ve been looking at other mods that I wanted to do. Due to budget I may have to hold off on some cosmetic changes for the time being, but was wondering on what kind of bodykit that you guys have seen and like. I’ve checked several, and so far, haven’t really found anything I really like. Maybe just thinking of going stock with a lip…or the version select kit. Still unsure, don’t want anything to aggressive, just something clean. Also looking to do a bit of suspension work, but unsure where I should start. The car will not be tracked heavily, more so for pleasure driving on the weekends. So I fail to see why I should get a firm suspension that will destroy my back with no use on the streets.

There is where I want to extend the floor to the lady and fellas, (i’ve only seen one girl on the forums) after the engine is complete (just want to make it reliable, not going for crazy hp right now) what should I do afterwards?

Cosmetic? (repaint, bodykit? no bodykit? rims? interior trim? spoiler etc)

brake, Suspension & Chassis? (sway bars, tie-rods, bushings, coil-overs? Upgraded brakes, should i convert to 5 lugs?)

Anything else I’m missing?

As a side note, yes I am not mechanically inclined. The car is a hobby and I treat it as one. All the stuff I know is from a huge ass auto repair manual I stole from my public library, lol. Unfortunately, sometimes fitting diagrams to the real thing gets a bit confusing. So any knowledge that can be dispensed from others that are more experienced than I am will be greatly appreciated.

I’d say go with a nice subtle look with the JDM Aero, or maybe a 280R kit (A bit pricey but worth it IMO).

Get a nice set of rims, (talk to dubv, he can get mad JDM rims for a good price).

Convert to 5 lug if you want, but if you’re on a bit of a budget, see what Vlad can get in for 4-lug rims, and you might be able to find a set to your tastes that’ll let you save some money by staying 4-lug.

Brakes, I’m running Brembo slotted/crossdrilled with stock calipers and unknown pads, and I can lock up the tires long before I fade the brakes, even after a hard afternoon of driving. Bigger rims and some better width tires will prevent locking them up, (I’m on 195/50R15s I believe).

Suspension, I’d say a good spring/shock combo would be awesome. You don’t really need coils if you’re not gonna be tracking your car much. Many people have a great time on the track with just springs/struts. Lots of options here.

Sways are nice to do, end links at the very least, and a bushing kit is an excellent idea no matter how little suspension work you’re doing. It’ll give you way better response and you’ll see bigger gains from your other mods. Nothing like taking the slop out of 13 yr old bushings to make it feel crisper.

SR swap is a lot of fun, you’ll enjoy it.

Worst case scenario, if you have to hold off on the cosmetic work, just try and find stock bumpers and ditch the skirts… It won’t cost too much, and if you really hate the look that much, it’s an option.

Let’s see some pics and see how bad it really looks…

Allen, your car doesn’t look as bad as people here make it out to be. The kit just needs to be refitted, and could use some paint. The only reason why the kit looks off right now, is poor fitment, and shit wheels. If you put some baller wheels on it, and lower it, I guarantee it will look hot with the current kit. The issue is that it’s an aggressive kit, and everything else is weak, so it looks ricey. If you couple it with aggressive wheels, the frontmount, 3" exhaust, etc it will look right. If you’re only gonna do basic things apperance wise, wheels and lowering are your bet.
As for other stuff, I’d keep it 4 lug if you find a set of wheels you like, because that’s the only reason anyone would want to go 5 lug, wheel selection. For brakes, Hawk HPS is a good bet for your car, paired up with some decent rotors. Bushings is a nice mod, but very labour intensive, I would not suggest it unless yours are really bad. Lower it, get an alignment and do sways or just endlinks if the handling is not to your liking. Depending on your driving style, you may want to invest in a nice seat, I’ve never been satisfied with stock bolstering, and I find even the entry level after market ones to be lacking. If you’re on a budget, get a Sparco or something, don’t have to be ballin’ with the Brides, just don’t get no name seats, I wouldn’t trust my life with something like that.
And I got the GST number today, so we’re good to go. Sorry we took so long with the pricing, my partner was in charge of quotes until now, but since he’s being too busy, I’ve taken over all the customer relations, and he’s doing finance instead, so that should really help with delays.

I always wondered about going 5 lug, but found it an unecessary mod, (unless you’re completely dissatisifed with the rim selection)

to make it a bit more clear, i’m not exactly on a budget. If there is a direction to where I’m going with the car, I will not mind spending the cash to do it right. I just don’t want too many unecessary mods. The common thing I found out while doing the writing for the tuner mag was that alot of people just go a bit ‘mod crazy’. So when something goes wrong, you have to rip apart sooooo many things just to figure out what happened, or it gets really costly. I find that a few key mods here and there (depending on application) really keeps things nice and simple

as for lowering it…any specific brand i should be looking for?

i’m interested in paint shops too…anyone have experience with a good shop that knows what they’re doing? Is my kit salvagable?

links dont work…will post later

here are just a couple of pics

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/7333/240rightsidefi6.th.jpg
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/3564/240rearrightst5.th.jpg

gonna take some before and after pics when the engine is going in

That’s not terrible. I’d say just get the kit fitted properly, a nice baller set of rims (Might I suggest Work VS-XX, they come in 4-lug, sexy offset, 17x8/9 I believe) Vlad should be able to get’em for you or maybe you can convince him to sell his set… But a fat 5-spoke, or a nice mesh with that kit fitted properly, and a set of lowering springs would actually be a nice looking car, 'specially with a FMIC, and a nice exhaust.

im no expert on body work or anything, but if those pics are showing the bad fit then come over and see my honda… I have a canyon between my body panels. Il give u a horror story from dealing with shops… and i can show u what it means to be rice lol

Anyways. I’m in a similar end result situation with my honda. I say take care of the looks if u can live with the performance. Rims, suspension, paint if u feel its necessary and then go from there.

take that kit off the car… get oem shit… start over…

im not surprised that a magazine ruined your car or that a bodyshop didnt give a shit…

GET RID OF THAT KIT I think the guys are being really nice here saying its not that bad but honestly that kit is horrible, there is no possible way to make that kit look good on the car if you ask me. Either run it stock (which is ALOT better looking than that kit) or…
http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32432

as someone stated the 270r kit above which is a great deal. I’m pointing out this kit because its the only one I see available in our FS section depending on what your looking for the above kit is clean and not so aggressive

you can’t go wrong with your choice of version select or even look into origin if you want something more aggressive looking. But I suggest you look at the kit above its nicely priced and local, your look at over 1000 + shipping with other choices.

in terms of appearance WHEELS WHEELS WHEELS, VISUALLY they can make or break a car “especially” if your running ANY type of kit. Its another reason why your car looks alot worst (beyond that kit).

You gotta know what your building the car for if its not going to see the track much like you stated you won’t need to go all out on suspension and brake upgrades. Like stated above bushings would be a good idea.

Version select / origin stylish / vertex kit, the car needs it. but definately first thing is nice wheels and a good suspension.

if u don’t want to do a kit at all get the full jdm oem navan edition aero…

in my opinion kouki tails are better i like the style alot, but some people disagree. (they sell an led after market version here in japan which is now now available on ebay i like them depending on car color white and black i think they work well on)

also clear headlight lenses and clear or ambered corners.

things to think about…

hmm…this thread just gave me an idea

perhaps all you guys who are commenting on my kit, (or anybody else for that matter)

if you recommend a kit, see if you can find a link, or a picture. It’ll give myself, and others like me who are looking at kits a good idea of how it’ll look. Perhaps we can get a couple of opinions on different kits, and have a poll later on.

I’ll start. I was commented on a vertex kit, the pic i found are off the website:

http://www.vertex-usa.com/images/Nissan/S14Zenki/Vertex/main.jpg
http://www.t-and-e.co.jp/img/detail_images/vertex/s14_silvia_b/o4.jpg
http://www.vertex-usa.com/images/Nissan/S14Zenki/Vertex/front.jpg
http://www.vertex-usa.com/images/Nissan/S14Zenki/Vertex/side.jpg

they claim 100% fitment and that the kits are so durable, it’s used in d1

what do you guys think?

Vertex kits are sexy, and that would look sweet on your car, definitely better than your current kit… But as has been stated multiple times in this thread. GET GOOD RIMS… Good rims will make a crap kit look less crap, and bad rims will make the hottest body kit look like garbage.

perhaps you can post some pics of some rims?
i’m usually a fan of 5 spokes, the current ones i have actually aren’t that bad imo, just wrong size

however, starting to feel more of the multi-spokes now, you guys have any good examples?

I’ll find you some nice 4-lug rims when I get home…

Check out www.rbwheels.com they have JDM rims, and you can get’em in 4-lug.

The first set of nice wheels I found that come in 4 lug are the Gramlights 57-pro
17x9+25
They look like this:
http://www.stamfordtyres.com/site-images/rays-gramlights-57SPRO-lg.jpg
The only thing is, the 18’s don’t come in 4 lug.
There are a lot of other nice wheels that come in 4 lug, but you just have a bit smaller selection. All the ones I like and was going to suggest are 5 lug only wheels.

that’s not bad at all, keep the pics coming

fuck that knockoff shit. They fit like total poop.

works9 aero, some te37’s (good sizing of course) and dope coilovers.

/end.

I don’t know what you’re talking about Dan but authentic Vertex and even Version select fit great. Not everybody has 2000+ to spend on works9 or 3000+ to spend on TE37s.

With that said, I would return the body to stock and sell the kit. The wheels and stance in most cases make the car so go with some well sized wheels, and a good set of coilovers. Then you can start thinking about aero again.

Some knockoff aero fits better than original. I know for a fact that the knockoff Nismo diffuser for the G has perfect fitment, and the real Nismo piece fits like shit.

its all about ur personal style… everyone loves the clean vertex and versionselct and origin bodykit… i have one ^^ it looks very clean… but its all upto u … dont take other ppl opinions… just buy what u feel is hot and nice…i think ur bodykit is OK lookin…
BUTTTT RIMSS WISE i dun care what u get in terms of style… but PLEASE get good sizing… dont put x7 +40 on them… stock is x6.5 +42 …
Example…a decent fitment not aggressive wuld be 17x8 +15to20 or 17x9+25 i do not recommend anything higher then x9 +25 on s14… u can always get spacers to push it out so its less sunken but u have the money so why buy twice :slight_smile:

if u want my opinion on rims ^^ get x9 all around and anything lower offset then +20 BALLINNNNNN