Remix (the official before and after thread)

I was talking with KBB and i decided to start a thread on here for anyone who wants to post an original and edited image for others to see what was done … i think this can help some of the newer guys to understand that not everything comes straight out of the camera perfect (unless Jim shoots it with his 200 f2) :banghead … here is my first contribution … i will most likely post one per shoot

Sounds like fun, I’ll have to dig up some before and afters later tonight.

You do a pretty good job hiding it most the time but occasionally I spot certain things in your “photos” that lead me to believe that mass amounts of photoshopping and compositing of images has occured. Nothing blatant ever (well except domo) but stuff that just can’t be done with a single image.

That being said I still have no idea what the hell is going on with your B+A. How many images did you stitch together there? (assuming that’s what’s going on) and more importantly why exactly? The end result looks great and the object removal is pretty seamless, just not sure I understand the why’s and hows aside from that.

Here’s an oldie; Ill see what else I can dig up as well.

Before:

After:

its called the brenizer method and its 11 images stitched together to create a shallow dof with with a wide angle viewing point … its alot of work but i enjoy doing it … its something i like to do because it gives me a unique angle to certain images … if you dont mind pming me and letting me in on a few of the things you see in images so i can be more careful in the future ?

That’s pretty much what I thought was going on, but I had never heard of that method, I’ll have to read up on it sometime. It definitely is a cool look and I guess I just didn’t put 2 and 2 together that unless you had some super future lens your wide angle views and shallow DOF would be completely impossible. Thanks for sharing that and I’ll send you a PM but no worries, nothing I’ve seen was recent or at all noticeable really.

Anywho, heres mine from the shoot I did of Devin’s wagon. Still not great with photoshop but getting better.

Before

After

As Dan said, not all images come directly from the camera the way you want them to. The final version may appear to be natural, but often lots of little tweaking is needed.

In this image of the GT3 I wanted warm sunlight coming through the trees to create a more inviting, visually pleasing image. When you view the before and after below, the before seems flat and lacks deep color.

Before:

After:

Waynes Viper; as you can see the floor was a bit dirty. Spilled fluid on the concrete in front of the car, random debris on the floor, white balance was on the yellow side, and a distracting plane in partial view with a person standing next to it outside. With this location I wanted a super white highly blown out background to partially hide whats outside and to have a high-key style edit.

Before:

After:

BEFORE

AFTER

seems as tho you are a fan of HDR :wink:

I do love the HDR look, but this actually came about totally by accident :lol

just shows how important white balance is

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6227/6262570482_2831650bcb_b.jpg

wait … you guys edit and doctor photos? WTH

Wow really impressive Dan. Something from nothing

Big props to these guys. I know it’s time consuming sitting behind that monitor and editing.

thank Spilner :slight_smile:

before

after

That’s a good edit dan, I hadn’t even noticed and I have been looking for it in your pics latley lol

Nice work, amazing how much of the highlights you were able to recover. Clean work on the background too!

Here’s one, not of a vehicle, to switch it up. Almost everything was done during the RAW conversion. My only goal with this edit was to try and recreate the natural and wide range of colors and contrast my eyes had experienced. As you can see the shot out of the camera was dull, very much unlike the real thing.

Before

After

I know this edit isn’t as intensive as the others in this thread but I found it amazing the amount of detail/colors I was able to extract from the source image in a simple RAW conversion.

Also I’m going to make a request for more rig shot edits if one of you guys don’t mind digging one out. The more complicated the better :lol

yea buddy! … one of my favorite pics of the year … probably 3+ hrs work on that one … mixture of HDR and 2 other exposures plus i had a TON of cleaning up to do even moved windows to make them more proportional with the car

i like the chance to see the before and after . awesome work by everyone in this thread