Senators to [Facebook co-founder] Saverin: Don't come back... Ever.

Eduardo Saverin’s decision to leave the United States with his money, but not his citizenship, has apparently touched a nerve in the Senate.

Sens. Chuck Schumer and Bob Casey held a press conference Thursday morning on Capitol Hill where they outlined legislation that would prevent the Facebook co-founder from ever returning to the United States.

Saverin, who now lives in Singapore, renounced his U.S. citizenship earlier this year. He will become astronomically wealthy on Friday when his former venture is listed on the NASDAQ. By renouncing his citizenship, Saverin is likely to avoid capital gains taxes on his Facebook shares.

Schumer called Saverin’s decision “outrageous” and labeled his tactics a “scheme.”

“Saverin has turned his back on the country that welcomed him and kept him safe, educated him, and helped him become a billionaire,” Schumer said. “This is a great American success story gone horribly wrong.”

Saverin and his representatives insist the Brazilian native did not renounce his citizenship for tax reasons.

In statement to CNN on Thursday, Saverin said it was “unfortunate” that his choice had led to a debate “based not on the facts, but entirely on speculation and misinformation.”

“I am obligated to and will pay hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes to the United States government,” Saverin said. “I have paid and will continue to pay any taxes due on everything I earned while a U.S. citizen.”

Still, it seems likely that the move will help Saverin escape some of the hefty taxes he’d have to pay on his Facebook stake, though it’s not known exactly how much of the company Saverin currently owns.

He owned 5% of the company’s outstanding shares as recently as 2009, according to “The Facebook Effect,” by David Kirkpatrick, but he has sold off some of those shares since then. He was not listed among those owning 5% or more of the company in Facebook’s pre-IPO regulatory filings.

The Brazilian-born Facebook co-founder became a U.S. citizen in 1998 and has been living in Singapore since 2009, but the United States requires its citizens to pay income taxes no matter where they live. Saverin, who provided some of Facebook’s initial financing, has not played an active role in the company for many years.

Schumer and Casey are calling their bill the “Ex-PATRIOT Act.”

The proposal says that if a wealthy American seeks to renounce their citizenship, it will be presumed they have done so for tax purposes, unless the individual can convince the IRS otherwise.

If the person is unable to convince the IRS, they will be subject to 30% capital gains tax on future U.S. investments no matter where they live. Furthermore, they will not be allowed back into the United States. “Period,” Schumer said. “They could not set foot in this country again.”

Thoughts on this?

In my opinion, I think it’s bullshit (like most of Schumer’s words) that someone who moves out of the country and gives their citizenship up will never be allowed back in the country. Schumer (a huge anti-gun nut) is essentially criminalizing Saverin because he believes Saverin is trying to avoid paying taxes, which is ironic, considering in the US if you don’t pay taxes, you eventually go to jail… Costing people who do pay their taxes more money.

He is just a scapegoat and this whole deal was brought to attention due to all the FB IPO news.

Celebrities have been doing it for years to evade taxes before this guy was even born. :rofl This proposed bill will never gain any traction and support since alot of people are doing it and/or planned on doing it.

The proposal says that if a wealthy American seeks to renounce their citizenship, it will be presumed they have done so for tax purposes, unless the individual can convince the IRS otherwise.

Guilty before proven innocent :rofl. A little bit of liberity dies every single day. True Story.

Pot meet kettle.

I could care less for Schumers politics or his likely long term plan to run for president, however I agree with this specific view.

People go through great lengths to become a citizen of the US and even live a modest US lifestyle and pay taxes to support this country. Then there is a principle of the American dream, for which this guy is a poster boy. A dream that with passion, hard work and a little bit of luck you can be a self made man of wealth. Saverin is living proof of concept. There is no Canadian dream, Chienese dream, Jamaican dream etc. There might be a Mexicam dream, but that just consists of making to US…

This guy enjoyed all the fruits that the country provided with the advantages and the potential and then runs away and denouncing his citizenship? Might as well be a traitor, there is no honor or patriotism in that. He doesn’t want to be part of US, US doesn’t want him either.

I’d understand if they said that he couldn’t be a US citizen again, but to make it so he can’t even visit? That’s bs.

Vlad, as an immigrant, I’m sure that has some effect on how you feel, but as a non-immigrant, I feel the proposed bill is bullshit and as Rocket said, it literally makes someone guilty until proven innocent.

Thats essentially how Russia treats all their citizens especially male, although for different reasons but that’s why I haven’t been back.

If you’re born there you are essentially theirs whether you denounce the citizenship or not and they would try to keep you there, especially if you’re still in the mandatory draft age.

At least US is being nice about it and giving him a heads up.

What I don’t agree is in making a case out of him specifically and not a general rule, unless I misread something.

Edit: you mean Rocket instead of Gundam, their sigs got you confused :lol

Well they intend on making it a new law now because of how much publicity he’s getting from denouncing citizenship. Note the bold in OP how they’re calling it the “Ex-Patriot Act”.

If that discourages others from leaving, than I don’t see the harm.

Unless it fails and it only encourages all others to jump ship before it’s too late.

How would you feel if Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Donald Trump, Steve Jobs or any rich celebrities started to denounce citizenship and ran away? It’s just a dirty move.

Mark Zuckerburg isn’t doing this either.

Isn’t this the guy that made the movie about himself and his little sob story - social network?

I couldn’t care less if other celebrities left the country lol.

It also assumes he’s leaving the country for tax purposes. He’s lived in Singapore for the past three years. Here’s what he’s said about the move:

The decision was strictly based on my interest of living and working in Singapore. I am obligated and I will pay hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes to the American government. I already paid and I will keep paying whatever taxes I owe based on my time as a U.S. citizen.

I also found this interesting:

Due to shitty reading comprehension, I just saw this part:

Unless the individual can convince the IRS that they haven’t done so for tax purposes, the IRS will prospectively impose a capital gains tax of 30% on the individual’s future investment gains, no matter where he or she resides. If the individual continues to avoid these taxes, they would be inadmissible to the United States forever, thereby closing the loophole that currently exists for renounced U.S. citizens to visit the United States for 60 days per year without any tax responsibility.

So essentially, they’d want him to pay taxes on capital gains even when he’s not a citizen of the US, and then if he doesn’t, they say he’s not allowed back here.

Another interesting part:

Banishing individuals because they are successful and because they freely seek countries with reduced taxation appetites sends the wrong message to the remaining U.S. citizens still stuck on the ‘reservation.’ It says that you are only as good as the tax revenue that you produce. It’s also horribly vindictive because other people who were never U.S. citizens can still visit the country as tourists. A record number of 1,780 people gave up their U.S. passports in 2011 — a dramatic rise from the 235 persons who did so in 2008. I expect many more. However, what is more harmful is the chill that it sends to both U.S. entrepreneurs and non-U.S. entrepreneurs considering the United States for residency.

Also, the Ex-PATRIOT Act is an acronym… For “Expatriation Prevention by Abolishing Tax-Related Incentives for Offshore Tenancy” Act. LOL

If he is in fact leaving to avoid taxes then I think its complete bullshit and that he shouldn’t be let back in.

The thing is that it can not be proven as to why he is leaving. We can all assume it’s for tax purposes, but I was reading where in Singapore you’re not allowed to do certain business investments unless you’re a citizen there. He’s been living there for a few years already.

By this logic, are we going to kick out people who have interest-bearing bank/investment accounts overseas?

Fuck him , let him pay for what we gave him . If not what we gave him all the other imports that don’t pay .

So every millionaire… haha

What exactly did we give him? We used the site he gave us, no?

He went to private schools, so it’s not like tax-payers helped him. So we didn’t give him shit.

He lived in our country and helped create a billion dollar site in our country. Freedom isn’t free.

It was his country too… It’s America.

I guess I’m just sick of people coming here doing them and then bouncing .

It’s the American dream for a reason.

I had a dream once , but I’m a white American born ,hard working , support my family type . So we get to pay for there dreams so they can go back home or away from here loaded.

This has nothing to do with race. And we didn’t pay for it, as I said he went to private schools his whole life in America. Given that, I doubt his family was on any programs for needy families. Unless you served in the military, you did not contribute to his well being at all.