Small Block Chevy Guys

Mine just leaked oil from the valve covers, rear seal, front seal, intake manifold…nevermind.

Bingo.

305 = :tdown:

They are worthless, and like said above for the cost it especially isnt worth it, 350s are a dime a dozen and can be made fast for very cheap.

Like FASTMOFO said they can be made to scoot pretty good, i know his did back in the day but when he changed to the 350 is was night and day. Mine was decent as well but i didnt waste to much time with it other than bolts-ons.

There are a few guys that are dedicated to wasting their time to prove everyone wrong about 305s, they strapped a turbo on it, another strapped a procharger on it. I know the turbo car has seen 9s, but it will break for sure. The guy in the craigslist ad claiming 400hp? doubtful. $1000 bux is too much for a boat anchor.

Mike

I had one in a Camaro back when. To be honest, I don’t remember the year of the car. Damn Alzheimer’s. What were we talking about? Oh yeah, 305’s. It had some torque up to about 3,000rpm and then died (TPI setup, as I recall). What a dog, would’ve made a good towing motor though. I put in a decent 350 and man, no comparison. Yeah, you can make it better if you are bound and determined but since 350’s are as ubiquitous as dirt and about as cheap, just get one of them.

I know numerous people that have gone to the junkyard and found 350s in good condition,freshen them up a bit with some new bearings and then toss a good cam/heads combo on it and run low 12’s.

low 12’s high/11’s are not uncommon even with budget vortec heads.