Small Block Chevy Guys

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/pts/524339703.html

This got me to thinking… what kind of numbers can you pull out of a 305. I think this guy is stretching some numbers, but in reality what can a built 305 make? Could you make a real rev happy one like the old school 302/rare 303 ?

the block wont hold up, these things have a habit of craking under normal use without any mods !!

coveted hiltons motor?

nah not my engine.

but as far as the cracking of the block.

i had a high out put 305 with a stock crank and stock rods putting 396 to the crank. (the heads were built, cam, pistons,header,intake,carb) no overbore just a hone.

i was shifting it at 7200 with no problem’s, with a 308 rear.

also, that engine did an 11 minute burnout and 13 minute burnout at 75 mph + the first time i won the burnout pits.

it went to the burnout pits 3 times (6 burnouts), my shortest burnout was 7 minutes.

tho i did have the center of my headers glowing orange during the 13 minute burnout.

but the engine didnt even hit 200 after full days at lancaster making 20 + runs, or doing burnouts for the edge at summet.

I Miss that engine and the turbo 350 that was behind it.

with that said / babbling on about the engine.

id say this guy isnt making 400 + but probably close to 400 with that build. depends on the pistons/ timing / heads

i was 11:1 12 degrees advanced on the timing.

You can make power with them, you would just make more with same parts with more c.i. Also, like mentioned…theres stories of 305’s being weaker. I had a 305 with headers, intake, small shit…and got me almost 300k mi. when I was in my teens, so you KNOW it was beat on. Then again, it could have cracked something…I would have never known. Just add a qt. oil, top off the coolant, rub some dirt on it…it was ready for a roadtrip. :wink:

I think 430hp is pushing it…I had a 305 with a cam,4bbl intake,holley carb,cheap headers, thing ripped. but no 400hp

orangeiroc had a 305 done up im sure he will chime in

67-69 302’s were rated at 275HP and they had 11-1 comp, I doubt any of these 305’s made more then that at the crank.

ill be making 500rwhp or so when my new setup is said and done

Guy I used to work with had a 305 in a blue Monte Carlo that was close to if not over 400. Anyone who raced at lancaster and NYIRP would know the car. As well as his current 66’ Chevelle.

Why build up a 305?

305’s are garbage but they can still make over 300hp. I had an LG4 in my Z28 and deceided to go with a 350 instead. Cost of building a 305 versus getting a 350 block and building it up make the idea of a 305 pretty dumb.

unless your just going to throw nitrous on it.

i had a free engine, thats the Only reason i built it.

Even a free 305 isn’t worth putting the money into though right?

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42977

372 at the crank with just a few parts. 305’s arent quite as bad as people think even though the bore is small.

Brian

the thing that sucks about a 305 is they are the same stroke as a 350 but a smaller bore, so they are heavier. the 302’s had the same bore as a 350 but a tiny stroke, hence why they like the spin high rpm’s.
they also never put a decent set of heads on 305’s. So maybe with a fuck ton of compression, the fully ported heads and the right cam/intake/carb combo, i guess. but its so much easier to make power with a 350. also i don’t believe the 305’s ever came with a 4 bolt bottom end, so spinning them at high rpm’s isn’t the greatest idea in the world.

i was doing a budget build when i was 17, it was a little goal of mine.

2000$ to go 12 seconds that was cost of car and tranny build included.
i met my goal.

i had a ton of free stuff laying around.

pistons, cam,headers.

the onlything i really bought for the engine, was bearings and gaskets.

the rest of the stuff i had sitting around from my circle track days

that was the only reason… if i had a 350 i would much rather have punched it .030 and built that.

I will bet a weeks pay that thing doesn’t make 400hp. All it is is a stock engine with a carb and intake, plus a shitty cam. Maybe 350 on a good day and nitrous. 400, no way.

302’s were made with performance in mind (forged crank, ect). 305’s not so much.

Only reason I put those parts on the 305 was because they bolted to the 350. I personally wouldn’t go as far as spec’ing a head and cam combo for a 305.

I’d love to build an old school firebird with a 303 and make it rev to like 8K+…

My 305 HO in my camaro was pretty strong for just taking off all the smog, a tune, exhaust work, shift kit and 3.73’s.

In high school I thought the car was uber awesome.

The best thing about small blocks is that they can go 300K+ get the snot beat out of them, leak everything and still run fine lol.

:word: thats how I was and how my engine was in my fake monte SS.

why were they so prone to leaking everything?