Ford 302 = Weak???

I have always been an import guy, but never look down on a well built American V8. I was recently in an arguement on another forum about a supercharged 302 mustang that ran 11.99. He said the car had 400whp, or 536 crank hp. He said this was about the limit of the block. Is this true? I always thought the Ford 5L was alot stronger than that. I know lots of people that have Chevy 350’s at 400whp all the way up to 600whp and they are having no problems. I cant believe theFord V8 would be so weak. I am sure someone on here can inform me as to why this is.

the 302 is a very good motor. It is every bit as strong and cheap to build as the chevy 350. Both motors are excellent to build.

So why are people telling me the block cant handle much more than 400whp? I was confused because I was told it was a decent motor for boost as well.

:dunno:

If the motor sucked, why would thousands of people still build them for racing and street performance?

Oh, I am not dissagreeing with you. I was just wondering why people are arguing with me about this. Anyone have some links to high HP 302’s? Preferably from the PA area.

actually redneck doesnt know shit about the 302 blocks. they are weak and about 500 to 600 hp they will spilt in half. this is why you need an aftermarket block or a well prepped block to make more power. but that dude should be seeing better times unless he is full weight

yuck, only 500-600. What will the 4.6L hold?

about that or a little more for the first ones made. the newer ones will hold more. the 4.6 cobra holds over 1000hp

uh oh, he said the C word… :blue:

sadly this is true, quik knows everything and everyone else knows nothing

hick boy, you said they can handle just as much as your typical 350 which isnt correct.

which is why I said that your original statement was true. I don’t know a lot about how much HP a 302 can handle. I do know a billion people have them and race them and not all of them have new blocks though. How much can a typical 350 handle?

the 302 block starts getting weak around 500-550 RWHP

They are defintely weaker than 350 chevys. 10 head bolts=low boost to keep head gaskets on. Short deck on the block=no strength on bottom end without girdles. But this equipment isn’t necessary till 450hp and up. Naturally aspirated they are good foundations for daily driven street cars. I say once you are over 450 they are poop unless you use an aftermarket block. Ihave witnessed all forms of carnage on 302s so I have seen firsthand what happens.

ask venom, I forget his numbers somewhere around 500hp. His block split in the 93 cobra

But for stock, the 302 will last a very long time. I’m Proof :kekegay:

2bolt mains = Ford 302
4 bolt mains = Most 350’s

Have seen rods bend due to nitrous at 150hp shot
9 lbs boost= broke stock crank
12 lbs boost= pulled head bolts out of block before it was studded

Am I wrong, or is the only difference between the cobra 4.6 and standard ones are the 4v heads? Also I heard claims of the 4.6 block being able to with stand 2000 hp.
Regarding the 5.0 it is generaly accepted across the board that when you reach 500 horse power you motor will divide.

mine’s pushin 200,000, still strong, tranny’s shit though

i hate 5.slows but i’m not gonna rip them. once you are going that fast you should think about a girdle, especially on stock factory block. There are also so many varaibles, how good the casting was, who built it, how it was cared for…You can’t judge a whole by a few. that said, i still hate 5.slows.

girdle dont do shit!!! its to keep your parts together. it wont help a 302 block at all. the crack starts in the lifter valley.

no the cobra block is totally different then a GT block.