Ford 302 = Weak???

ok, i don’t know shit about fords, i was just making a generalized statement, but all the other stuff i said would still apply.

girdles are nice for chevys. especially on a 2 bolt bolt. see a 302s internals are very strong. they can withstand alot of power but its our casting flaw thats the weak link

i have heard of the 302 splitting down the middle w/ around 500 hp too. i have yet to see it 1st hand, but im sure i will. But swhit, for as many bone stock 302’s i see bottle fed that run strong, i’d run the piss out of one too.

as for the 4.6 4v-- they are basically an import motor-- dohc design w/ awesome head cfm flow. I would love to fuck w/ this motor. maybe in the future a mod motor might find its way into a t bucket or model a :slight_smile: but still slap a powerglide behind it.

:ugh2: sorry :nuts:
I have seen more internal parts break on those motors than anything else

ok 600hp sorry everything has a limit, also if abused shit will break

4.6L 2v/3v (GT engine) good for about 450-500rwhp
4.6L 4v (Mach 1 engine) ~ 500-550rwhp
4.6L 4v (Cobra engine) ~1000rwhp
5.4L 4v (Ford GT engine) ~1500rwhp
5.7L/6.0L* LS1/LS2/LS6 ~550-600rwhp

*not referring to the iron block… referring to the 6.0L LS2

Hate to go against redneck on this one (let alone agree with Quik), but 302 blocks are in fact shit. 500hp and the fuckers literally split in half right down the middle.

aluminun block ls1 have seen 1000hp

but still, a reliable 450hp 302 is gonna make respectable times at the track :boink

agreed :beer:

:burnout:

I guess know I know, and knowledge is power. 4.6L Cobra engine is good and the 302 is bad.

just do yourself a favor and stay away from Ford altogether

yeah… get a 4g63 where chunks of the block break off

do i hear a mutha fuckin :owned:

i thought the 4.6 aluminum block was good to 1200 hp +

not stock, the block may hold the power, but the pistons/rods will take a shit way before that

block yes, not the pistons/rods

Block in the 4v 4.6L Cobra version is good till about 2000hp it’s an 8 Bolt main design. The crank has been tested up to about 1800. Pistons/Rods little over 1000hp.

As for it being an import motor? Youre actually wrong, Ford actually invented the first practical use OHC engine. And have used them since the 60’s

the 4.6/5.4L Triton motors were designed in house by Ford, originally for the F Series trucks. Theyre modular in the sense of being able to interchange parts between the different sizes for different applications

EX:
Cams from a SOHC 4.6 can be used on an SOHC 5.4
Heads from a DOHC 5.4 can be used on a DOHC 4.6

but can’t go SOHC > DOHC

I dont like the 4g63 too much. I was always an SR20DET fan. Stock bottom end on that engine can handly 525+ whp and when built they have hit 700+. Sad that a 2L can do that but Fords 5L cant. The 4.6L does seem impressive though.