So im posting with my new FIOS

my house is west of union, i live on main st, and i got it

Isn’t DSL supposed to be slower than cable?

I do realize we are talking about TW/Adelphia here . . .

There are so many different factors that can come into play though. How many neighbors around you have TW. How close you are to the DSL router. Certain cases one might be faster than the other.

Yes, but DSL has better latencies than cable in most instances. With DSL you almost always have a max of 10 hops before your destination. With cable it is almost always 30+

Yeah, I should run one of those speed tests from my house w/ TW cable.

Its kinda sad.

I am paying about 50/mo for tw cable… I use it for internet and the ocassional dl these days, the most I have gotten out of it in awhile is about 450 kbs from sites and some torrents

How do cable networks have more hops then DSL thats routing/network topology issue.

latency would be high ping response times…

And the DSL vs Cable debate

What speed does cable advertise?

I think the highest residental speed you can around here for DSL is 3meg. Some places have 5meg and higher.

http://www22.verizon.com/content/ConsumerFios/
Enter your phone number if u have a landline, doesnt work well with vonage
or enter your address…

There are about 4 Verizon trucks on my street, they said that end of january, mid february that FiOS will be available. I am thinking 30mb/5mb.

Yeah, DSL networks tend to have better routing than cable networks, probably because of having less bandwidth. Adelphia/TW’s network is a mess. Run a traceroute/tracert/etc from any DSL connection and any Cable line and I guarantee you there will be less hops, usually less than half, on DSL compared to Cable.

yea i lieve like 3 mins down the other way from turbociv and i dont have it?!?!?!?!?!?!!?wtf

i’m definitely getting this tomorrow, with free router and installation, score

holy shit!! i’m only paying $15

i have it too suckers. FIOS > all.