damnit... can't get DSL at my new place

but when I entered my number it said that FIOS is available :tup: fuckin A…

I thought it wasnt all setup yet? Oh well, check with verizon… you may have it too

I am jealous…get it and post some benchmarks that out-do kevin!

Still not here in West seneca, but the fuckin verizon depot is flying the fios flag literally two blocks from my apt on union and seneca.

dude the cheap fios is like 34.99 or 39.99 i forget. Its both cheaper than time warner and faster. You might want to call verizon directly, that thing on the website isn’t always accurate.

DSL sucks, who cares?

:word:

I got some really shitty speeds with DSL, I would get worse latency in online games with DSL then I did with my dialup! Went right to cable and now its nicer

cant wait to go FiOS

no FIOS avail for me yet either :frowning: time warner/adelphia costs way too much i need another alternative!

Ya know, it’s funny too… I called Adelphia/TW today to cancel my service at X date for when I move and the lady asked me

“do you want to transfer your service for no added cost?”

me “no thanks… Cable is just too expensive, I think I’m going to go with Verizon Fiber Optic, it’s supposidly available in the area I’m moving to”

her "Sir, did you know that Verizons service is about half the speed of our service… "

me “ummm… I have the fastest speed TW offers, and VZN is advertizing more than double that for cheeper”

her “sir, VZN has all kinds of surcharges and they charge you to install it”

me “well, I guess it’s a good thing I know what I’m doing then… and speaking of surcharges, I get charged every month for my modem from TW”

blah blah blah… it went on for a little, all the while I’m just shaking my head thinking “does she think she’s talking to some non-nerd or some shit?”

but in the end, she told me that if I stayed on with TW, she’d give me 6 moths of service @ 20.00 a month. I told her I’m going to call VZN to make sure it IS availible first (just in case their website is wrong), but will probably take her up on it… so I guess it’s a win win situation for the time being.

I honestly think TW is SCREWED when VZN gets all their shit in order… atleast if they dont drop their prices/give some incentive for people NOT to switch

I got some really shitty speeds with DSL, I would get worse latency in online games with DSL then I did with my dialup! Went right to cable and now its nicer

bah, I could honestly care less about online gaming… I’m looking for performance vs price and DSL has cable beat IMO. 15.99 isnt a bad deal for broadband as long as you arent doing anything too crazy with it (the celeron of IP’s if you will? lol)

It’s kind of wierd because Adelphia was competing with FiOS in several areas. However TW seems to have no interest in it, or just pretend to not notice it.

just got off the phone with Verizon… FIOS IS avalible in that area… fing sweet.

only a few downsides though 1. it’s a 6 hour installation and you NEED to be there, with the computer thats getting it for the whole install. (kind of sucks IMO) 2. You can only get it standalone on a credit card… no paper billing (which also sucks as I prefer writing checks) and 3. you need to sign a contract which I dont really like doing.

I said that I’d think about it and call em back. I need to double check with the landlord and make sure he doesnt mind that it gets installed

way to not even read the thread! The title was sarcastic, Fios is the reason for the thread.
[jumps on hate walter bandwagon]
so booyah motherfucker i told you. You cocky rich midget
[/eweb asshole]

where did u move steve? fuck ur like a hobo for christ sakes.

lol

Keep us posted. I checked Verizon’s website 2 weeks ago, and FIOS was available for my area, but FIOS TV wasn’t. I’m waiting until both are ready before switching, but I would be very interested in your experience once you are up and running.

lol I’m not there yet, my lease isnt up until the end of this month. I’m moving back out to the Hamburg area :tup:

Rx3, yeah, she said that it wasnt available yet but should be soon. BTW I think it was like 45.00 for 15Mbps down and 2Mbps up :tspry:

edit: and you could even go crazier and get the 180.00 30mbps/5mbps lol… a little overkill for home though

Up to 5 Mbps/2 Mbps FREE $34.95
Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps FREE $44.95
Up to 30 Mbps/5 Mbps FREE $179.95

right now the highest TW offers is 6meg/2 meg at 59 or 69 cant remember.

so fios is the shit, west seneca is next after OP is done. even my uncapped shit cant compete with 15 meg down, lol. limitations of copper.

ya know… I wonder if you’ll really see that kind of speed too often though. I mean, wouldn’t the sites/servers you’re connecting to be a bottle neck 9 times out of 10?

all the sites i goto are fiber, so no.

mostly OC lines, so def not a bottleneck on theyre end, the only bottleneck would be if your not too close to the CO, but its not that big of a difference.

when is gonna be in north buffalo?

http://www.verizon.com

Go there and punch in your address.

The FIOS install is sick…They spend a lot of time and its a bunch of hardware.