Toyota guaranteed NASCAR win in 2008?

I would have to say yes…

cliffs: Gibbs racing is moving to Toyota (Tony Stewart & Dennis Hamlin)

For some reason I think they will have more success than the Michael Waltrip clowns and Red Bull crew. Not only will they stay in the top 35 and actually make races but they should be able to win. By no means am I a fan of either driver, but still I will be happy to see Toyota in victory lane.

dumb move by JGR, they lost a ton of proven successful factory support from chevy, but hey, i guess theyd be leader of a shitty squad, as opposed to second fiddle to hendrick

There is no guaranteed win but this does improve their chances. I wonder what toyota offered to gibbs (aka how much money).

toyota has been in victory lane almost every year… in the trucks. but i think this is a good move.

and the answer is yes.

now they just need a points race.

Yeah right, totally stupid getting in victory lane.

Joe Gibbs is a VERY smart man. He is looking at what Toyota can do in the long run. The engine has elements in it that are arguably superior in design, but not fully developed yet. Last year the Toyota teams were not quite up to the level of the top-tier teams, and the results showed. This year things will be different. I don’t think money was a factor, Joe likes those championships.

JGR could have done the same in a Chevy. Hendrick is still going to dominate them. This was a qualifying restrictor plate race, it doesn’t mean shit. A few years ago, the year Earnhardt died, the Dodges were dominant all week long at Daytona, yet it took them most of the year to actually rack up a victory. None of them have the caliber team of Gibbs, so I expect him to do better, not to mention that Toyota has a year of Cup experience under their belt, but I will be shocked if JGR is as competitive as they were last year.

the new chassis has leveled the playing field between the manufacturers. all the notes the chevy and ford teams had to look back to for track setups mean nothing with the new car. so this is a BIG reason toyota will be able to compete for a championship this year.

That’s why I said win, and not championship. The easiest place for Toyota is the restricter plate races.

I’d be suprised to see any Toyota in the top 12 by year’s end.

Gibb’s has argueably the best suspension guy (springs and shocks) in the buisness. and they are sharing their information with all the toyota teams. i have no doubt they will win races this year and i bet they make a strong run for the championship.

I bet you are wrong.

How much do you want to put on it?

$100.00 says a Toyota will finish in the top 12 of the Nascar Sprint Cup series.

toyota win, nationwide

[quote=“Jagermeister,post:13,topic:35163"”]

[quote=fairgentleman Z;837154]

[quote=Jagermeister;837127]

I bet you are wrong.[/quote]How much do you want to put on it?[/quote]$100.00 says a Toyota will finish in the top 12 of the Nascar Sprint Cup series.[/quote]
$100.00 says I will be suprised by it.

toyota wins first cup race…toyota in points lead.

the 18 car is on a really strong streak. Kyle busch drives like ricky bobby though. He’ll get a few DNF’s in.

They got their asses in gear in the offseason, im impressed.

Not really, as MWR still sucks balls. It has much more to do with Gibbs racing and their engine department than Toyota.

Just a little update. Currently three toyota’s in the top 12. Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, and Tony Stewart. Toyota is also leading the series in Manufacturers Championship points.

:smiley:

Standings
Sprint Cup
Driver Pts Behind
1 Kyle Busch 1690 — TOYOTA
2 Jeff Burton 1611 79
3 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 1556 134
4 Denny Hamlin 1500 190 TOYOTA
5 Clint Bowyer 1490 200
6 Jimmie Johnson 1442 248
7 Carl Edwards 1400 290
8 Tony Stewart 1397 293 TOYOTA
9 Kevin Harvick 1396 294
10 Jeff Gordon 1326 364
11 Greg Biffle 1308 382
12 David Ragan 1266 424
*** Chase For The Cup Cutoff ***
13 Ryan Newman 1264 426
13 Kasey Kahne 1264 426
15 Martin Truex Jr. 1230 460

yup, and I am still surprised by it. Especially by Mr. Busch, totaly didn’t see that coming with his hot head going to a new team.