Montoya

NASCAR

what.

:bsflag:

no real racecar driver would leave the pinnacle of motorsports technology to go race with a bunch of mentally challenged hicks in a chromeoly brick with pushrods and steelies. :stuck_out_tongue:

no kidding.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascar-montoya&prov=ap&type=lgns

what a fucking retard.

Wow, that’s a hell of a comedown. From Indy 500 winner to F1, to NASCAR. I guess you could say his career just jumped the shark.

I wonder in a year from now if any of you who will have given Nascar a fair shot based on his cross over and decided to watch a race, if you opinions will change. I am a fan already…and I am not trying to start an argument…but I have always been curious with the entry of drivers from other forms of motorsport and the entry to Toyota into the landscape with rumors of Nissan to follow will change the outlook of the sport.

I’ve watched the Busch cars run at the Glen when they were running as a support race. They were alot of fun to watch, honestly, they were more exciting even than the GTP cars that were running, bcause you could tell the drivers actually wer eworking hard to get the cars around the course. The rest of the races made it look easy.

I think alot of the best drivers could jump into a NEXTEL cup car and do pretty well, as long as their team is up to snuff. I can’t say that the same would happen if the NASCAR guys jumped into an IRL or F1 car. Sure there are exceptions, but I think that is generally the case. Hell, Jeff Gordon even hinted at that during the USGP during an interview. (FWIW, he is one of the NASCAR guys who has no problems jumping into just about any car and going fast. He proved that at Race of Champions)

I guess he’s all about the money. Pretty sad.

And I could care less what anyone thinks of that. He is a great driver, and should stay in F1.

My opinion of NASCAR will only change when they stop calling driving around in left hand circles 500 times a “race” and god forbid if they throw in a few RIGHT hand turns.

Im not saying its easy but I rather watch my clothes tumble dry its basicly the same thing.

maybe he likes making money :gotme:

At the end of the day, it’s just a job. Go with the money is. Even if you don’t like Nascar - if someone paid you money to go do it, you would.

I have given Nascar it’s fair chance, and then some. The only races that are remotely fun to watch are the road coarses. Most people watch Nascar for the crashes, and then the world stops when someone noteworthy dies. My distaste for it has nothing to do with pushrods (alot of people like to jump on the “pushrods suck” bandwagon"). I just think it’s about as exciting as watching golf or bowling.

yea he prolly gettin a few million

People, In Montoya’s case, its not about the money…

Montoya took a pay cut going from F1 to NASCAR. F1 guys make bank compared to all other forms of auto racing.

Why did he do it?? I don’t know. Maybe because of the big accident he was just involved in with his teammate or maybe he wants to be more popular in the States. F1 is like World Cup soccer…huge everywhere but here.

NASCAR is making a push at going world wide, and this along with the Toyota move will support that. In the end, it is good for the evolution of the sport.

Also- What is the one thing that all racers want and need?? Sponsors. That is the name of the game in autoracing. When you compare the corporate world of NASCAR to F1, Champ car, etc. there are a couple factors which sponsors prefer with NASCAR.
1.) The size of the car allows for much larger, readable, and more sponsor graphics. You can fit up to 5 or 6 readable graphics on a car. Try fitting more than 2 or 3 on a champ car. You can barely read the large one on the side b/c of the available room.
2.) Nascar venues are fan friendly. You can go to a race, have a seat, and be able to watch the entire race. American fans don’t have the attention span to watch one or two turns every 2 minutes. They want to see all the action.

At the end of the day, it’s all about the SPONSOR money.

It’s quite clear IMO why he jumped the boat (or couch as the case may be). Montoya isnt winning races, he’s the #2 driver, and he’s struggling in F1. He also was NOT resigned for next year with ANY F1 teams, not even as a test driver. Now we can assume that it’s just late in the season and something was going to come up, but I can see why he did this.

I think not. Take a look at the open-wheel racers that have tried NASCAR, other than tony stewart they’ve all failed, and some of them were pretty good. (Fittipaldi and Andretti come to mind off-hand.)
Also, they did a thing where Gordon and an F1 driver (It may have even been montoya) switched cars, and Gordon completely showed the guy up.

I don’t think it was for money.
He left a $14,000,000 contract for a $5,000,000 contract.
I know he can make more than $5,000,000 with endorsements but he probably made several million in endorsements with F1.
Maybe there was a backroom deal with NASCAR because you know it will get a lot more attention in South America now.
This guy is probably like God in Columbia.

Montoya is an incredible driver but that’s not what wins NASCAR races.:wink:

What is?

Depends how the script reads.