Up to $100,000,000.00 for storm clean up??????

How do they get these numbers?

430 work hours left in 2006.(straight time)

430 x $25.00/hour = $10,750 per worker x 500 workers = $5,375,000.00.
(If you are getting $25/hour to run a chipper you are waaaay over paid)

$100,000,000.00? (scratches head)

I realize equipment costs more but, come on $100,000,000.00?!?

On the radio today they said a chipper costs $1,100.00 per hour. WTF?
Are they using helicoptors to chip up the limbs?:biglaugh:

You could build a stadium for that kind of money and that takes material, a lot more skill, a lot more time, etc.

How much is going directly to Giambra’s pocket?

Oh well it is only money.(our money)

where did you get the $100,000,000 figure? What did it include? Overall damage? etc?

I heard 3000 workers btw

Thats because they hired tree clearing companies from Alabama, oh so I’ve heard.

On WBEN today they said Giambra said up to $100 million.

We could get illegals for less than $1 million.:biglaugh:

I’d easily believe it if they’re claiming the storm cost $100 million in damage. Hell, my father in law can account for 20 mil of it. (American Brass lost a few multi-million dollar copper furnaces when the power went out, the furnaces cooled, and the copper froze.)

I doubt if he’s trying to claim that the cleanup and power restoration alone cost $100 million. I’m not surprised that the storm has cost the area $100 million or more.

Well chippers are pretty expensive… the insurance for a company that runs a chipper is fucking ridiculous, you also need a dump truck with a chipper box, etc.

I don’t know about $100,000,000 but I know its not cheap to run these operations, especially when they are in from other states, and they need to take care of hotels, food, overtime, travel expenses and more for these companies. There are only so many chippers in the city.

wow, think about everyone thats working… called in people from all around… then city jobs, towns… overtime… i know people working 80+ hours a week to help clean up… and yours going to sit there and say there getting too much? lets see you get out there and wrk 80+ hours a week outside in the rain to clean up… think about what you say before you say it

dont try to reason with AWDrifter, it goes in one ear and out the other. He probably blames the storm on NAMBLA and Hillary.

When my father worked at Dupont Sodium, they had blankets to rap the vessels just in case of a power outage, and after 7 hours, the vessel would still cool enough to let the sodium to set, and pretty much that would be the end of the company.

I never said it wasn’t hard work.
Its not rocket surgery, like I said we can get illegals to do it much cheaper.:biglaugh:
Illegals will sleep in the trucks which would save a ton of money.:biglaugh:
The number of hours does not determine base pay.

Giambra said up to $100 million to clean up the debris, he didn’t mention any private costs.

If you read the other thread you would have seen that I said that the people in DC control the weather.<tinfoil hat>:biglaugh:

C’mon… do i need to be the one who says it?

Unions.

Your pay rate is not calculated corectly. If the avg. worker receives $25.00/hr there is also insurance and benefits.This would bring the hourly rate to $55.00 including the cost of living expenses. Remeber the companies that did the work are not a charitable organization and losses from the the power outages must be recouped to improve the 4Q results which still be lower than forcasted.

KK

is your daddy an autoworker? you’re a real suck.

200 million is the estimate in the Town of Tonawanda alone.

that’s exactly what i was getting at.

For example:

Hourly rate of laborer…$20
fringe/benefits (79% rate/hr)…$15.80
insurance (35%/hr)…$7
SHIFT Premium at 17%…$7.25
Overtime…@50% std pay + SP…$13.63

Regular = $42.80/hr
Overtime = $63.68/hr

BEFORE LABOR MARKUP… add 35% for company profit and your looking at a $20/hr job costing the consumer $85.96/hr on OT.

Now add in:
Cost of Living Buffalo (Davis Bacon rate)…$65/day per person
Materials/consumables (i.e saftey equipment)… ~$5/day per person

it all adds up very quickly and this is just for Labor… now factor in equipment costs (including maintanence and fuel)

EDIT: Go to any auto service station and you’ll see the hourly rate is $70/hr (minimum)… does this mean the guys working on your car or getting $70/hr? no.

EDIT: [size=2]added Shift Premium for working 2nd shift, i screwed up and listed the 17% as Overtime pay. Overtime Pay has been added[/size]

Lyrics or ban!

• karma points.

The scale of this is huge. On the news last night Channel 2 timed an Amherst crew to see how long it took them to clear the debris in front one ONE HOUSE.

It took 10 minutes. Now think about the number of houses in Amherst alone. And this is just taking the branches and dropping them in a dump truck. They still have to go somewhere else, dump them, and chip them.

This was the exact reason Satish didn’t want to just sign off on a contractor ASAP, because the cost is going to be HUGE. Some of the board members were acting like this debris was pilled on top of the residents of Amherst and if we didn’t have it all removed in 24 hours we were all going to die. I’m completely fine with the shit staying piled at the curb a while longer if it means we find a contractor to do this at a much better rate. If the disaster declaration doesn’t come through the local governments, and ultimately the taxpayers, are going to be picking up the tab.

$100,000,000 will be a low number, actual costs will probably be 2 or 3 times that.