What ever happened to real racing?

Upon sipping my 20oz of Mountain Dew here at the office and reading over a few of DK’s posts on this website, I got to thinking… What ever happened to REAL production car racing? None of this NASCAR bullshit, not drag racing with top fuel dragsters, not “street racing”… real, production car racing around a real racetrack (Laguna Seca anyone?). I know it happens, and I know a few on here partake in it (or close to it)… but it isn’t nearly as popular as FAGCAR or HVCC Drift events :lol or anything like that. I used to watch NASCAR back in the days of Dale Earnhardt Sr., but I guess I just lost interest in it over the years as they went more “mainstream”, so to speak.

Discuss.

How about local street stock racing? Taking an old Monte Carlo and making a race car out of it. Or they have 4 cylinder street stock racing too.

Nascar hasnt had a car that looked like a production car since 1988 when GM quit making G bodies.

Carbs and 4 speeds? Get with the times.

Dirt track racing still holds a place in my heart. I grew up at the valley, spending every saturday night there. I hadnt gone in about 12 years, went last year for the first time and it was still a blast

Uh…what?

ALMS, Grand Am Rolex and Koni, BTCC, FIA GT, LeMans, Formula 1, Formula 2000/Ford/Renault/BMW/3, WTCC, DTM, JGTC, Porsche Supercup, IMSA GT3, MX5 Cup, TDi Cup, SCCA, NASA, BMWCCA, HSR, PBOC…

Formula 1 is THE MOST WATCHED sports spectacle in the world - more than soccer. We happen to live in the ONLY part of the world that doesnt embrace road racing, but it’s out there. It just wont be covered on Fox anytime soon (exception: 4 F1 races are actually on Fox this year).

Like I said… they exist, but they don’t seem to be very popular. I certainly don’t hear very many talking about such events on here, however drifting around town streets I hear about on an almost constant daily basis. haha

I hear you there. When I was in Europe I watched a few races… incredibly interesting to watch.

Soccer isnt big over here either, but when you ask people in other countries what they think of baseball, they laugh and say they cant imagine something so boring. I guess it’s just what you grew up on.

I spent enough time in Europe as a kid to see some ridiculously cool racing and was hooked. I now watch more racing on my computer in the middle of the night (time delay from Europe/Asia) than on TV. Damn you Speed Channel.

I don’t get SPEED anymore… although I heard that I am not missing much. :facepalm

Football (soccer) in Europe is HUGE. Same with rugby. My cousin plays Rugby for a team over in Ireland (I forget the name)… it was fun drinking beer in the stands and watching them beat the shit out of each other. haha

ALMS is weak this year, Grand AM is good racing but Speed [Fox] will cut away from the race for the lead to replay a minor crash 40 times :facepalm, and F1 you can catch online pretty easy.

So yeah you’re not missing much. They arent even covering their own series, SPEED World Challenge, except for a few highlight reels literally 2-3 months after the race.

:facepalm

What are some good F1 sites to cover the races? I googled around but didn’t come across anything of quality.

Dunno. Lately I’ve been just watching it on Speed because I dont mind the Varsha/Hobbs/Matchett commentating.

I used to just find them Googling around. Mafdark had a good torrent racing site I think…

Good call, I’ll check for torrents when I get home… it’s probably the only place I have yet to look, haha.

I see it on SPEED from time to time, although, I’ve been cutting back on watching TV lately and watch it probably an hour each day/night before I go to bed.

I watch even less tv. Probably 2-3 hours a week.

Chris - http://www.racing-underground.com/ is what I use for most everything else, but they have F1 too (never noticed).

Thanks downersaurus rex.

Thanks Paul, for not being relevant to the thread at all.

relevent to your post though.

haha @ downersaurus rex

And thanks. :number1

I actually really like watching Grand Am Rolex and Koni on SPEED. The S197’s are mopping up in their class from what ive been seeing/hearing!

Yeah, that carb’ed 350 only runs at 7-10K rpm’s for 500 miles at a time, making 850 naturally aspirated horsepower. No technology in there at all!

And who cares how many speeds the tranny has? Would it be any more technically advanced if it had a 5/6 speed in it?