When is switching to all business casual bad?

I like my company’s version of Business Casual… Jeans and a Hoodie.

I’m trying to avoid NYC at all costs. right now my options are 62k in amherst at the new citigroup facility, 70k + bonus (prob around 80) at M&T but in a high-stress position supervising 20 people that will probably hate me and is more accounting than i’d care to deal with, or 120 or so depending on bonuses in charlotte. I’m still looking. either way, i won’t be buying $2000+ suits.

So naive. You’d be surprised how many solutions the “lower level” has, but upper management doesn’t listen.

And I’m sorry but no amount of dressing up is going to make you do your job better. You may “act professional”, but acting professional doesn’t make you competent or knowledgeable.

A suit wont make a shitty employee or company full of employees any better, but IMO it does help to contribute to a more professional atmosphere.

you need to know people :wink:

Right. I never said anything about people being smarter or better workers.

What’s the point of promoting an “atmosphere” if the end product is still crap? :confused: I never understood that.

At any rate redrum, all those nice clothes can be put to good use for going out if you play it right.

I don’t think redrum want puke on $500 suits LOL

Meh, the experience I get here > any job avail in buffalo…

I mean, what 100 person company has 150 Poweredge 2650 servers and about 10TB worth of SAN arrays…?

Let alone a SIIIIIIIIIQ tech budget…

what do they need that kind of equipment for? you work for a hedge fund right? they must run a ridiculous amount of financial modeling

2 things :

Redundancy

and

Disaster recovery

:tup: paying for the right equipment from the start is always better than paying for lost info and royally pissing off the customers

Can’t hold his liquor?

^ I see him usually holding a lot of liquor

I havent read the entire thread but I agree with this thought process…

If you look like a somebody…you had better be a somebody or its a waste.

In my line of work…I would never own a dress shirt that cost more than 35 dollars.

I know for a fact my father doesn’t own a dress shirt over 40 dollars and I know he doesnt have a suit over 250 and he makes well into 6 figures.

He also drives a 1999 Explorer with 205k on it and rust.

Its all about percieved image…he would rather have all the knowledge and confidence in what he is presenting to clients, and then people will not give a shit about his clothes or car because it simply does not matter.

Sometimes…you are only impressing yourself with material things…and thats just not worth it IMO>

i’m curious to know more about these job offers. what position are these for, did you interview, etc.

because no offense, but i find these figures rather high for the buffalo market, especially considering that you have an undergraduate degree. furthermore, with only an undergraduate degree, i highly doubt that a company such as m&t bank is going to let someone with no real experience supervise twenty individuals.

–boxsterschik

the M&T position was dependent on me starting this summer while finishing my MBA at night until december. I declined it because I would have been at school and work from 7am to 9pm every day, and if I want to do that I’ll take an ibanking job and make twice that.
I applied online, called some contacts of mine in the bank, managed to get an interview, and apparently impressed some people there. I don’t want to get into more detail publicly, but i can PM you the details if you want.

feel free

62k in buffalo, managing 20 people at a relatively small bank in a dieing market right out of school… no way… in NYC, NEW YORK CITY, consultants are getting 50-60k with an advanced degree at the big four right out of school, in NEW YORK CITY.

for some reason i don’t think your numbers numbers add up…

ps - HI ANGE!

its not how much experience you have, its who you know. i’ll leave it at that

now back to the business casual