who use phantom grip?

get a OBX. best bang for the buck. get one from a reputable place so if you have axle fitment issues, you can exchange it. lots of turbododge guys are using them in 10 and 11 sec cars that are making ALOT more torque than your 2.1L is going to make. one is currently under an omni that runs 10.7’s and makes 600+ftlbs at the wheels.

Brian

To be honest id say get a nice set of slicks first run those and see what happens i know of alot of honda guys with open diffs that cut 1.6 60fts no lsd just a big slicks.

im gona go over to paul who built my engine at j n l and see what tranny guys he recommends, if you guys got ne let me know ill go have a talk with them

:blah:

i dont think that really helps me out at all

:lol:
That’s because you only ever see me in work clothing.

Phantom grip is a piece of shit, as clearly illustrated by the rest of this thread. The quaife isnt to much work :blah: it’s going to take as much work as any other differential to install.

They call it Phantom Grip because after the first hard launch you’ll be wondering where the damn thing went.

I have only heard negatives about them, and severe ones at that. Go with the OBX or get the Quaife.

seriously, wtf is your deal?

seems like he is asking legit questions and doing his own research. try backing off, you are making yourself look ridiculous. :bloated:

Probably because he posted asking for advice, got advice, didnt like the advice he got and said he was gonna go trust his “guy” when there are several people here quite knowledgeable on the subject, and even a few who are very Dodge/Neon specific who responded.

he is going to ask an engine builder about a tranny… an engine builder that probably has 0 experience with neon transmissions in high hp applications…

where in this thread there are SEVERAL people with experience on the subject offering good advice… that he snubbed his nose at… doesnt seem like too smart of an idea does it… yea im harsh… who cares:grouphug:

im not snubbing my nose at anyone i appreciate whatever info ppl give me, but just cause 10 guys in a row have on opinion doesnt mean i stop looking and researching right at that spot, and im oging to ask my engine builder if he knows any decent tranny builders, get sum glasses

do you know the engine builder? do you know that this particular engine builder does not know about high end 420a tranny applications? also, it didn’t appear to me that he snubbed any advice, he just seems to be gathering more info.

you aren’t harsh, just overreacting.

i know a lot of saturn people that welded their diff pins in and they never had problems. its not going to give u a LSD it was just to keep the pin from blowing

Get a fucking spell checker.

ahh gold old nyspeed love

dunno the strenght of the stock diff spider gears, but I’d say you can kiss them goodbye on slicks.

Stay far far away from the piece of shit phantom grip imo.

OBX seems to be your cost effective answer. I’ve had great luck with these diffs personally.

Quaife is awesome and worth every penny, but the obx is still half the price or less.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/League_of_Cantankerous_Misanthropes/InternetToughGuy.jpg

money is never an issue, but just cause sumthing is twice as much doesnt mean its better all the time, im just getting my facts together but the obx im def keeping in mind

Spider gears are pretty tough, it’s the diff pin that sucks. Spinning wheels = boiling off the fluid = chucked pin. Overfilling the trans fixes this pretty darn well. Considering you can buy a Neon trans for ~$200 easily, I’d rather risk replacing one a year max than going to a Quaife immediately. Of course, I had a Quaife for my NA Neon with like 135hp…lol

But, ya. Quaife or bust. The OBX might be an option, but I’ve heard they need a lot of lovin’ before working properly.

can u install a quaife or do you know sumone who can? im gona get the tranny checked out anyways and have sum bearings replaced prolli shift forks etc checked over before i bolt it up