04/22/2007 ECC-N WNY Event 1 Thread

Ironically, I noticed the car being a bit loose after the second run so before the 3rd, I backed off 2 psi in the rear.

So your rears were 2 psi lower than the fronts?

2 psi lower than the beginning of the day. I started at 42f, 41r. Backed off to 42f, 39r

Yeah, lowering rear tire pressure will make it even more loose.

I hope that people read this, learn from your unfortunate mistake, and understand tire pressures more. Lowering pressure in the rear does not increase grip by increasing the contact patch, it makes the sidewalls softer = oversteer.

Think of it this way:

two flat tires up front = big push
two flat tires out back = big rotation

i thought it was a good time…alot of nice cars and cool people there :tup:

I worked that slalom for one of my shifts, and saw several people get squirrely in there, but it was earlier in the day so people were still pretty cautious. At the end of the day, I’m glad no one got hurt!

This is so true… I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard people tell Novices to lower their tire pressure to get a larger contact patch. Lower pressures mean mushy turn ins and a higher slip angle

No prob Zong, anything to help a friend out.

Zong for the damage I saw on ur car I can say this: Lat links, strut tower, drive axel, maybe swaybar endlink definitely the rim need replacing and trunk was not lining up properly… a little bent perhaps.

Just make sure Northtown takes care of you. Ask Trap what happend to his Sti over the winter and how northtown did a half ass job. Just make sure your happy with the work.

Zong if you need anything let me know.

:headbang:for still wining your class…asshole

Sorry to hear Zong…I hope everything turn out alright.

Rob can tell you a thing or 2 about them as well. Do not take your car back until you are 100% satisfied.

Yea i totally for got about that whole hood incident, yea i can attest too but the workmanship was fine… just the fact that they were careless scratching my paint on the other side.

I respectfully disagree.

There is an optimum point of traction in relation to pressure. Going above OR below that pressure point will reduce the available traction at that end of the car. The traction/pressure curve is more gradual on the soft side, and more abrupt on the hard side. It’s very unlikely that going from 41 to 39PSI caused the spin.

I’m not sure what type of tires were being used in this case, but assuming that they were decent street tires with reasonably firm sidewalls the range of goodness on the back of a WRX should be anywhere between 30 and 45 PSI. On both my WRX and my first EVO, running on good streets (Azenis|Advans), when running at Valeo (bumpy surface) that didn’t like high pressures, I would have to run down into the 25PSI range on the rear to get decent rotation.

Didn’t want to jump in on this, but I’d hate for someone with less experience to be afraid of adjusting their pressures for fear of spinning off into a curb.

George M (AS 91)

Speaking of pictures, I know quite a few were taken early on. Don’t suppose they were posted anywhere?

i’ll get some up in a bit… :stuck_out_tongue: im lazy.

VERY fun event…so nice to be back out racing again finally. Pauls car is set up beautifully. The car easily had FTD times in it with a solid clean run which I could not pull off in 5 runs. Props to Canadian SM guys coming out and bringing some fierce competition, looking very foward to seeing them in future events.

Next event I should hopefully have my quickness back up and running.

Fixed.

And Zong - make sure you talk to Mike Keller at Northtown, I hear he is a Suby tech there now. He’ll make sure you get taken care of. If you don’t know him, just ask for him and tell him you are with us.

so that was u taking the pictures i thought u looked familiar.

and just for the record my face feels like its on fucking fire today!!!

edit

(my photos aren’t online yet)

My arms are toasted and so is my face, i think alot of people forgot to wear sunscreen. I didnt forget to do it, i was too lazy to grab it walking out the door

Who ended up with FTD and PAX wins?

ATTENTION!!!

Please don’t mention names, details or post any more pics of a certain someone’s car being involved in any “incidents” yesterday. Please help a bother out.

Oh, and FTD was Alan Smith with a 43.844, and PAX was Dale Kunze with a pax of 36.404. Results will be up shortly.