08 Dodge Ram 4wd issue

My fathers 08 Dodge Ram is having problems with changing from 2wd/4wd lock/4wd low. He rarely shifts into 4wd which I understand can lead to problems.

I jumped in the truck yesterday and was able to shift into them right away. I then drove the truck about 1 miles. Stopped and tried again. This time it did not work in drive/park/neutral. Drove about 5 miles to a friends. Turned all sounds off to which you could hear the motor working but not to its full. We pulled it in the garage. Sat for a minute. Without starting the car, we were able to cycle through over and over again. We took it got a drive after cycling about 20 times to work the motor in from not being used. It drove with all 3 ways working. We started the drive/start up with the truck in 4wd low.

After we got back and parked, it wouldn’t go back in. Tried with the truck off, running, all gears. It sounded like the motor wasn’t running a full cycle through each step besides 2wd.

The dash display continues to flash 4wd but never turns solid for each. Some times the 4wd lock stays on when you put it on that, the. Switch to 4 low when it doesn’t go. The low will flash with the lock solid.

This is leading me to believe its the motor for the 4wd system, but I’d prefer not to buy one without being right due to costs.

Any one able to help?

Sorry for grammar mistakes, I’m typing this quick on a cellphone.

Bump.

Bump… figured someone on here could help me with an automotive question. lol

Just curious, how fast did you drive in 4WD Low?

Sounds like your actuator is shot if it is not working.

Try switching into 4WD High while the truck is moving. Typically takes 3-5 seconds. Then, slow down and turn the wheel full lock while still moving 5 MPH. If it scrubs you’re good.

When I was able to get it into 4wd low, I didnt go any faster than say 15mph. 4wd low wont engage at all unless in Neutral.

I’ve tried while in motion too. I’ll try it again. My father said it never kicked on after I screwed around with it, I was hoping that it might have worked the motor around a little and broke some crap free that might have cause issues from sitting. He said that the cruise control wouldnt work now either… probably because the system is reading an issue trying to lock into 4wd.