1100 cubic inches

Its a Ford Sherman tank engine. All aluminum DOHC shaft driven cams. From the original thread, “Stock with all the tank accesories they weigh 1400 lbs. I’ve got it down to 960 lbs. now which is liveable, not much more than a blown cast iron Hemi or BBC.”

Ford GAA tank engine. All aluminum 1100 cubic inch V8 used in WWII Sherman Tanks. These were gas burners rated at 500 HP and 1050 Ft. Lbs. of torque for military service, but are capable of much much more using mostly stock parts. They feature a 60 degree vee, 5.4 bore x 6.0 stroke, 180 degree factory billet cranks, pent roof combustion chambers, shaft driven DOHC’s, 4 valves per cylinder, and dual mags. They are pretty high tech. engines, especially considering they were built in the early 40’s.

Its mine. The engines will turn 4800 with stock pistons, 5200 with aftermarket stuff. The stock pistons are 5 ring, but you don’t necessarily have to use all the grooves. I have Total Seal rings in this engine. The stock valve springs are only good to 3200 rpm before they start to float, but those are easily replaced. As it sits in the Mustang it should make between 800 and 900 HP & 1200 ft. lbs. torque. They vibrate some from 1600 to 1900, but they really smooth out around 2200. The factory billet 180 degree cranks will hold over 3000 HP without failing. The intake side of the heads on my engine have been extensively modified, and do not use the common as cast GAA intake runner. I have a twin 6-71 setup in which the blowers are coupled end to end that looks really wild, but the front end on the Mustang is allready heavy enough. I have managed to get the engine down from the factory 1400+ lbs. to 960 lbs. It’s not much more than a blown iron Hemi or BBC. I also have 2, 103 mm turbos for this engine when it goes in my pulling tractor. The turbos will be wastegated at 32 psi for now. Back in the eighties a twin turbo GAA won the Indy Super Pull. It made 3600 HP on alky. with 34 pounds of boost using stock crank, stock rods, and stock cams. It had to run againist 2 and 3 automotive style engine setups as well as single Allisons. I dont plan on setting any world records with the Mustang, but it should be fun, and will definately be something different.

I have found out some info on this engine. My father’s friend was a Sherman Tank mechanic in WWII and was a wealth of information.

(1) Average operation RPM range was 1400-1600rpm
(2) They had a lot of problems with the engine-shaking things loose.
(3) He saw the motor mounts that you have in the mustang and said that due to the MASSIVE vibration this engine puts out, those motor mounts will snap off at an idle.
(4) Your going to have a hard time starting it. The starter motors where 72volt and rated at 16HP.
(5) Each piston has 6 rings on it and has MASSIVE ring drag. Plus, they weight 4 fricken pounds apiece!!!
(6) The cranks forged poorly and had to be replaced after 100hours of operation and sometimes before that. They are very prone to cracking.
(7) The cranks that where cold forged and don’t have cracking problems where used in PT boats. The PT boat cranks are 90 degree cranks and will resolve the vibration problem. The PT boat engine with the 90 degree cranks also made 1850HP and ran at 3200rpms! The aircraft salvage yard in Tucson Arizona used to sell these cranks by the TON and may still have some laying around.

i guess ford can build a motor…:bigok:

so funny for such an old motor to have that much power…

bet that thing will MPH!

:rofl:

thats great

My first thought was I wonder how much more power you can get outta it by boosting it lol. Nice find!

WOW…Thats awsome, seems like there are a lot more cons then pros though. But he still can say I have a fucking tank engine in my mustang.

wow good find

:cool: That car should be called The Sherminator.

:rofl: nice motor!

:bowrofl: :bowrofl:

niiiice dan showed this to me the other day lol iwould throw twin 42’s on that and see what you can get out of it lol

they would never ever ever spool :greddy:

that things enourmus

Efficient? Nope.

Hardcore? Yep.

that’s not overdoing it at all

I wanna see some numbers from that thing…he’s got it in the car, but has he ever ran it?

It didn’t sound like it, but I can’t wait to see that thing at the track or on the dyno.

http://positiveapeindex.blogspot.com/2007/02/fine-line-between-stupid-and-clever.html

another link with few more pics in it.

its only 33 inches wide, 41 inches long and 39.5inches tall from pan to air cleaners they say. only 3inches wider than mustang modular 4.6

some info from the owner

Its mine. The engines will turn 4800 with stock pistons, 5200 with aftermarket stuff. The stock pistons are 5 ring, but you don’t necessarily have to use all the grooves. I have Total Seal rings in this engine. The stock valve springs are only good to 3200 rpm before they start to float, but those are easily replaced. As it sits in the Mustang it should make between 800 and 900 HP & 1200 ft. lbs. torque. They vibrate some from 1600 to 1900, but they really smooth out around 2200. The factory billet 180 degree cranks will hold over 3000 HP without failing. The intake side of the heads on my engine have been extensively modified, and do not use the common as cast GAA intake runner. I have a twin 6-71 setup in which the blowers are coupled end to end that looks really wild, but the front end on the Mustang is allready heavy enough. I have managed to get the engine down from the factory 1400+ lbs. to 960 lbs. It’s not much more than a blown iron Hemi or BBC. I also have 2, 103 mm turbos for this engine when it goes in my pulling tractor. The turbos will be wastegated at 32 psi for now. Back in the eighties a twin turbo GAA won the Indy Super Pull. It made 3600 HP on alky. with 34 pounds of boost using stock crank, stock rods, and stock cams. It had to run againist 2 and 3 automotive style engine setups as well as single Allisons. I dont plan on setting any world records with the Mustang, but it should be fun, and will definately be something different.

Heres a tow rig for you guys!!

guy is swapping one into his 1984 F350 supercab!!

The GAA engine is only 3" longer than a Ford 300" truck 6, but will require notching the firewall for lengthwise clearance. I want to add a Detroit Locker to the Dana 70 axle. The engine requires an automatic trans, as the engine’s torque cannot be controlled with a manual trans and riding the clutch. I’m starting out with a Ford 4R100 and will changeover to an Allison 6-speed after I’ve saved up a whole lot of pennies and dimes.

On to the engine: my #1 engine as built up is stock except for carburetion and ignition. The 2 Stromberg 2-bbls have been replaced by 3 Demon 4-bbls and the very weak WW2 era ignition has been replaced by 2 MSD distributors with 6AL controllers. I will try to attach a couple of pics of the engine to this memo. The stock engine as installed in Sherman tanks had 1,000 lbs of torque or more at every rpm from just above idle to redline. If it were left totally stock, when the light turned green there’d be 1,000 lbs of torque to pull away from the light with. With the changes made, this should increase to around 1,200 lbs of torque or more. The engine is all aluminum, but “light” is relative. “Light” means around 900-950 lbs. The block itself is very light, around 200 lbs, weighing less than a 350 Chevy cast iron block. Of course, with the 5.4" bores, its like swiss cheese. Two average men can pick up a block and carry it around with no problem. However, the crank weighs around 135 lbs, each rod weighs over 6 lbs (no use quoting gram weights here) and even the pistons weigh over 5 lbs each. The cut down flywheel weighs around 100 lbs. Still, there’s no more weight on the front end than there would be with a 460 or diesel with a snow plow attached. In fact its less. The heads are DOHC, 4-valves. The exhaust headers are of fabricated stainless steel and are both light and streamlined. A whole lot of air goes into and out of the GAA.

what that sherman sounds like

holy

what kinda transmition does it use?