1979 XS650 hardtail bobber

YUP. for sale LOL. I have a few things to sort out still but they are very minor things. I’ve decided that while I like this bike and I had a blast throwing it together, I just really really like my cb550 and if I do a bobber again I want something bigger and smoother…basically, this is for sale and so is the XS750 triple…whichever one doesn’t sell I will keep (if the XS750 triple sells first I’ll just keep this, but I would rather hardtail that thing and keep it)

details:

-1979 XS650 standard

-custom drop-seat hardtail peiced together with some universal tubing and axle plates. 4" in added length/wheelbase, 2" of axle drop, 3" seat drop

-swapped to mag wheels 19F/16R and converted to a disc brake rear

-hand-bent NiCopp rear brake hardline with coiled ends connected to -3an banjo adaptors

-handmade forward controls using old wrenches as levers and a dirtbike rear master for rear brake hydraulics

-kickstarter modified for bike pedal and bent to fit tight to frame in “closed” position

-pod filters and carbs jetted to match

-2 into 1 exhaust

-tires in fair shape

Things I need to sort:

-I hate the exhaust note, the baffle is a shit design so I’m going to build a custom baffle (it’s too loud sans baffle, but the SOUND is way better so I’ll do a straight-through baffle design)

-tensioner is just not working out like I envisioned so I’ll be scrapping that and just using the axle-adjusters with the longer chain and no idler wheel

-jetting is still a work in progress but I’ll have that dialed in this week most likely

-electronic flasher has failed so I have to swap that out

(mirrors have come off and running single bar-end mirror on left bar now)

Bike tracks straight and runs well. It’s just not a smooth bike overall, meaning that the firing order/sequence makes for a lot of vibration and I’ve been constantly adding lock-washers and/or loctite to hardware as I find fasteners shaking themselves loose. There’s also the appearance…I liked it ratty so the frame is still raw and I planned to clear it when it reached the desired patina, but if someone wanted it all cleaned up and a nice paintjob on it, I can negociate that for extra.

As the bike sits, I’m asking $1200 for it and am pretty firm there…similar bikes even locally are going for $2500-3k all prettied/painted up (I would NOT ask an additional $1k to paint/pretty it up)

if you care about the build, it can be viewed here:

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?230194-Focusinprogress-XS650-BOBBER-build.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 AM ----------

video of start, ride-off, and fly-by

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App - See this video on Photobucket.

ZzZzZzzz…

??

bump, I took care of a few things on the bike.

I did some plug chops and changed out the jets and now it’s 100%. Starts first kick nearly every time now.

I yanked the baffle out and made a new one from scratch, sounds a million times less gay now

I put brand new plug wires in no more arcing, old ones were corroded and green at the ends.

I removed the noisy chain tensioner/idler I made (with help from newman) and now all the noise is gone, rides nice now

rode it around all day yesterday and took it to work today. all it needs now is a new electronic flasher. Have a guy coming supposedly today or tomorrow with $1200 cash to take it away, if not I’m going to re-post my craigslist add and ask $1500 because the emails/interest was overwhelming at $1200.

Why was the idler making noise? That shit bearing?

that and it appeared to have a balance issue. it’s no big deal without it now, so I guess no harm done…just sucks after all the work put into it that it’s not being used lol.

trades offers welcome…including a ruckus (for serious, I would totally rock a ruckus to commute)

bump. Really want to get into another project I have found. $1200 firm…

buy this bike!

seriously turns heads everywhere I go and I’m constantly asked about it…stoplights, cruise nights, etc. If I’m near the bike someone is talking about it with me.

Would trade for a quality working lathe, or would throw in the XS750 triple towards a quality mill.

would also trade for a 67-72 ford F100 of comparable value (I.E. not running or missing drivetrain)

small addition to the bike:

Luke happened to have this sticker kicking around and just felt it was suited to the bike so he gave it to me/installed it lol.

it reads: “F*ck Clean, We ride DIRTY - N.F.G.”

Also

New possible trade: would be interested in a sportbike, something of the 90’s era, or something newer but needing work…have some cool ideas for a street fighter…

$1500 as-is, or $2500 striped down, smoothed out, and painted pretty.

This has sold.