1984 Nissan 300 zx --- Opinion?

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/car/493582731.html

What do you guys think about this car? My one friend has a civic and this guy wants to trade him this car for his civic and the guy is gonna also throw in some money.

Don’t know much bout 84 300’s…would it be easy to just upgrade turbo, throw some new injectors in it, and chip and tune the ecu and have a pretty fast old school car?

Fill me in with some pros/cons/advice for this car.
Thanks

Its complete junk its an electrical nightmare and rust is a big problem stay away youve been warned

haha are you sure?

thats a nice lookin car! I love the blue, clean as hell! Id go for it!

what older car isnt a nightmare? as long as its well maintained the problems should stay limited.

Have you ever owned one, worked on one, tried to find parts for one??

I didnt think so.

im not sayin its perfect.

what car before 96…doesnt need love all the time. Just sayin if you take care of it, you wouldnt have as many problems as if you were to just beat on it.

It looks pretty clean! I’d def take a look at it, but then again, I’m kinda partial to Z’s :slight_smile:

Before 96?? You clearly have no idea wtf your talking about. There are tons of good reliable cars before then. Now if you would have said before 90 I might have agreed with you.

In the early 1980’s nissan/datsun where complete shit between cheap japanese steel and electrical problems. It was the Kia of the 80’s

The other problem is that if you notice in the add it says $800 dollars in under body work wonder why?? Nissans hide there rust frames, rockers, towers, and inner fenders.

Please just because it looks “pretty” doesnt mean its a good car.

check it thoroughly for rust, if it’s clean spray the fuck out of it with undercoating to protect. buy it and put a 2jz or a ls1 in it. that’s supposed to be a really easy swap. love the z car

Because undercoating fixs everything. :stick:

It seals all the drains and lets the water sit causing rust IMO undercoating is the worst idea ever.

Someone’s got their cereal pissed in this morning… Jesus…

ok well thanks for all the advice…i’m just show my friend this forum and let him do some research and decide

thanks

First and foremost, in N/A trim this car only makes 160hp/174lb-ft. The turbo version made 200hp/227lb-ft. They redesigned the cooling in VG30E blocks in the late 80’s, so the 84 might very well be a less desireable example of this car if you’re planning on going turbo. If he’s serious about it, find someone who knows and ask them a budget for a real turbo conversion, then add another 50% of the estimate. My guess is you’ll drop $2k into a quality, tuned turbo setup unless you can DIY.

Any used car can be a nightmare. Living in this region of the country we all know rust can be a major issue especially in a 22 year old vehicle. You need to see the car in person. It looks clean in those pictures but that doesn’t mean anything, pictures can turn a 20 foot car into a show car or turn a show car into a real lump depending on all sorts of things. That might be a Tech school paint job with runs, sags, and mismatched door jambs, we don’t know and neither do you until you look. Electrical gremlins and underbody rust are the same story, this is 20+ years old so who the hell knows.

If your friend is thinking about this as a DD to replace his Civic he might be making a mistake, it won’t be like his Civic and he should probably be prepared for the higher frequency maintenance the car will likely require. The fact that it had underbody repair means you should really put the car on a lift and have someone who is knowledgeable/qualified look at it.

Bottom line is you need to inspect everything on the car twice, then have someone else look at it again. Pittspeed is not a substitute for a thorough inspection by a professional.

that car is sold so it doesn’t matter anymore Craze z

dang.

i like all z’s. reguardless of the nightmares or not.