1993 civic dx b16 swap

I have a '93 civic hatch, how would I know if it has the vtec wires? and how does hmotorsonline.com stack up against japanstar? I’m wary about buying powertrain parts privately as mileage is unknown and so is reliability, so I’d be willing to spend a little more to secure those aspects…pretty sure japanstar told me they had a full b18 swap for $1300, I think hmotorsonline had b18’s for like 799…are there different types of b18’s?

There’s a few different B18’s around. If there only a letter at the end of the engine code(such as B18b) it’s a JDM motor. If you have a motor with a number at the end (B18b1) it’s a USDM engine.

Hmotors is knowen for there quality motors and service. You hear some good and bad things about japan Star. I have bought a couple motors and swaps from them before. If you decide to go with JS, make sure they have the full swap right there before you buy it. They didn’t have everything for the B16 swap i bought, so I had to wait a couple weeks for them to get the rest for me.

Some of the common B18’s

B18b= OBD-1
B18a= OBD-0
B18C1= GSR OBD-1
B18C5= type-r :slight_smile:

Hmotorsonline is very legit… Jap star has a shady rep with a few people i know that bought from em…
Just go with Erics b18b its obd1 which is what your car is…
If you need a manual harness i have it…

Who’s Eric? and ok that sounds good I’ll do that then, and I will need a manual harness as I am going to convert to manual…where’s the best place to get a b series manual tranny?

That would be me. You can use your stock auto harness, you will just have soe extra plugs.

Hmo has the best customer service. I bought a longblock from torontojdm… it runs strong, came very clean… but def. didn’t come how an hmo motor comes. I was going to go through hmo but they didnt have obd2 h22’s… torontojdm did.

ok sounds like ill go through hmo then. does anyone know where i can get a b series manual tranny complete with everything to go with the b18?

Might as well just get the whole swap from HMO. You will spend weeks trying to find a trans at a reasonable price. I am still looking for myself :slight_smile:

oh hmo has everything? I thought they just had motors. good to know. now, do they ship litterally everything I will need? or are there some parts I’ll still need to purchase?

Your best bet would to give them a call.