Motor swap vs turbo? What do you think Honda guys?

Car: 93 civic coupe ( a little bubbling in the back no driven winters)

Old motor: D15b7 block (about 120K) Chipped p06 to p28
D16z6 head (about 4K) upgraded valve springs, cam, port/polish
3 angle valve job and just about every bolt on can do. Throttle body, intake mani, headers, fuel rail.

Question: Do I get another D16z6 or D15 JDM for about $400
and ready it for turbo OR swap a b16 or b18?

If I swap for a b16 or b18 what else am I going to need other
            than engine and tranny? (ie shift linkage, half shafts)

If I really want a b18 is it easier to just sell the car and get a 
            Teg?

I would like some answers from people who have done this kinda stuff before. I know im more then capable of doing an engine swap, its just I dont want to get half way threw it spend a butt load of money i dont want to and not be happy. So i would like to hear from some of the honda guys who have been there done that and what I should look out for. Any insight would be great thanx guys.:blah:

I’m not a honda guy, but seems like you dont have much experience with swapping motors and other installations, so I would sell the car and buy something already swapped. Then in the future turblower.

Swap it yourself, not gonna learn shit if you dont try. i pulled my first motor with a winch and a backyard swing set for a lift. Its hella easy, just do some research and you will find everything you need on the internet. I would personally swap a clean B16/18 in there and then boost it in a year or so after you know what you are doing.So much info at your finger tips, now apply it.

it all really depends on what your ultimate goals are for the car.Id personally swap in a b series. K series> b series> d series.Theres just way more potential obviously with the bigger litres and 2 cams instead of just one.If your looking the cheaper route swap in a ls integra motor for now.Then later down the road you can put a vtec on and build and boost away.

Agreed.

think long term and what your goals are…looking for 220+ whp and a semi-unreliable car? go with a turbo d-series. If this is your DD, I’d suggest to swap a b-series (preferably something cheap like a b16. It’ll be quite a bit more pep, reliable, and you’ll actually have some resale when you decide to get rid of the car or change setups (ie, turbo LS motor which the longblock itself can be had dirt cheap) I’m by no means against d-series builds at all…but if you aren’t avid at hondas and troubleshooting you may catch yourself on some snags if this is your DD. Anthing FI, you really have to keep an eye on EVERYTHING so you don’t end up breaking shit. The plus to a d-series build is they are super fucking cheap to get parts and super easy to find if and when you do break shit.

LS swap.
and by that, i mean LS1 or LS2. maybe LS7 if you’re feeling baller.

sorry, nothing really productive to add here, not a honda guy.

HA ha ha im more then capable of the swap, I do all my own work and have been working in small shops and mobile elec installs for 7+ years. I dont think I have the experiance to jam a vette motor in a civic but im no retard with the wrench. I did my first engine swap at 18 with a wench in a barn good ol 3.1L z24.

Im just looking for a summer car that will driven to work (better gas mileage then the truck) and for fun. I would like to hit 200+ whp but have no need for more then 300 whp. I was very interested in doing the ls block swaping a vtec head on it, basicly the bigger version of what I have. Down fall I dont want to get into too high of compresstion like I am now to boost. I have also heard because of the b18’s short stroke that the b18 rods can be a nightmare at high rpms’s?

haha good thing you don’t own the came cars as me or you would have broken that swing set with the quickness

i would just get another d16z6 and keep it strong

ive always thought about swapping and turbo-ing my d16 but its pointless to me (making a slow car less slow) and i thought to myself “GROW UP” and so i just kept the motor strong and didnt F with it and saved $

turbo > na. If your looking for mid 200s and know cars well, then boost the d-series.

ls7 = collosal waste of money. ls3 + cam = 500+ hp

I’d just keep the d series and boost it. Should be able to make good power. BTW, theres a guy here with a neon, selling a 35r turbo. You should pick it up. :slight_smile:

Good luck

PM Roots, i know he’s got a turbo hatch he’s trying to part out with a d series non vtec motor in it, but he’s willing to sell it with a vtec head…good guy too.

swap it with a ls and call it a day…its real easy to swap …this would be the best thing its reliable and will run for a while and be fun …you could also boost it and put like 8lbs to it and still be reliable for a dd and make over 200whp

if you looking for a ls motor or 2 i have some and i’m loooking to sell …i will sell it with everything you would need for the swap…let me know

my tercel i pulled the motor out with a come a long (i think the name of it is) and the riser of my garage roof

summer car, you can wrench. Piece together a cheap turbo and boost the D-series.

without the hand-built dry sump goodness. gotta get the style points in a 93 civic.

i would go D16Z6 Turblow

i don’t think it warrants the extra 6 grand you’d pay…:smiley: when ya cammin that pig in your driveway?