1998 eclipse gsx automatic upgrade path

My best friend is gonna be picking up a 1997 eclipse gsx automatic and wants to set it up between a daily driver and weekend bracket racer with about 500 horsepower. I have been looking at some of the engines offered from slowboy racing and Im confused as to why there are so many stroker engine available. Common sense tells me that the 2.4 stroked would be the best option, but then with the 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 that makes me think twice. I know with the automatic, it will respond better with more displacement and since an auto doesnt spend that much time in high revving situations the bigger displacement wouldnt be a bad idea. So anyway, what would be the most efficient way to get the 4g63 to the 500 awhp level?

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2gupgradepath.htm

Will the autobox hold that kind of power? I dont think shep makes an auto box.

i think ipt makes a bullet proof tranny. nice link btw

shep and buschur dont mess with autos (being an auto i know) ipt is the place to go with being a slushbox.

any enlightening info on the stroker kits and why there are so many choices?

People throw around numbers so carelessly. 500awhp daily? I hope your friend has deep pockets.

As for the number of strokers, well, they are just a way of getting money from customers. You’d be fine with a 2.0 or a 4G64 2.4/2.3 setup. The 2.1 stuff is pointless for 99% of cars.

Check out some other DSM sites. I personally would never let anyone from Slowboy touch my car.

http://www.polkperformance.com/

If I would ever have a DSM block built, http://www.engintecs.com/html/dsm_blocks.html would be the people who get it. Mitch is a ridiculously knowledgable guy, and really helpful.

I would think that a reasonable upgrade path to a 500hp car would not include step one: buying an eclipse… Turning a 10 year old 180 hp car into a 500hp car isn’t going to be easy/cheap/fun. Especially with the ‘daily driver’ aspect.

well, what would it take for an auto gsx to run 12’s?

a lot the fastest I ever saw at PRP was 13’s.

lots of money

is that an auto that ran 13’s? I thought these cars loved to go fast and 12’s would be easily doable, even my cobalt is capable of mid 13’s with front wheel drive, i though for sure an all wheel drive stock turboed car would crush me…

i remember seeing a 1g awd auto run 13.1’s all day with basic mods and a 75 shot of nitrious, 14b turbo, 3" turbo back.

it would be a lot easier to do it to the 10 yr old car then a new wrx…

500 whp is very attainable. but he’ll find out that driving it everyday with todays gas prices will suck. espically with the fuel system he’ll need to support that kind of power

This is a very irrelevant post. I wouldn’t want to daily drive ANY car that requires significant upgrades to be 500hp

LOL… dude talk about irrelevance

wtf are you talking about

Nearly everycar needs significant mods to see 500hp. Point A: if you do everything right, you can aim for whatever power you want to put out and be mostly reliable. Point B: Doing everything right to support 500 hp on a daily costs lots of money.

OP says he wants 500hp DD.

I say that’s not going to be easy or cheap

brokeasskorean starts talking “something something wrx”

I say that whatever he is going on about is irrelevant because we aren’t talking about any wrx and I don’t know why he brought it up. Perhaps his point was that this eclipse is a better car then mine, but, if that’s what he’s getting at, I don’t understand because I never claimed to want to make my car an 500hp car.

shuuuuuuuuuuut the fuck up.