DSM or not?

For a while I have been wanting an EVO and the Money is just not there…So I have Been kicking around building a 1st or 2nd gen

I have a few questions… what need to be done to handle around 600+ awhp

Will the Stock block with Good pistons and rods handle that?
I would use a GT35R or a 3567R…Like Tranny, Axles, Diffs will this stuff handle the power. and about how much does it take to make it bulletproof…

I am just kicken around maybe putting something together over the winter

I would not even mess with it. Why not try your luck in the Nissan or Lexus world?

Nissan maybe…

lexus is to baller for my working at bestbuy

I’m looking now for a 2g EVO build thread I saw a while back. IIRC he was trying for 500whp. I’m not sure if he was overkilling it, but he had a shitload of cash into the car, and it was originally built by HKS for rally. I’ll send it to you once I find it.

EDIT: And no I’m not thinking of the HKS salvaged EVO3 a few years back in SCC.

start here : http://www.dsmtuners.com/sub.php?page=1gtupgrades

theres a lot of drivetrain stuff you need for 600whp

i think bad idea

Im gonna have to agree, your far enough ahead with your honda, you want a challenge build a hot rod car

here is the thing, I can build a Street tire awd car to pull 1.4 60’

I watched kurt brown go 10.00 on BFG’s without breaking a sweat…

AMS’s evo went 8.5 thats just sick…

Its just a thought…

I made ~530HP on pump gas and a stock head/block, just ARP’s, an MLS gasket and cams.

Rebuilt, but stock rebuild (with the exception of a welded center diff,) head, tranny. All original block, 150 compression pre-cam’d. ACT 2600, stock flywheel, stock axles, 4-bolt rear end.

If you want 600awhp, pistons/rods will do it no problem. A Shep/TRE is pretty much a have-to if you don’t want to rip anything apart. The 4-bolt rear ends are fine, the stock axles should all be fine, and have Shep/TRE weld the center diff in the tranny, or get a 4-spider.

Going to need cams, and a SMIM will help the high powerband. The cams really, really choke flow though, so those need to go for sure, but people have made 600+ on stock intakes, just no one really recommends it.

Just my .02.

I’d stick to Honda. You have copious amount of experience with it and you know what’s worked and not worked in the past.

Joe honda is like Joe dirt.Joe dsm just dont fit

Its not like i am bailing out on my honda…I will keep it for sure…I am just exploring the DSM world a little bit…My first car was a 1st gen talon TSI. I just dident have the Cash to keep up with it @ the age of 15 making 5 and hour…

you can pick up a late 80s alltrac (st165) for under a grand and make it go fast.

From what i can see the car cost 2000-3000
Shep tranny 3000
DSM link 1000?
pistons + rods 1500
cams + intake 800
GT35R 1300
Mani 500

what else?

DSMLink might be a bit less, if the car already has an EPROM in it. Then you just need it socketed and the program (~700) plus the laptop unless you have one, which I’m assuming you do.

All of the other stuff (injectors, pump, regulator, etc,) you’re probably already aware of.

yea i should already have all of that other stuff…

are 1st gens or 2nd gens better?

92+ have the 4-bolt rear.

90-mid 92 have the 6-bolt motor.

The “ideal” platform is the early 92, since it came with the 4-bolt, and the 6-bolt motor. I waited to find my '92 just for that reason, although I think 2G’s are “prettier” cars with a more comfortable interior (I’ve owned both.)

1G’s are generally lighter, but either can be gutted pretty good. My 1G weighed 2680 - no AC, PS, ABS, rear interior/belts, spare. Front seats replaced with 19lb buckets, auto-belts and tracks replaced with Sparco 4-pts. Heavy turbo setup, 3.5" exhaust, etc.

By the way, if you do end up with a 1G, let me know if you want to lexan the hatch glass. We did it on a friend’s car, came out great :smiley:

i pulled 1.8 on street tires in a stock drivetrain 240 on street tires my first few times even out. I was then able to take it to a 1.6 on M/T. this is at ~300hp I am sure they were making much more then that. I just don’t think its worth all the money you need to spend to make a DSM last and be consistent.

the lexus sc300 is what i had in mind on the lexus front. I have done some budgets with going in that direction. A little more expensive then a 240 but the 2JZ would kick ass in the long run.

Aren’t those SC’s heavy as balls though? It seems as though Joe wants a track car. But, I could be wrong, I’m not trying to put words in his mouth.

I’ll agree, that for a daily drive “fast” car, I wouldn’t personally go with another DSM unless you’re ready to spend some bucks. That’s the whole reason I parted it and built the Miata - it’s turn-key reliable, and still pretty quick.

If I ever do another DSM, daily driver or not, it’s getting top-notch everything. I had so many problems with stupid shit not related to the car itself (such as blowing apart my intercooler several times, my SMIM once, misc. oil leaks from the turbo drain, etc.) that I’d drop serious money into it just to not have to worry about what I was going to blow up that day.

But, in all fairness, the car was my daily for quite some time to and from school in West Mifflin, and always did great and got pretty good gas mileage (18-20 MPG.) I used to make pulls on 837 almost every other day coming home from school.

This car would be streetable no doubt drive it to the track with ac/ps

Years ago i had so much fun with my ls-t driving to the track and back no problems…

I would prob lean towards the 2nd gen… will the 6 bolt motor bolt up in that car? are the strokes the same?

If i do build one, I will get the Best shit first and not buy shit twice…

hell if i find one soon it will be a good winter car :blue: