DSM differences?

Ok so im wondering the difference between some DSM motors.

4G63
4G64
420a

Size differences? Common problems? Cars found in? Etc…

4G63: 2.0L- May or may not come turbocharged. Found in 1990-1999 Eclipse/ Talons/Lasers and 2003-2007 Evolutions. Also found in 1990-1992 Galant VR4.

4G64: 2.4L- Most commonly found in 1995-1999 Eclipse Spyder Non-turbos. Also found in other non-DSM platforms such as mid to late 90’s Galants, as well as in the Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup.

420a: 2.0L- Found in 1995-1999 Eclipse/Talon Non-turbo FWD cars.

As far as problems, nothing really out of the ordinary except for crankwalk in the 95-99 model year 4G63 seven bolt. (The six bolt 4G63 in earlier model years didn’t have this problem.)

The 420A isn’t a Mitsubishi engine either, it’s a modified D4RE Chrysler engine. It’s probably the most reliable too lol

The worlds largest blog says: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G63

I’d probly have to say the 4g37 is the most reliable dsm engine!

??? 4g37???

The only engine considered to be a DSM engine by DSMer’s is the 4G63. If you turbo a Mopar 420A they may accept you but if you show up in a 3000GT, they won’t. The lines are so vague as to what can really be classified as a DSM that DSMer’s drew them in. The fact is Diamond Star Motors was disolved before the last turbo eclipse rolled of the line and didn’t even exist when the holy grail of all DSM’s, the Galant VR4, was in production.

If it doesn’t have a 4G63 or if it’s a non-turbo, don’t call it a DSM.

1.8L sohc engines that came in the 90-94 eclipse, laser, talons. Have absolutely no power, but they run like a top, also not a zero tolerance engine

not true my gf has one and it took a shit at 87,xxx no beating on it either.

so basically put a 4g63 from a 1st gen into a 2nd gen?

I had absolutely no problems with mine, sold it to a girl that doesnt do an ounce of maintenance and its close to 200,000 miles last time i checked

her mom kept saying “thats how small cars run” i was like no it runs like shit.

and she paid $2200

wow that was a mistake.

the vin tag in the engine bay of my 3kgt says dsm

EVO’s are considered DSM’s.

I know, it was built alongside the Eclipse/Laser/Talon along with the Stealth during the DSM venture between Mitsu and Mopar but no one calls them DSM’s because it doesn’t have the 4G63. But the Evo is considered a DSM even though Diamond Star Motors has been defunct for 10 years. It’s all about the engine, not the actual DSM venture.

no they arent

Everybody calls evo’s DSM’s…

What’s at the top of WNYDSM? An evo!:mamoru:

Yes, they are.

^^That’s how I feel about a lot of topics on here.