Galant VR4, DSM or Import?

I get it thanks…

What about the limited edition Galant VR4? This car shares the Talon/Eclipse AWD drivetrain as well as the 4G63.

Most DSM clubs include it as part of the lineup… Is that because it shares so much hardware or was it also built in Illinois?

I thought the '91 and '92 Galant VR4s were built in Japan and shipped over here in limited quantities… Or were they built here, hence the association with DSM?

pretty sure the gvr4 is a dsm

Understand.

But if they were built in Japan, why are Galants considered DSM when the 3000GT/Stealth are not?

DSM = Eclipse/Talon/Laser

Galants are made in US and Japan but are not a DSM.

That plant also produced cars like the Mirage/Summit, Galant, Avenger/Sebring, and Dodge Stratus but they were not DSMs either. Similiar to how Galants were made at the plant in Japan. They are not considered a 3/S.

Oh

I have said a Galant VR-4 is a DSM too out of habit.

Yeah, I know DSM NYC treats them as DSMs, they have them on the DSM board and count the GVR4 times on their top drag times, etc.

I sold my GVR4 through the NYC DSMtrader too back in the day…

DSM- Diamond Star Motors. 89-99 6 and 7 bolt 4g63t motors. There were only a handful of dsmers around this area back in the day, i have no idea what the dsm bandwagon picked up :wink:

On topic- I know what its like…hey we need (X) much done, In (X) amount of time (usually yesterday), we want godly quality and efficiency, but we only want to pay shit.

That is not true. That would make the Galant VR-4 (4G63T) a DSM and it is not.

the galant has DSM tags under the hood

I forgot about that. Perhaps I am wrong? From all of the things I have read, DSM is those cars listed… Is this the only possible exception to the rule?

I knew it was a DSM

Most domestic owners that I have encountered are a partial and biased bunch. Whether society created that arrogance (joining the bandwagon) or maybe it’s because most of the import “enthusiasts” out there are kids that give the rest a bad name, who knows. Whereas most serious import owners I know (remember, I’m not even counting the opinions of F & F loving fuckwads) are open-minded and give credit where credit is due. A good example of idiots would be the MySpace import forum. If you can tolerate all the dumbass misinformation and shit talking on there, then you are a stronger person than me.

As for the 3/s, it’s my understanding that all the parts were shipped over from Japan and then assembled in the DSM plant. Dodge definitely didn’t have anything to do with it, but bore their name on the car because of the Chrys/Mitsu partnership.

I am confused to hell. 3/S is definately not a DSM. Night/Day differences and developed across the other side of the world.

What defines a DSM? It’s a join venture with two companies and just because the car is built at the same place doesn’t mean it’s a DSM.

So exactly what defines a DSM? We know 100% it’s Eclipse/Laser/Talon. But waht about the others? It can’t be 4G63/T as some have said because many share that block.

A joint effort by Mitsubishi (three diamonds) and the Chrysler Corporation (penta-star) to build some of the most incredible automobiles in the world. The vehicles were produced with the names Eagle Talon, Mitsubishi Eclipse, and Plymouth Laser. DSM cars are assembled in Normal, Illinois. The '94-and-up Mitsubishi Galant is also assembled at the DSM plant in IL; previous Galant’s were assembled in Japan. The Eclipse and Galant (since '89) share the same platform.

Careful champ, I think I am technically right.

In 1995, DSM was done and Mitsubishi Motors Manufacturing America (MMMA) took over. They just kept the name for keepsake. I guess this means 2G DSM aren’t really DSMS? But, the DSM guys will say a 2G is a DSM because it shares the similiar platform unlike the Sebring/Avenger. I’ll give them that given the cars were made at the same plant on a similiar platform.

But in 1995, DSM was no longer in existance and Galant VR-4 was produced after that…

Also, from what I have read, they were not built in the US…

So, regardless of tag, I’ll say they are not but I guess it’s debatable.

I personally consider a DSM as a car that actually HAS the DSM plate on it. Even E/T made after 95 are technically NOT DSMs, but are accepted as such since they continued the platform (and to not leave them out of the DSM Community). This is why the Galant VR4 and 3/S is put into the same family as DSMs. That being said, the only reason one could consider a 3/S as a DSM is because the 3000gt and eclipse has the same predescesor (sp?)-The Starion. Both cars were designed from that platform.

I’ll agree with that but the fact that the Galant VR-4 was built in Japan is what has me thinking twice about it.

True, technically they are not but for reasons you stated, they are considered that by fanbase.

The 3/S and the DSM share absolutely nothing in common. They are not a DSM nor in the family. They are the flagship of Mitsubishi at the time. That’s it.

That is incorrect. They came over prebuilt. Dodge did have nothing to do with it.