Galant VR4, DSM or Import?

i wish pete ( witchcraft) was still around, remember him? He was a legend. He is literally a rocket scientist but i still taught him a couple things about the dizum platform. Endless hours of dsmtalk reading and being threatened by the dsmtalk nazis. The dsmtalk mods almost banned us and sent us all over to dsmToOnerz. It was pete, sean (psi2high), Jon (worked at tweeters) doug, mike,nick and myself

Negative. The Galant VR4 available in the states was from 88-92. 2 generations came after that only available in Asia, which were twin turbo models.

K. Thanks for clearing that up :).

Available and built in the states are two totally different things.

The entire concept of DSM was it was a joint venture built at that ONE plant. Now, after DSM ceased to exist in 95, this car from Japan comes over and it’s a DSM? That’s the debate.

I could have said it was forged by God but that’s too Supra fanboi. :wink:

Does a Galant VR4 have the badge though? I’m truly not sure because I’ve never see one in person.

the only logical thing to do is to consider a 3/s a dsm and call it a day…

j/k auggie! funy how i remember these same convos…6 years ago? lol

I have a confession.

I’m in love with the Skyline.

Skylines make baby Jesus cry.

Enjoy the evenin. I got a date with my girlfriend. :slight_smile:

Good times. :slight_smile:

What badge? I heard it has a DSM badge. It says VR-4 on the back but compare a Galant VR-4 to a 3000GT VR-4/Stealth RT TT is apples/oranges. :slight_smile:

its ok but its a tank

i dont even care, i like DSMs( real ones) ie 90-94 when it was still the diamond star. id love to get my hands on a 92 GSX/TSI/Laser RS with a 6bolt block and a 4 bolt lsd. even a GVR-4 would be acceptable… but yes most cars these days are outsourced from their parent country… hondas made in usa, canada, VW of mexico and brasil,
gm in similar places, just about the only “american car” still made in america is the Corvette. i dont care where its made, although i would prefer to own a pre '92 VW again, preferably made in west Germany, but id settle for a mexican built one.

Unless some one can come on here and say with 100% surity on it, I believe they are not true DSMs. They are just accepted because they have the same platform, just like the Evo is not really a DSM, but put in the same category due to the similar platform. 94+ Galants were built in the same factory, but those were just your base models.

My 95 was one of the last ones built and has the DSM badge, but as I came to find out when ordering parts…3/4s of them I had to order for a 94! Talk about a pain in the fxcking ass.

if your going on the whole basis of being an import as to what country the car was assembled in, then I believe every BMW Z roadster and SUV are domestics.

If you want to be politically correct, then yes. That’s why I made the statement that import/domestic categorizing really doesn’t exist anymore.

why is this dsm BS going on in mutliple threads? :rofl

DSM BS split/merged/moved here.

VR4s were only sold in the USA for two years, 1991 and 1992. In 1991 the allotment was 2000 cars (with fancy #xxxx/2000 plaque on dash) and in 1992 it was 1000 cars.

After a couple searches, I confirmed from a legitimate source (galantvr4.org) that the cars were in fact imported from Japan. They were not built here.

http://www.galantvr4.org/rhertz/

DSM.org also says the cars were built in Japan.

http://www.dsm.org/cars/galant.htm

Yup, the latter models had a twin turbo V6 engine.

all these cars still share one thing… the reliability of wet cardboard. :banana