Galant VR4, DSM or Import?

That’s why I said available in the states, by that I didn’t mean to insinuate that they were built here.

No car is reliable once you start to beat on or mod them lol.

in the DSM circles, the GVR4 is welcome from what ive seen. but the true DSM was 89-94 Eclipse,Talon,Laser. because after 94, the plymouth laser was no more, so one side would be missing from the Diamond Star… but 2G eclipse and talons were also accepted in the DSM world.

its all in how you take care of the car. ive seen several bone stock west coast cars with over 100k on them with full maintenance records, un molested that ran like champs… DSMs break because current, or previous owners dont know what they are doing with the car, or they were just flat out abused. also the oldest DSM’s are almost 20 years old… I WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOUR STI, OR ANY STI AT 20 YEARS OLD. especially being beaten to death its whole life.

THANK YOU.

I’m not disagreeing with you… Just from the wording I thought it said '88 to '92 VR4s were sold here, so I just wanted to clarify it was only sold in the US for two years, that’s all.

when i worked at mangino mitsu as a tech all parts and assosiation with the gvr4 was dsm as they were imported from japan with the star on them after late 94 they were built here

Personally, I think it is obvious what a domestic is vs an import. Toyota/Honda vs Ford/Chevy. But I find it interesting that more and more of these cars have Japan parts in them yet people strive to be loyal to domestics?

Great post. DSM and the 3/S are fantastic examples of Mitsubishi technology. Shit, the 3/S went 9.X and 15X on a STOCK block. DSMs? Isn’t the 4G63 in the 7s? 8s? The problem is exactly what you said: younger owners and 2 decade old cars. Shit is going to break overtime.

Well, that’s subjective, too. John Shepherd’s 1G is about the closest one that can still be considered a DSM since he’s using the body. His ran high 7s. Brent Rau’s talon is hardly a talon anymore. Tube chassis, RWD, powerglide, hell the only part of DSM left on that is the engine. That car broke into the high 6s last summer.

Just about anything in the 7s or so isn’t a “Ford” or “Nissan” anymore but I think you got my point: Impressive technology by Mitsubishi.

Im not sure why people are chiming in when they clearly know nothing of the cars. Dj knows this as well, the original dsm’s were 89-94 but once plymouth dropped the laser there was technically no longer a dsm line. Although still considered “dsm’s” The 95-99 eclipse/talons arent true dsm’s…and as far as them not being reliable…your an idiot for saying that since my friends had the same motor in their blue talon for over 2 years running consistant 10 second passes and 9 second passes…lets see your sti hold up to that

yep my poor 1990 gsx was great, never let me down and it had 190k on it before i moved and had to grow up a lil. Ran a 11.5 with a small 16g, 550s, afpr, walbro lp255, 2.5 mandrel turbo back exaust,Petes custom NPR core FMIC with short piping, 2g ported mani, Joe P Embc(yea try to find one of them, they are probably more rare than any auto part i know, only a couple hundred were made from our very own local Joe P., the original MBC guy. ACT 2100, S-afc and dsm pocketlogger. There might have been some more lil things, but i always did my research and i knew how to tune a dsm with a m100 palm pilot and s-afc :slight_smile:

well, since someone brought Mr. Shepherd up… that car is borderline " street car" anymore. since its existance it was registered in the state of ohio. the car may or maynot make it out this season, i had the pleasure of talking to John Shepherd at “War of The Imports” december 9,2007 @ orlando speedworld. and he said the car might be done this year. he did not race the entire 2007 season because he did not feel the car was safe enough, 7.7x @ 195mph is quite fast, even with a 7.50 cage he didnt feel like he would survive a crash, now it is built with a 6.50 cage and a bunch more changes, the old bronze volks are gone as 15x8’s just arent wide enough, now using 15x10… car is going to represent much more of a race car than it ever did.

Yeah, I’ve been keeping track of him on Tuners hehe. As of right now, he’s still optimistic about this season. He and his team are still trying to work out the safety issues. He made a lengthy post about his kids and fearing death in the car.

toOnerz…hehehe

thats a big reason i strayed from the dsm scene…dsmtalk is full of nazi moderators and tuners is just whack now

The only problem I have with Tuners is that their diagnosis for everything is always boost leak boost leak boost leak. Then you argue with them, come back to post that they were in fact wrong, and you get banned for it. Ugh. Can’t beat the classifieds though.