1998 eclipse gsx automatic upgrade path

ohh wait, I get it, this is one of those “if your opinion isn’t my opinion, I don’t want to hear it” scenarios.

Must be, it’s not like I talked down on anyone at any point, but I get flamed for my opinion. One person asks what I’m talking about, then the next person complains about me telling them.

the stock auto tranny will not like much more than the factory torque output. i have personally never seen any one try to hook up an auto dsm, besides the first major mod which is convert it to a 5 speed. those trannies suck stock too though haha. awd is hard on trannies regardless. 500 hp daily driven dsm is a crazy, 300-350 whp dsm is fun as hell and puts in the 12’s.

:zzz: :nuts:

you have to remember these cars run low 15s stock and your a supercharged ss runs low 14’s stock. also since they are awd they get lower trap speeds and higher et’s do to their 60’s from no spinning tham a front wheel drive car of the same performance level

OG > n00b

plus what kind of experience do you have with dsm 4’s? The rex boxer is a totally different motor. I guess he should run out and buy an sti if he wants 500hp, although getting that much out of an auto dsm is quite :greddy as well.

OG > n00b

plus what kind of experience do you have with dsm 4’s? The rex boxer is a totally different motor. I guess he should run out and buy an sti if he wants 500hp, although getting that much out of an auto dsm is quite :greddy as well.

My car isnt supercharged… I have the 2.4 vvt ecotec with a garrett turbo and automatic

I am not quite sure how this became about me or my car. I never mentioned my car or said anything about me running 500hp. I know that these DSM’s are mod friendly, but also seem to be a bit fragile for a 500hp DD. The funny thing is that everyone seems to agree this is a pretty lofty and expensive goal, but I keep getting attacked.

i like STi’s

I agree.

My car was probably in the area of ~530 at the crank, on 93 octane gas and a stock bottom end car with cams and probably every bolt on. Other people have dyno’d 500+whp on pump gas, but as you said, it becomes expensive. I feel as though on my setup, I maximized my use of airflow pretty well. If I wanted any more on pump gas, I would’ve had to change some internals around. This was all put through a 5-speed though, and you’re going to see more drivetrain losses through that auto.

Is it doable? Absolutely. But as I said earlier, I hope he has deep pockets.

I think a more reasonable option would be :

-build the auto tranny
-buy the flavor of the week 50 trim
-get a 6-bolt block if you ever develop any problems with the current motor
-make around 350 on pump gas hopefully, and enjoy a low 12 second car.

Just my .02 though.

Jesse

What is a reasonable path? Buy a new Z06 or Viper?

well, he bought the car last night. 1997 Red gsx automatic with only 50,000 miles on it so for like $7000. Lokks real clean for its age. If it only takes 350hp to get into the 12’s then im sure that would be fine. I thought it would take more power to get to low 12’s.

Ha, cheaper and easier than making your couple year old car do it. But I agree on the DD.

i love how 500hp gets thrown around lol just 500 thats it?..
do any of you know how 500hp,400 or even 300 responds on the street?

like its no big thang

yeah it doesnt respond. the tires spin and you go absolutely nowhere

Is this serious or what, I never EVER said anything about my car doing 500 hp. All I said is that a 10yo daily driver on 500 hp is NOT goign to be easy/reliable/cheap.

or even 300 responds on the street?

Yes, every day.

It’s irrelvant at this point, he obviously didn’t mean 500hp.

Good luck with the car.

but all in all. 500 ftw

It took me a min to realize who you were on friday and by then i didnt’ know where you went…i dont’ htink you had as much hair the last time i saw you lol.

but yeah, it’s a handful drivin that on the street but with the non-bb it doesn’t come in as hard and those tires are surprisingly stickly.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/tech.php

that should help him.

Either way for a auto gsx mods for me would be instantly bigger turbo/fuel/FMIC then intake, wideband and a ems ( i dont like piggy backs) that should put him into 11’s if he picks a big enough turbo then hes gotta work on the tranny. which I would let IPT handle. and call it a day. I know a friend of mine hit high tens for just over 3500 bucks and it was auto.