1998 Legacy Outback Limited 5spd $2,200

I have decided to not do anything with this car. I originally bought it to pull the engine and swap it into my Impreza. I then said “screw it” to that idea and moved on to the next idea… I figured I would replace the rusty rear quarters with some new metal and sell it for profit. I am now saying “screw it” to that idea. I don’t have time, nor do I want to spend my limited amount of free time fixing the rusty rear quarters. So, here I am selling this for exactly what I have into it. $2,200.

It is a 1998 Green and Gold Legacy Limited Outback (AWD). It has all the goodies; heated (seats,mirrors, and windshield), leather, Power everything, A/C, CD player weather band radio. Everything works perfectly.

I already know what you’re thinking; it must have blown head gaskets. Not a chance!

This car received a brand new factory crate engine in 2005! The motor only has 41k on it. The purchase and work were all performed at Van Bortel Subaru, in Victor, NY. Along with the brand new motor was a clutch job! This was a ~$4,000 job, and I do have a copy of the receipt. A visual inspection shows that it has new suspension components (KYB). Everything under the car looks great and I would implore you to check it out yourself. This vehicle was a one owner up until 208k; bought from Van Bortel, serviced at Van Bortel, and traded in at Van Bortel.

The car itself has 221,xxx on it. It drives beautifully. No grinds, shifts are firm and accurate, no CELs, no exhaust leaks, everything is great. Just got a NYS inspection in May and passed without any problems. The car is sitting on 16" wheels off a newer Subaru 2.5i.

I have driven this over 200 miles with no issues, and the person I bought it from was driving it daily. It made the 2hr trip home to Buffalo with no issues.

The interior is in perfect shape, and doesn’t show any significant wear.

If nobody wants this now as it sits, in a month the rear quarters will be fixed with new metal and posted on craigslist for $3,300…so buy it now!

Located in Buffalo, NY

I didn’t see it posted, 5spd or auto?

It’s a 5-speed, and this is def. a nice car for the money.

I’m coming from the Honda world, how’s the general reliability with these cars and real world fuel mileage for them?

The 2.5L headgaskets blow around 120k. Subaru automatic transmissions blow around 180k. Those are the only problems that have a trend. Subarus will last +300k if maintained.

This has a 5 spd and a new engine, so don’t worry about a thing. MPGs will put you around 25-27 in the city

Was the engine made in 2005 or a new crate engine that was older?

The 2.5 has a pretty extensive history of head gasket issues, but it seems like most of those issues were resolved in later revisions of the motor.
I also think that the 98 2.5, should have a dohc, but in 99-00+ they changed it to a sohc.

So, if the new crate engine has sohc, that should point to a less likely issues down the road with the head gasket. Which, means I am kind of interested in this car then.

Also, if I am wrong on any of this please let me know, I am just learning as I go here, so I am sure there are people that know vastly more about subaru engines then myself.

I have no idea when the engine was made, but it was installed in 2005. It is a dohc. DOHC is phase I. SOHC is phase II. There are 2 minor differences in the sensors which would require splicing in the wiring. This is the only reason I could see VanBortel installing the dohc.

Subaru is well aware of the headgasket issues, and redesigned the headgaskets after the trend started to show itself. I couldn’t imagine Subaru would build an engine an not put in the redesigned headgaskets. The HG don’t blow till 100k on the first design.

absolutely right. This car looks in perfect shape for the year. I love mine, same year and everything. You’ve got everything covered completely the only thing you possibly didn’t mention would be the rear brake lines which are an easy fix.

Alright, so really what is the deal with this car. I found two other ads that match your wording spot on, but they each have different information about the engine, rust (visible and not visible depending on the ad), repaired rust already, etc.

I don’t mean to shit up your for sale thread, but when I start to see multiple ads with different stuff, it starts to make me wonder what is true about it.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123093

1998 Legacy Outback Limited
Edit: Located in Buffalo, NY

This is more of a “feeler” for right now but I should be selling this in the next couple months…or right away if someone wants to make moves.

The chasis has 221,xxx on it. The motor is THE BEST ONE EVER - 1996 2.2L with a new timing belt, waterpump, cam and crank seal 10k ago!!! The motor has 140k on it. The outback is freshly NYS inspected and drives great. All the leather is in good shape and the heated seats, mirrors, and windshield work perfectly. The clutch was replaced in the last 40k. All shifts are smooth and direct. The car drives great!!

Of course there is rust! Has the typical fender rust, one door is starting to rust, and a c-pillar starting to rust through at the bottom. The C-pillar could be a very easy fix by just welding in a plate; the hole is small. There is no rust anywhere else.

There is a new filler neck, and the gas tank does not leak!!

Asking 2,200 obo for the awesomeness of the 2.2L. It’s the green/gold 30th anniversary edition. I’ll have pics up soon. Just posting now to see if there is any interest.

emails are faster at… peric44 @ gmail
Last edited by fnlyfnd; 05-23-2011 at 07:03 PM…

Re: 1998 Legacy Outback Limited
Anyone interested in the car with a 40,000 mile Suabru crate Long block 2.5L and clutch all installed by a Subaru dealer? (installed in 2005; all brand new)

Asking $2,300 for the car like this just to get it out of my yard. I don’t think i want to bother with the swap…

I could even get the rust taken car of the right way! Cutting it out and welding in new metal. The door should (and probably will) just get replaced; It’s easier
Last edited by fnlyfnd; 05-23-2011 at 07:05 PM…

And here

FS: NY 1998 Legacy Outback Limited 5spd
I am posting this now as the car will be for sale in a few weeks. It is a 1998 Green and Gold Legacy Limited Outback. It has all the goodies; heated (seats,mirrors, and windshield), leather, Power everything, A/C, CD player weather band radio. Everything works perfectly. No rust to really speak of. The rear quarters are in great shape and it is apparent that they have been fixed with new metal welded into place. It is not very noticeable on the exterior, but if you look through the interior of the back hatch you can see paint thrown over the welds to inhibit them from rusting. It’s hard to find rust on the body of this car; it’s very minimal in random spots and nothing at all is even close to rusting into a hole. I know this is hard to imagine for a 1998 Subaru in NY, but this car has been taken care of very well.

I already know what you’re thinking; Well if it doesn’t have any rust it must have blown head gaskets. Not a chance!

This car received a brand new factory crate engine in 2005! The motor only has 41k on it. The purchase and work were all performed at Van Bortel Subaru, in Victor, NY. Along with the brand new motor was a clutch job! This was a ~$4,000 job, and I do have a copy of the receipt. A visual inspection shows that it has new suspension components (KYB GR2). Everything under the car looks great and I would implore you to check it out yourself.

The car itself has 221,xxx on it. It drives beautifully. No grinds, shifts are firm and accurate, no CELs, no exhaust leaks, everything is great. Just got a NYS inspection in May and passed without any problems. The car is sitting on 16" wheels off a newer Subaru 2.5i. New brakes put on within the last month on all four corners.

The interior is in perfect shape, and doesn’t show any significant wear.

Asking price is $3,200 obo. Let me know if their is any interest as I could probably sell this sooner. I have a 1996 Impreza wagon which is going to be the replacement. I like the Impreza better because it is smaller and I can throw it around turns much easier

Located in Buffalo, NY

The car is exactly as I posted here on this local forum. All the local venues have seen postings the way it is now. I just found out that I’m going to have to go to Syracuse as much as I can on my days off for family issues. I don’t want this car to sit around anymore

I used the national forums to feel everything out and possibly motivate me to do something with car. I haven’t done anything but drive it while I was fixing rust on my Impreza.

91MR2 can vouch for this car just sitting in the driveway besides the few days I drove it while I was working on my Impreza

That’s the truth, take it or leave it. You can come over and I’ll show you the Impreza with the 2.2L in it, and the rust that I fixed. Then I’ll show you the Outback with bird shit all over it from sitting under a tree. Then I’ll let you buy it :wink:

In each one of the threads I said it wasn’t for sale at that time…

I’ll happily vouch for the seller here, he’s about as honest and straight up as they come. Potentional buyers will not be dissappointed/suprised…

I might need to check this out . Where are you at and when are you around ?

I’m in N Buffalo

send me an email peric44/gmail

More pics: Update price to 2,000 obo

1K + My truck??
http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?221019
Shoot me a pm if so

sold

damn. read all the way though the read and got interested when I saw the interior pics.

edit first post and thread title to reflect sold pls?