Looking for a DD, Subaru guys help!

I’m looking for a DD in the next few months. Driving it in the winter and occasionally in the summer. I think I want a subaru but need some info before I decide. I wanna spend around 4K on the car itself, so that doesn’t include registration etc. A wagon would be ideal, and it has to be 5spd. I really don’t care what bodystlye it is, ie forester or outback or w/e. I also want heated seats. Now with that all said what should I look for? I know Im in the late 90s range but I cant figure out how the models work to get the options I want. Outback? Legacy? Impreza? What about motors, do they have different ones that I should avoid? I wont mod the car at all, and the ones I am lookin at are over 100k, how long do they last? Any common problems? I read on nasioc a little and some have head gasket problems…is that all the motors? I dont know the engine codes so that doesnt help lol… The cars i see seem rust free, any common rust spots to looke for that I dont see?

Thanks

Late 90’s 2.5L are the ones to be cautious about. The head gaskets fail around 100k.

Imprezza’s will ride more sporty, and be much zippier, while the Legacy is a much smoother ride. I haven’t been in a Forester but have heard they ride a bit harsher than the legacy.

Aside from the HG on the late 90’s 2.5L, Subarus are tanks. Very durable, and they avoid rust pretty well. My '96 Outback is a WNY car for it’s whole life and just started getting some rust on the lower door area on one side, but the chassis is still clean as a whistle.

If you want something practical only, get a Legacy wagon/Outback. Tons of room.
If you want something still reasonable but sporty and more fun to drive, go with an Imprezza wagon.

The majority of subarus have head gasket issues, the 2.5 dohc in the 95-99 legacys and outbacks, 98 foresters, and 98-00 imprezas like bigairskier said tend to go at about 100k, The newer generation 2.5 sohc headgaskets have even more issues i’ve seen them go at 30k but once they’re fixed they seem to be fine for 100k +++, the new gaskets must be different than those that they came with. The only engine that seems to be immune from this problem and run forever are the 2.2L’s. As far as rust goes, the quarters like hondas and the bottoms of doors. Essentially an outback is a legacy, just different suspension, trim, and accessories. With 4k you should be able to get a really nice impreza outback sport that comes with the 2.2l which would be my route, they’re kind of ugly but its a DD.

Sweet, i was gonna call you tonight anthony if u didnt see this. what year range would you look for? i would prefer a little luxury over sporty if that makes sense. id love heated seats and 5spd…can i get that in a outback or do i look for a legacy? how much is a head gasket to get fixed?

Yes, the 2.2L is bulletproof. It can be loud though as it’s prone to very loud lifter tick. My outback has the 2.2l and gets an average of 26mpg consistently.

And as was said, and Outback is just a legacy with a raised suspension and some trim differences.

My Outback has the cold weather package. Heated seats and mirrors. I think all Legacy’s have the cold weather package available. Not sure if Imprezzas offer it.

so an outback is a trim level offered under the impreza and legacy name? is lifter tick easy to fix on these? i know how but is it too hard because of engine configuration?

Lifter tick is a normal thing, it’s not a concern on these cars as far as reliability goes.

Sorry but you’re all backwards. The only headgasket problem motor is the DOHC 2.5L. The SOHC motor fixed this problem and they do not have headgasket issues. Infact I’ve never heard of an SOHC EJ25 ever having to replace the headgaskets.

Moving on to the next problem, the 96-99 Outback (automatic) 96-99 Legacy GT, the 98 Forester, and the 98 Impreza 2.5RS are the only vehicles that had the DOHC motor.

The 2.2L is definitely one of the more “bulletproof” of Subaru engines, albeit fairly anemic in the power department. The DOHC 2.5 that has had its headgaskets replaced (more likely than not with the updated gaskets to resolve the issues) is a good choice too. If you find a DOHC that doesn’t have documented gasket replacements, stay away.

For what you want to spend, you should be able to get any Impreza L wagon, early Outback or Legacy (non-GT) with ~100k or less. You might even be able to find a 98 RS or Forester with new headgaskets and a lot of miles.

943kgt works for subaru. he’s probably correct. thanks for the models to look for…im gonna shoot for a legacy i think…hopefully i can do some more research tonight. im on a cell phone now lol. this def cleared lots up for me.

Outback = Legacy trim
Outback Sport = Impreza trim

whats involved in swapping head gaskets?

hmmm i suppose thats why i sell at least 3 sets of headgaskets for 00-04 legacy’s every week and i’m only part time??? There are also problems with the sohc motor with piston slap, which involves revised pistons that are only a few thousandths of an inch larger, if they’re bad enough they require a shortblock. What we usually replace are the headgaskets (obviously), intake, exhaust, rocker cover, and t-belt if needed. We usually send the heads out to get resurfaced and checked.

from what i read you pull the motor to do the gaskets… what are we talking to get the motor out, 6hrs? would you do the clutch and shit too while you’re in there?

if the car is 100K plus miles and your doing the head gaskets it would probably be a good idea to throw a clutch in it as well.

i have a 96 L sedan with the 2.2 & 140K. miles and it purs like a kitten & dosent burn any oil. the only thing to look for is the rear 1/4 where the bumper bolts to the fender… its the first place to rot out. on the old imprezas.

the dohc’s have to be pulled, the majority of the sohcs if not all are done in the car

hmmm… decisions decisions lol. i’ll still have my current daily driver so i could easily put the suby in the garage and do the HG myself. but do i really want to? lol.

This would be the best time to buy a Subaru as far as value is concerned in Buffalo. Make sure you pick a winner because they hold thier value well.

Honestly every car you are going to consider will have problems in some way or another, in the case of subaru’s they’re good cars worth fixing. Be glad you’ve got someone that works at a dealership that can help you if you need it!

lol, i’d def. need help with this one. i’m reading online what’s all involved…doesnt seem too too difficult. it’s always the broken and rusted bolts that get me lol. gonna have to see what i can get one for and plan to put $1000 into a clutch and all the replacement parts. it’s something i plan to keep for 3-4 yrs too so it seems as though its my most logical choice. 4k doesn’t get you much with the options i want…especially awd.

You may work for Subaru, but you got most of what you said wrong. You seem to work in a parts department and don’t know what engines are in what cars. I don’t think that says a lot of good.

And in my personal experience, owning two SOHC EJ25s, one of which had high mileage and formerly turbo’d and the other 0-40,000 miles, they didn’t have headgasket issues. The former had a piston slap issue that lasted until I swapped the car (if its in a car, probably still running fine). I also frequent a forum of cars that all had/have SOHC and DOHC EJ25s, and only the DOHCs have headgasket issues.

But, you’re the one who works in a Subaru dealership.