1999 accord vtec, givin me guff!

its like this, i just purchased a 1999 accord from a friend, and before i got it she had a drunken mishap, where her front bumper and a guardrail met in an unpleasant manner, shortly after the check engine light came on and now the motor doesnt rev past 4 grand. ive already checked the ecu as directed to check for shorts, fried wires and/or pins…everthing checked out.

now my question for any of you out there willing to help me is this…what else could be causing this issue, the phyical damage was just cosmetic, bumper, fender, inner fender, headlight,…could it be an issue with the vtec electronics? could the shock from the accident maybe have jarred sumthin loose? all wires, grounds, and fuses are in there correct locations and in tact.

any insite would naturally be appreciated.

1999 honda accord L4 vtec 4 door manual 120,000miles

what code is it throwing? that’s a good place to start. just saying it’s throwing a cel is kinda vague.

well its comin on the road in a few days, i dont have a scanner, but when the car is on the road, ill get it scanned
ive heard that this a common problem on vtec motors, where the pin on the ecu will short or the selinoid? is this accurate

to quote your sig… :wtf: i have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

which part? basicly the vtec isnt functioning on the car , it wont rev past 4000 rpm, im askin where should i direct my attention to track the problem, is this a common thing, for the vtec to crap off , and if soo what could it be, from what i hear its either the ecu, or the vtec selenoid,

im not askin for sumone to fix it i just need to know if this is a common issue and where i should look, cars are great but when they shit the bed it sucks!

if it won’t rev past 4000, there is a more serious issue than your vtec not kicking in. tell us what code it is throwing so we can further help you diagnose this problem. this doesn’t sound like a vtec soul annoyed (solenoid) issue. granted, i don’t know a great deal about the f series engine. f22 right?

I have a 98 accord,I replaced the Engine, Rad., front wheel bearings, rear wheel bearings, rear brake lines, rear brake pads and rotors, Gas tank, etc. the cars are a major pain in the ass. Plus teh car has only 93,XXX miles on it. The worst car Honda has made in my opinion. keep away,FAR AWAY.

go get it scanned. you’re blessed with obd-II to help someone as clueless as you.

thanx, now i just gotta get it on the road…

if its not revving past 4grand its probably running in limp mode.

I have a complete head if you need any parts let me know.

limp mode it is, apparently its believed that from the accident that happened in winter, it may have gotten snow,salt, and other random shit jammed in sumwhere which made it go limp…gigady…but i got it cleared and it seems fine…

what kind of head? stock?

Stock ULEV, warped but good parts stuff on it. Just saying in case it was a sensor or something.

So, what happens at 4k? Does it sound like its bogging down and cant physcally go past that, or is it like a electronic limiter where it just hits a wall?

as soon as it hits 4 grand, it just cuts, like a rev limiter…but i figured it out tho…its in limp mode …

[quote=“Nighthawkstalker,post:15,topic:34287"”]

as soon as it hits 4 grand, it just cuts, like a rev limiter…but i figured it out tho…its in limp mode …

[/quote]

you’ve just gotta stop guessing until you have a proper diagnosis. This should take an hour to find, at most, using the proper tools/diagnostic equipment.

scans are free at advance, autozone. go get scanned, come back with codes, check out hondatech as well. seriously, you need to come back with some data

as i said,…it was in limp mode, got it cleared and its workin fine now, not sure what caused it, but they think sumthin got messed up in the accident (obviously), but when it was repaired, meaning wires, and everthing else got put back where it belonged it corrected the original problem , the only think left was to clear the ECU. damn cars…

6th gen accords ftmfw?