2000 Hyundai Elantra - $1500

've only had this about 2 months. This is why : I bid on a car at a town auction last November and was outbid. I then bought this car off craigslist. Earlier this week the town called me and said the bidder never came to pay/pick up the car and asked if I wanted it. It’s a car that fits my need better, so I’m buying it. That’s why the Elantra is up for sale.

Story on the Elantra : PO bought it with about 53K miles on it. I bought it with 108K on it. It has about 109k on it now. It’s a 5 speed manual, PW, AC, Tilt. Body has some rust starting on wheel wheels and rear door rockers mainly on left side - not bad and nothing rusted through. If fixed over this summer, would stop from getting worse. Interior is very nice - I don’t think anyone was in the rear seats much and there are no tears or major stains. The stereo is missing the volume buttons - it has a detachable face plate and PO lost the buttons. It works fine, just have to turn it up/down with something pointy.

I bought it in need of repair - it would not pass inspection and the PO didn’t want to deal with it after a shop gave him a very high price to repair. I put new front brakes on it - rotors, pads, rebuilt the calipers. I also put a complete exhaust minus the muffler since the muffler was newer and in great shape. I put on a new exhaust manifold (original had a crack), new cat, new front pipe, and new mid pipe which connects to the muffler at the rear. I also replaced the downstream 02 sensor. I put new tires on it as well. It was throwing a P0441 code which is a purge solenoid/gas cap/etc code. I cleared it and it stayed off for a couple of weeks, but recently came back on when I put gas in it while it was running. It’s probably either the gas cap or the purge valve - both are cheap and easy to replace - just haven’t had time. It was inspected 2 weeks ago.

I changed the tranny fluid and put in Red Line MT90 which many think is the best fluid for these trannys. It shifts very good - no grinds, noises, etc. The shifter is connected to tranny with cable/arm/bushings. It feels loose and it’s just the rubber bushing at the arm/cable. It does not affect shifting. The clutch is original and still works good. It engages later then a new clutch as expected, but engages fine and has no issues. It also has a fresh oil change.

Other then the P0441 code, the only other issue is that something is up with the brakes on the left rear. After the e-brake is engaged for a bit, it sticks. There is also a vibration most noticeable at about 50MPH - in the seat of your pants - not the wheel. I think it’s related to the brake issue on the left rear. Again, I think it’s a cheap fix, just haven’t found the time to check it out. It runs and drives fine. I’ve taken it down 990/290 to the airport a couple of times and so far put about 1k miles on it - it’s a good car for the money.

I can fix these 2 things, but my asking price will go up to $1750. I’ve adjusted the price based on the new owner having to address these - well not really the P0441 until next January, but the brake issue should be looked at.

I tried to be very through on the description:) I did all this work figuring on keeping the car for a couple of years and had no idea the other car would become available. Just trying to get my money back out of it and not have 4 cars sitting in the driveway!

Pics are from when I bought the car - before the snow arrived.

http://thesherwoodgang.com/elantra/left_front.jpg
http://thesherwoodgang.com/elantra/right_front.jpg
http://thesherwoodgang.com/elantra/back.jpg
http://thesherwoodgang.com/elantra/inside_front.jpg

that compared to a new 2011 is just crazy

I believe this would now be 3 generations back for the Elantra. Lots of miles left in this car. I’m not really an import guy, but Hyundai is I believe the fastest growing car company with something like 35% growth in 2010. From what I’ve seen of the 2011s, they are getting good reviews.

I know the same basic motor/drivetrain was used until 2010 being that this is a late 2ng gen with the 2.0.

we cant keep the new ones on our lot, selling so crazy fast its seriously unreal

This was probably the best Elantra Hyundai made, every one since has been shit. The 2.0’s are solid, and so are the manual transmissions. The generation after this was way too soft, and had control arms that rot out, the next after that was much better but the automatics are very fragile and the electric power steering fails ($2000 part if iot’s out of warranty, and they are only covered to 60k). Maybe the 2011’s will be better still, have to wait on that.

BTW, P0441 is insufficient purge flow, take the purge valve off and try to blow through it, if you can, even a tiny bit, it’s bad. It has nothing to do with the gas cap.

wheres this thing located?

It’s in Newfane - just north of Lockport on RT78/Transit

Thanks for the input on the purge valve - I’m going to look at it this weekend.

does it have cruise? if so my dad might be interested hes looking for a dd to drive from nt to rochester daily

X2, my GF just got a left over 2010 and WOW, it’s like night and day compared to the pics.

Regardless, they make a reliable car and this one is priced right! GLWS OP

It doesn’t have cruise. I have the other car now, would really like to sell this without resorting to EBay. I’ve been driving it every day. Took it down to Walmart and a few other places yesterday with the wife. It runs/drives good.