2000 Mustang AIX build-Watkins Glen track day 4/18-4/19-with vids

Love those flames :tup:

Nice job Mike!

Cars looking good man !

went to TMP this Wednesday to test the car out.

copied from facebook…

Recap of the night. First session out just wanted to test the brakes and feel them out and make sure the car slowed down. Pedal is a little stiff so I’ll probably change the masters over winter. Bias was spot on though as far as I could tell. Probably gonna soften up the springs a little. Car handled excellent. Just felt like the rear didn’t plant as much as I’d like. Came in after a few hard laps and made sure nothing was rubbing or leaking.

So went back out for round 2. Ran the car pretty hard and pushed it a little more. Made 3 laps and was entering the turn off the backstretch and the car lost fuel pressure and pretty much shut off. So I coasted down the middle hoping to refire it, but no luck. So got towed back in to take a look and figured I’d just call it a night and check it out once I got back home.
Probably some kind of issue with the foam/surge tank or filter hopefully. I plan on pulling it apart over the next few days.

But overall. Very pleased with how the car handled. It was very stable under braking and cornering and seemed pretty balanced so at least that’s all squared away. Hoping to make it back out before the season ends

short video of the second session out

https://youtu.be/66ezYJ0XpB8

Sounds healthy. Hopefully the fuel is an easy fix

that looks like a blast. My car would prob set its brakes on fire the first lap :frowning:

Yeah that sounds great from inside! I’m not a fan of the camera position though :slight_smile:

i cant use the diagonal on the main hoop because the seat is in the way, so that was my next best option…for now

Can you mount to the side of the seat? Clearly it’s not as important as safety and there is probably some rule about cameras on seats. Actually a helmet cam might be cool too, it’s just that most of that shot shows parts of car that are not very exciting. And it’s an overall exciting car so the video should relay that :slight_smile:

been thrashing away on this thing since the winter. mostly cosmetic stuff. redid the rear suspension geometry and a whole bunch of stuff related to that to give me more adjustability.
heres what the car looks like now for those of you who arent on social media or im not friends with you.

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36380&stc=1

http://www.nyspeed.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=36381&stc=1

heres the 2nd session out in the car at the Glen. Chuck Basil’s white Boss 302s can be seen multiple times in the video as well as a Miata spinning in turn 1 who probably shit his pants because i closed on him super fast.

and here my 2:11 lap i ran the second day.

the car handles amazing. probably would’ve played around with setup a little if i wasnt cleaning oil off the whole underside of the car everytime i came in. i want to say there is too much crankcase pressure and its just pissing out of the back of the pan and the valve covers but im still digging into that. so out comes the motor when i get a chance. so i was black flagged every session after enough oil got on the exhaust that the car would begin to smoke in some spots.

Sweet Jesus, that thing looks / sounds fucking awesome. I especially like the hard liquor dispensers on the dash within easy reach!

Everything about this is awesome, except for the color scheme (I would have done something different, that’s just me though) and you driving in cut-off jean shorts :slight_smile:

Are those deer whistles on the front lip?

I think the car looks awesome in a classy 2000s way.

Pretty crazy car!

Looks even better in person. Mike if your ever needed a 2nd pair of hands when your tearing it back down let me know!

that car looks super fun and fast, and looks like you have a lot more time to pull out of it.

I used to know someone with a Mustang Track car a wile back and he used the factory smog pump to pull between1-3 psi on the lower half of the crankcase. He claims his ass dyno said 10HP in his favor. Food For Thought

they are actually SS bathroom partition hangers. haha
thanks for the compliment!

who the hell would actually wear jorts? they are just beat up jeans that have wear and tear holes lol. wasnt about to sweat my nuts off in my race suit that session.

there is a lot left in it in terms of shaving some time off, i didnt even get the chance to play with suspension setup at all. tire temps were dead nuts as well as pressure though

that thing is awesome