My Fox Body Mustang Build

I had a thread about buying the car somewhere. but it got cluttered up with the usual “MikeRi24 sucks at the managing money” thing, so I decided to start a new one to focus more on the build of the car.

Background:
When I was about 13 or 14, a friend of mines older brother had a 1993 LX 5.0 hatch, black on black leather. It had Chrome Ponies, Mach 1 hood, and was supercharged. Ever since he had that car, I’ve always wanted it, and when he sold it, I didnt have a license, and also had no money and couldnt buy it. I’ve always wanted this car and in the spring of '07 I had a small epiphany and decided to stop blowing money on cars that I would tire of in a few months, and just buy what I have always wanted (just to clarify, I have also always wanted a black on black 4th gen WS6, but ive tried buying that car about 5 times, and it never happens, so I figured Id try the mustang this time haha). So in May '07, I began searching for a Mustang.

Finding the car: I looked on autotrader, corral, ebay and everywhere in bwtween, and basically found that it was damn near impossible to find a 90-93 black on black leather LX. So, i decided to widen my search and go for an LX that either had black interior or black exterior, and would paint/swap interiors to get what i wanted. I soon found finding any decent Fox Mustang LX 5 speed with black interior for under $4,000 was harder than I thought. I got quite discouraged, and eventually stumbled across a 1992 Mustang GT, automatic, black on Black. It had 70,000 miles, and was all original, the only modifications being GlassPacks welded into the stock exhaust, and a Mach 1 style cowl hood. It also had these horrid looking rims on it. These are the pictures I saw of the car on Corral:

A LOT of PMs and a few phone calls to the seller later, I agreed to purchase the car for the price of $2800. He lived in Lima, OH (look for Columbus on a map, and go directly west almost to the edge of the state), but we agreed to meet at a Travel Center off an Exit in Lodi. This price was without the rims, as I knew someone at my work selling a set of Pony rims and tires which i picked up for $200. On June 24, 2007 my friend and I threw the Ponies and a jack in my truck, gassed up the 'ol 8.1 2500, picked up a U-Haul trailer and set out to Ohio.

A few hours later, we were at the Lodi Travel Center, changed the rims on the car, loaded up the extra 8.8 rear end the guy had for the car, signed the title over, got some Popeye’s Chicken (not all its cracked up to be, gotta be honest), and gassed up the 2500 (again lol) and headed home. with the exception of a stop on PA to load up on fireworks, we were home a few hours later with the car.

The Project Begins:
First thing that had to be taken care of on the car were some safety and drive ability issues. The front brakes were shot, the passenger side caliper was frozen up, and the radiator leaked. So, we put some new rotors, pads and calipers on the front, and threw some stop-a-leak in the radiator for the time being (actually worked pretty good). Next, I tackled the physical appearance of the car. The red molding stripe was peeling and bubbling and I didnt like it to begin with, so some time and a heat gun took that off. I also cleaned up the car in general, which made it look a little better.

The previous owner thought he was McGeyver, and was sadly, sadly, mistaken. he tried re-painting the front bumper and the top of the rear spoiler, and failed…miserably. the car didint look very appealing (adn still doesnt) but thats ok because its getting painted anyway. We also ran some Sea Foam through it for the hell of it.

Next, I began to ponder what to do with the performance of the car, and what I wanted to do about the paint. For the time being, I cleaned up the engine bay, and added a BBK CAI, Ford Racing wires, and an MSD cap and rotor. This made a noticeable difference in how the car performed
Before:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1079/1064272560_b5370fc175.jpg

After:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1003/1064272954_488e61bc80.jpg

I drove the car as it was until about the middle of August, when I got the answer to my questions. My friend who had a Lincoln Mark VII with a mildly build 5.0 in it, decided to part his car out so he could get a Grand National. He offered me the engine at a price that I could not refuse.
Engine Specs
-stock 5.0 block
-GT-40P heads
-Ford Racing/Crane Cams full roller 1:7 rockers
-windage tray
-Ford Motorsport headers
-BBK off-road H-pipe
-1993 Cobra intake manifild
-Ford Racing 75mm throttle body
-March aluminum under drive pulleys
I got rid of the AC with the Ford Racing AC delete kit, and ripped out all of the emission shit (i saved the stock H-pipe with cats JUST IN CASE lol)

I also got the old AOD out of my other friend’s 5.0. It had a shift kit in it, and a B&M torque converter.

Let the deconstruction begin:
I think the pictures say it all

Reconstruction:
Before I put the new transmission in, I put a new filter and replaces all the fluid

Then it was in with all of the new parts

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1132/1436331112_a31b393488.jpg?v=0
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1435/1436331096_9fce3d9f71.jpg?v=0

I also added an external transmission cooler
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1153/1436331120_7cb9d0742b.jpg

The Glass Packs made it kinda loud without the cats. heres a quick vid
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2036049575240002960&hl=en

Interesting.

looks much cleaner :tup:

Thank God those wheels are gone.

Next, I picked up another 8.8 rear end from our very own 87FoxGT which had 3.73s in it. The previous owner gave me a freshly rebuild 8.8 with the car, but that only had 2.73s in it. The rear end that is currently in the car is a 7.5 with 2.43s. yeah, it sucks.

Once I drove the car around for a while and felt comfortable with the new setup , I took a trip to NYIRP for some runs. I was quite disappointed, but considering the gears and that i was getting horrible launches on shitty Perelli tires, I think the basic setup has some room for improvement.
First run:
60’ 2.231
1/8 9.730 @ 76.21 mph
1/4 14.869 @ 94.71 mph

Second run:
60’ 2.542
1/8 9.905 @ 76.40
1/4 15.032 @ 94.95 mph

Third run:
60’ 2.395
1/8 9.851 @ 75.26 mph
1/4 15.036 @ 93.89

Fourth run:
60’ 2.400
1/8 9.998 @ 74.99 mph
1/4 15.077 @ 93.95 mph

Fifth run:
60’ 2.540
1/8 9.830 @ 77.35
1/4 14.904 @ 95.98

next, I decided to get rid of the GT tail lights in favor of a set of LX ones. I also removed the pin stripe

Before winter, I decided to do something about the radio. The previous owner replaced the factory speakers with some low end Pioneers in the front and some WalMart specials in the back. He also had a no-name cd player with a home-made dash kit, and an extremely hacked up wiring job. I was driving around without a radio since i bought the car, because I just ripped the mess out, but solo trip to NYI and back with no tunes made me get a move on getting a radio in there. I put a nice Alpine in and ended up running all new wires to all the speakers. It doesnt sound that great, but its better than dead silence. I will get some new speakers eventually.

I also put in some A-pillar gauges: AutoMeter Sport Comp series Vacuum and trans temp gauges:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2181/1659392147_06a5ef2ebb.jpg

Some end of the year photos:

Since the car has been put away, I have been collecting parts and doing some more “stuff.” I upgraded the alternator form the stock one to the Ford 3G one. This one puts out 130 amps as opposed to the stock one which puts out 75 amps. This helped with the under drive pulleys as well as helping provide enough power to run the Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan which I have also installed.
Here you can see that I re-used the old charcoal tank bracket to mount the fuse holder for the alternator and the fan controller

I also picked up all of the parts to do an LX swap on it. I plan on getting the car painted in the spring, and plan on replacing the headlights with some new ones as well as replacing all of the weather stripping and restoring all of the window moldings.

I decided to get rid of the hood, as much as I thought I would like it, I think the cowl is a little too big for my taste, and I dont really have anything under the hood where I would need it. I got a stock hood, which was silver. I painted it with a rattle can (just for the time being) and it actually came out pretty good. this picture looks like it has a lot of shitty spots on the hood, but the car is really dusty. hopefully you can take my word for it that it looks halfway decent.

I also got a T5 for free, and I am working on rebuilding that over the winter as well.

This winter I am mainly going to get the car ready for the LX swap and paint, and get new drums, shoes, hardware, shocks, and urethane bushings for the new 8.8 and get that put in. If funds allow, I am going to continue to work on rebuilding the T5, and get all new gears and synchros for it and a Pro 5.0 shifter. I will also have to get the a clutch (not sure what I will go with), the bell housing and the pedals and flywheel (which I already have sourced). I will prob end up getting an aluminum driveshaft for it too. New tires all the way around are a MUST as well.

So thats it so far, just thought I’d share my project and progress with everyone. I couldnt be happier with the car and cant wait to get it finished and back out for some more cruising in the summer!

nice.

Have fun with it, that’s all that matters. And huge :tup: on not taking those wheels.

get that rear end and t5 in there :tup:

lookin good. let me know if you need any help or parts

Why is there a 7.5 rear end in the car? Those came with 8.8 from the factory.

[quote=“JaysGreenLX,post:9,topic:39860"”]

Why is there a 7.5 rear end in the car? Those came with 8.8 from the factory.

[/quote]

the previous owner blew the stock rear end, and had it rebuilt with factory 2.73s. for whatever reason while the rebuild was happening, he put the 7.5 in there and never put the 8.8 back in. I got the 8.8 with the car, but sold it when I bought my new 8.8 with 3.73s.

well, not much of an update seen as how I have literally not touched the car in about a month due to temporary lack of funds (xmas cleaned me out pretty good) and time. but, Santa wad nice to me this year and i got a full 6 piece set of brand new headlights, turn signals, and side marker because if you look at the pictures, god knows they have seen better days. I also got a really nice set of new floor mats with the 5.0 thing embroidered on them.

Unfortunately, I can’t get going on the rear end because i only have a small 1 car garage. theres plenty of room to work on the engine from the top and to walk around the front and driver’s side of the car, but nowhere near enough room to do the rear end change. I have been toying with the idea of taking the motor apart to put a different cam in it, but it runs great as it is, so im not gonna mess with it, and keep my priorities straight in terms of what i want to have done for this summer.

fucking hotness

leave the old cam in there till u get in some more passes at the strip.

:tup:

best thread you’ve ever made. i like it a lot :tup:

+1

Looks super clean dude.
Not even a big fan on the fox bod but that looks good.
keep it up.

Pictures you took look decent too.

nice thread

shit yeah

nice, lovin the fox bods

i like your signiature i think your like the 5th person who has quotes of mine in their sigs

i have Chassis Engineering subframe connectors and a drive shaft safety loop for this car… if your interested pm me an offer…

looks good dude

The more I think about what’s going on in this thread, the more obvious it is that we’ve somehow stepped into…

http://www.inhi-fi.com/robots/01/tzone4.jpg