2000 Saab 9-3 Auto trans issues.. any insight? Anyone ever do a 5mt swap?

My friend from HS is thinking about getting rid of his 2000 Saab 9-3 for very cheap. It has 120k and has some of the usual issues (SIDS display pixels, heat works intermittently, etc) but is over all in good shape and the motor is going strong.

That said the auto trans is on it’s way out. For some reason it’s worse when it’s cold but the trans is slipping and slams itself into gear when shifting into R and D.

That said I have zero experience or knowledge when it comes to these cars. I could use a daily and this seems to be a good candidate. Is it easy to do a 5 speed swap to these cars? How much would a trans, pedal box, etc all cost and where would I even find the stuff?

TIA

You could pull codes. It is possible that the trans issues are as simple as a faulty speed sensor. Just a thought. I don’t have any exp with saab’s so I have nothing else to add to this thread

I haven’t had the time to look at the car but he brought the car to his mechanic and they apparently found metal shavings in the trans fluid.

I had a 2003 9-3 and they put three new auto trans in the car in less than 2 months, the third one has lasted 3 years and shows no signs of slipping (bro is still driving it). The dealer said they are hit or miss.

Ya I’d be skeptical to put another auto in. Any ideas on where I can find the needed parts for a 5 spd swap?

time for a cobalt ss/sc swap?