any major issues with 99 saab 9-3

anyone know of any major issues with these cars?

Talk to Double J…

He has a Saab 9-3. We’ve got a '99 9-5 and it is an awesome car. If you’re looking to get one, you’ll be VERY satisfied. Incredibly comfortable cars. Cheap as hell, because for some reason they don’t hold value. For example, our '99 9-5 auto with 130k on it was a little over $6k I believe.

The motor is extremely strong on Saabs. Saabs in general are built to take quite a beating. and they are quite peppy, torquey and quick stock. JJ’s 9-3 can spin going into 3rd no problem. And this is all stock.

older saab’s looks make baby jesus cry

tell me your not buying a Saab now?

i have to go test drive one later on

wher ei went to school in maine, everyone drove a saab. it is because they are tanks. very reliable motors. clutchs and trans. are the only probs i have ever heard of.

i think it takes them forever and a day to warm up in cold weather too, but who cares, my subaru takes forever and alli do is get my ass outside and start it when i wake up.

saabs are thumbs up in my opinion

i have been on saabcentral and havent seen anything that worries me too much.
they seem like pretty solid cars

geetimg rid of the veedub for a saab??

haha

engines are tanks.
transmissions are not.
anyone know where to get a tranny for a 91 9000?? :slight_smile:
I think im going to fix it based on how good it still runs

not sure. i just about have everything fixed on the vw, but the saab is being sold for a pretty good price. so i might step up and get the newer car with less miles, and sell off the passat.

goood move…good luck

no such thing.

I actually have a 900. when the name was changed to 9-3 in 99 there were over 1300 minor revisions made to the car, many i wish my car had.

here is my favorite forum for saab info: http://www.saablink.net/

after 94 when saab went with a more traditional transverse engine layout, the transmissions became much stronger than the old weird transmission that also served as the oil pan setup they had in the past. I will admit that the syncros are still a bit weak. i messed up 2nd to 3rd a few weeks ago racing newman in his old STi and it isn’t the same anymore. :smash2:

as far as reliability goes, i have owned 7 VAG products now and all i can say is the saab blows them all away.

Are you looking at a turbo model?? I would highly reccomend it. the 2.3 NAs are reliabile as hell, but less than spirited. the 2.0 turbo is extremely reliable as long as you stay up on the synthetic oil changes. the return oil line on the turbo has a tendency to “coke up” when the oil gets old, which results in a blown turbo. i have never run into the issue because i make sure i have fresh oil in there every 3000-4500 miles.

any other questions let me know. i’ll try to help ya out!

Edit: timing chains are known to go too. much like VW vr6s, the normal time that they break varys. mine are still original at 124k and a bit noisy. it is one of the reasons i am taking mine off the road for a few months.

its the turbo 2.0 coupe. lots of good info… thanks. after i drive it if i have any q’s i will give you a shout.

thanks

I do know that Saab has an extended warranty (I think that’s what they’re calling it) regarding the engines’ tendancy to accumulate oil sludge. :slight_smile:

Well, okay, so it doesn’t affect you per say:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/maintenance-accessories/engine-sludge-1205/overview.htm

awesome. coupes are fairly rare. most of the 900s and old body style 9-3s running around are 5 door autos driven by artsy soccer moms in north buffalo. :biglol:

Actually there was this girl at my high school that drove one and it was her mom’s before. And she played soccer. And it was a 5 door.

And my cousin drove one, but not during her artsy years when she lived in Toronto and designed clothes (or wanted to). This was during her welding years at the John Deere plant. She drove a Passat during her artsy years. :stuck_out_tongue:

so weird, but also so cool. i helped a friend pull a motor in his 900, and i was really surpried when i saw it. i still think it is pretty efficient, but def not made to beat on

Is this at checkpoint per chance>? If so, i drove it… clutch feels fine lol

True statement…:meh: