2005 BMW M5 vs 2005 Cadillac STS-V

When we gave you details on BMW’s new M5 due here next summer (Cover, April 26), we had to read between the lines to get the full picture. Now BMW has released the first official photos and more details.

At the new M5’s heart is a purpose-built 5.0-liter V10 delivering 507 hp. With individual throttle butterflies, BMW’s bi-Vanos variable valve timing, dual-flow stainless steel exhaust system and a stratospheric 8250-rpm redline, the BMW delivers its 507 hp at 7750 rpm and 383 lb-ft 6100 rpm. This is up 107 hp and 15 lb-ft on the outgoing model’s 4.9-liter V8 engine, making the new M5 is the most powerful road-going BMW ever.

The engine is mated to a third-generation version of BMW’s sequential manual gearbox (SMG), now boasting seven forward ratios and new electronics to speed shift times 20 percent. With 11 different shift programs, six in manual mode and five in automatic, the driver can tailor the gearbox’s action to suit the conditions. There’s even a launch control function.

Another new feature is the M5’s power button. At start up, the driver is given access to 400 hp in a default program, dubbed P400. Depressing the button unleashes P500 and the engine’s full 507 hp wallop along with a more responsive throttle. In P500 BMW says the new car will hit 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and its 155 mph top speed in 14.9 sec. With its speed-limiting chip removed, BMW says its new sedan will reach 205 mph, although company policy prohibits official modification, even at the dealer level.

Underpinning the new M5 is a modified version of the 5-series’ MacPherson strut (front) and multi-link (rear) suspension. While the geometry and pick-up points are the same, the ride height has been reduced and more negative camber added to handle cornering forces BMW claims can top 1.3 g.

The new car also adopts electronic damping control (EDC), providing the driver with three stiffness levels: comfort, normal and sport. The EDC is linked to the M5’s power steering system, which provides the driver two assistance levels.

There’s also two-stage dynamic stability control (DSC); the first stage with grip levels corresponding to a standard 5-series, the second stage, dubbed M Dynamic, allowing what BMW describes as “greater levels of slip.” Helping to rein the new M5 in are impressive looking 14.75-inch (front) and 14.5-inch (rear) ventilated and cross-drilled steel discs with twin-piston aluminum calipers. BMW says 62 to 0 mph takes less than 118 ft and 124 to 0 mph less than 460 ft.

BMW claims the new M5 can lap the Nürburgring, where much of its development was done, in 8 minutes, 25 seconds less than the outgoing M5.

http://www.km.ru/images/auto/1606-BMW_M5_2005.jpg

STS-V

Supercharged 4.6L V-8

430HP

2006 Model year receives 6.4L V8

Hydra-Matic 6-speed automatic transmission with overdrive 6th gear and electronically controlled shifts with driver shift control

Improved Spoiler with a higher tilt degree. Spoiler will be integrated more than the Add On Spoiler.

3rd brake light integrated into spoiler

STS Information

W/O tack-on Spoiler (Marc LeNeve hates the Spoiler)
Top Speed Electronically limited to 130MPH

W Tack-On Spoiler
Top Speed Electronically limited to 155MPH

Apparently the STS was getting lifted from the back without a spoiler, so they needed to give it a spoiler to keep it on the ground to quote Marc "…thats how powerful this car is…"

0-60 in under 5 Seconds!!

Not much more information on the STS-V

http://x.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2004/01/14/WKA2004011457454_pv.jpg

no comparison.

BMW > Cadillac.

period.

they’ll both be low 13 second cars.

With the Cadillac weighing in a lot less than the BMW. Handling numbers are supposed to be pretty close to. But the difference in price is going to warrant BMW’s build quality, and luxuries

But the price tag rumors of the BMW ranging at $110,000 and the Cadillac coming in at $75,000. Who knows.

Another thing to note. Cadillac hasn’t been known to produce performance vehicles. I think it’s always a good thing to see a luxury company add performance to their lineup, and still maintain their qualities.

:rofl:

no fucking contest.

i love BMW, the caddy is not even in the same league as an old M5

not much has been said about the STS-V performance wise… so the jury is still out

i just don’t think the people of caddy can engineer something to compete against the looks and all around performance of an M5

Your probably 100% right… but I’d like to see how close they come with a $35,000 difference

don’t bring money as a factor. cause people that buy those cars, don’t really worry about how much anything is

im not making it a factor. I know, and you know, the M5 will more than likely be a better car than the STS-V. But it’s nice to see variety out in the market

Before, all you really had was the S4 and the M5. For so many years. It’s definitely cool to see cars loaded with luxuries, performing like sports cars.

definitely… maybe i will run into a money tree one day and i can by all the generations of the M5… that would be soooo pimp

it’s planted near Redmond, Washington. Supposedly at some guy named Bill’s house? :rofl:

actually… I’m really liking the Volvo S60-R

so is that a typo where BMW is claiming 1.3G’s out of the new M5? Because if thats accurate, it would pretty much demolish just about anything on the road…

That car is simply jaw dropping. BMW aint fucking around no more! :bigthumb:

I’m thinking about buying the new STS. I had one of the old ones and It would :boink 90% of the cars on this board. It sure suprised me for how heavy it was. It only ran 14’s but for the ricers it was a roll racers dream :kekegay:

i just cut’n pasted

they are tired of mercedes kicking their asses with an auto in every magazine comparo.

blue - the new s60r is awesome. hell, I still like the old 850 turbo t5.

CTS-V > STS-V
and
S70R > S60R
I really like the R’s too but from what i’ve read the volvo R’s are in the midddle performance wise…not quite on the level of BMW M, or Audi S, or caddy V…its just a tad off in perfomance & cost, but better then stuff like Saabs, 330’s, etc…

i would seriously consider a volvo R if i was in the market for a $35K car.