2006 Civic Sedan/Coupe

I like the coupe sans the ugly wing they put on. The sedan is…well what is going on with that front end? Did they want to copy a car company with no purpose but to cater to people that don’t care about cars… that makes me mad. grr.

wrong. they didn’t copy any other company, IMO.

that style has been used in many AsianDM Honda cars…

the front, absorb JDM Honda odyssey which they didn’t bring to US.

also, take a look at the sedan’s mirror…those are Honda City (asianDM) mirror style…

what’s true, Hyundai is copying Honda’s design. IMO. take a look at the new Sonata…remodeled accord?

I wasn’t refering to Hyundai.

Regardless that front end is still ugly. Maybe there’s a reason behind it.

lol…

that hyundai example is just my opinion…

anywho, i think the front end looks nice…probably cos’ i’ve seen the original design which came from that odyssey that i talked earlier…

the odyssey’s headlight is a blueish HID…wonder what these vics use for their headlight…

Rumored xenons in the Si. I don’t think you will see them replacing the RSX directly.

They look icky

i also heard…that rsx will be discontinued after few next model…

dunno whether it’s true or not

Corey… what’re you doing man?

You need to get your hands on a bad ass, 69ish Chevy Nova, with a fully built 502 in it. But then again, a 383 wouldn’t be bad to start with either.

In spanish Nova eloquently said “no go.”

If I was going to go old, I’d go Chrysler Airflow. :o

i heard a rumor of that too,
supposodly :gotme: that the rsx is being discontinued, the civic si will be a replacement for the rsx-s and there will also be a 2 door acura TSX. i have no idea if thats true or not ??

and the 4 door isnt awful, i can deal with the front but the rear is fugly

i think it looks pretty neat but it could use some tweaks here and there.

:crap: :tdown:

i heart honda but that looks like that toyota hybrid thing and i dont like it.

I like the Si quite a bit. The sedan isn’t too bad either.

I have to see it in person, for what I see, I’m not impressed at all

Another generation of race cars

egh…not diggin’ it that much…

i love honda’s …but i dont know…they should have done something a little bit different with the 'o6 other than that…

looks like the offspring of a Mercedes SLK, Saturn, and Toyota Prius. I don’t like it.

don’t like it at all…:eek:

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/image/4050705_a/01.jpg

http://world.honda.com/HDTV/news/2005-4050705a/

TOKYO, Japan, July 5, 2005 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today announced that it has developed a new 1.8l i-VTEC engine to be introduced this fall in the new Civic that achieves both more powerful performance and improved fuel economy. The engine employs an intelligent VTEC system that switches the valve timing for maximum efficiency during startup and acceleration to achieve powerful, torquey performance, then delays intake valve closure timing during cruising and other low-load conditions for improved fuel economy. Use of the valve timing control system results in off-the-line acceleration performance equivalent to a 2.0-liter engine, fuel economy approximately 6% better than the current 1.7-liter Civic engine, making it one of the world’s most efficient 1.8-liter engine designs. During cruising, the new engine achieves particularly high fuel economy, on a par with that of a 1.5-liter engine.

Under low-load conditions on conventional engine, the throttle valve is normally partly closed to control the intake volume of the fuel-air mixture. During this time, pumping losses are incurred due to intake resistance, and this is one factor that leads to reduced engine efficiency. With the i-VTEC engine, however, intake valve closure timing is delayed to control the intake volume of the air-fuel mixture, allowing the throttle valve to remain wide open even under low-load conditions for a major reduction in pumping losses of up to 16%. Combined with comprehensive friction-reducing measures, this results in a significant increase in fuel efficiency for the engine itself.

A DBW (Drive By Wire) system provides high-precision control over the throttle valve while the valve timing is being changed over, ensuring smooth driving performance that leaves the driver unaware of any torque fluctuations. Other innovations include a variable-length intake manifold that delivers optimum inertia effectto further improve intake efficiency and piston oil jets that cool the pistons to suppress engine knock, for powerful torque even atrpm ranges typical in normal driving. The new engine delivers a high level of performance, with maximum output of 103kW (140PS) and maximum torque of 174N·m (17.7kg·m). It also delivers cleaner emission performance, employing a 2-bed catalytic converter positioned immediately after the manifold and high-precision air-fuel ratio control to achieve emission levels 75% below 2005 Japanese government standards (based on Honda in-house testing).

In addition, lower block construction resulting in a more rigid engine frame, aluminum rocker arms, high-strength cracked connecting rods, a narrow, silent cam chain, and other innovations make the engine more compact and lightweight. It is both lighter and shorter overall than the current Civic 1.7l engine, and quieter as well.

*All values according to Honda in-house calculations

Specifications for the 1.8l i-VTEC engine
Engine type and number of cylinders Water-cooled in-line 4-cylinder
Displacement (cc) 1,799
Bore × Stroke (mm) 81.0 × 87.3
Max. Output (kW [PS]/rpm) 103 [140]/6,300
Max. Torque (N·m [kg·m]/rpm) 174 [17.7]/4,300
Compression Ratio 10.5
*All values according to Honda in-house calculations

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/4050705_b.html

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/image/4050705_b/01.jpg

Video

TOKYO, Japan, July 5, 2005 - Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announced that it has developed a New Honda Hybrid System, which features a 3-stage i-VTEC engine that employs Honda’s intelligent VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) system to provide three stages of valve timing (low-rpm, high-rpm, and cylinder idle mode), combined with Honda’s IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) system that has been made significantly more compact and efficient. The New Honda Hybrid System will be introduced in the all-new Civic Hybrid, to be launched this fall.

The New Honda Hybrid System employs intelligent engine functions and a more efficient IMA system to achieve an approximate 20% increase in system output over the current system1 and the powerful performance of a 1.8-liter engine while improving fuel economy by 5%2, reducing the system size by 5% and attainting a world-leading level of emissions performance. The system offers significantly improved performance and fuel economy over the current system.
1 Current Civic Hybrid system
2 Compared to current Civic Hybrid when driven in 10-15 mode

The 3-stage i-VTEC engine employs three hydraulic pathways to couple and uncouple five rocker arm assemblies, providing three stages of valve control depending on the driving conditions to achieve a combination of responsive driving and fuel economy. During deceleration when the cylinders are idle, combustion in all four cylinders is halted and the cylinders sealed shut, reducing pumping losses caused by engine aspiration for a 10% improvement in recovery of braking energy compared to the current model3. Virtually everything possible has been done to reduce friction as well, including the use of aluminum die-cast pistons, which feature low thermal expansion for less friction under high-temperature conditions, ion-plated piston rings, and plateau honing of the cylinder walls for a smoother surface.
3 Current Civic Hybrid

Honda’s independently developed electric motor employs coils with high-density windings and high-performance magnets to attain output 1.5 times that of the current model while maintaining the same size. The inverter used to control motor speed—also independently developed and manufactured by Honda—is integrated with the motor’s ECU for more precise digital control, contributing to even greater motor efficiency and fuel economy. Battery output has been increased by around 30% over the current model3, while a more compact, custom designed battery storage box offers increased cooling performance and vibration resistance for improved long-term reliability.

Also, a dynamic regenerative braking system is employed that hydraulically controls the brakes based on the amount of brake regeneration. This permits maximum braking regeneration along with smooth deceleration that conforms to brake-pedal pressure. The air conditioner features a hybrid compressor that is powered by both the engine and the motor. When the engine is in Idle Stop mode the compressor is powered by the motor; if rapid cooling is required it is powered by the engine and motor combined. When the temperature is stable it runs off the motor alone, for both improved comfort and fuel savings .
*All values are based on Honda in-house calculations

New Honda Hybrid System Modes of Operation

• Vehicle stationary
The engine is turned off and fuel consumption is zero.

• Startup and acceleration
The engine operates in low-speed valve timing mode, with motor assist.

• Rapid acceleration
The engine operates in high-speed valve timing mode, with motor assist.

• Low-speed cruising
The valves of all four of the engine’s cylinders are closed and combustion halted. The motor alone powers the vehicle.

• Gentle acceleration and high-speed cruising
The engine operating in low-speed valve timing mode powers the vehicle.

• Deceleration
The valves of all four of the engine’s cylinders are closed and combustion halted. The motor recovers the maximum amount of energy released during deceleration and stores it in the battery.

Specifications for the New Honda Hybrid System

Power source Engine Engine type and
number of cylinders Water-cooled in-line 4-cylinder
Displacement (cc) 1,339
Bore × stroke(mm) 73.0 × 80.0
Electric motor Electricmotor type AC synchronous drive (Ultra-thin DC brushless motor)
Rated voltage (v) 158
Performance Engine Max. output
(kW [PS]/rpm) 70[95]/6,000
Max. torque
(N·m [kg·m]/rpm) 123[12.5]/4,500
Electric motor Max. output
(kW [PS]/rpm) 15[20]/2,000
Max. torque
(N·m [kg·m]/rpm) 103[10.5]/0~1,160
System
Output Max. output
(kW [PS]) 70+15[95+20]