2006 Ford Ranger skipping at idle?

Just bought an 06 Ranger, truck drives great and is very reliable, I’ve had it for less than a week and have driven it about 400 miles with no problems but the check engine light is on and at idle it skips. I just changed the coil and the plugs and wires look new… Anyone have any ideas on what else it could be? I believe the code is a random misfire which usually means a coil pack or plugs and wires right?

Plugs or wires wouldn’t cause a random.

Filling with E85, having a bad Maf, having a vacuum leak would all cause a random misfire as well as a central coil.

vlad just stop lololol . plugs and wires WILL cause a random lol.

How would they be a random and not a dedicated cylinder?

flippin whipzzz

sounds coil pack/plug/wire related

Did you have the code ran? It’s unclear from your post.

+1!

Had the same code on a couple cars, one was coil, one was bad wires.

I guess it’s possible but it’s def not a likely cause.

Also check EGR but it should through EGR codes as well. Brand new cheap wires will cause misfire. Bosch plugs also a common culprit.

if you getplugs, wires, or coils from anywhere but MOTORCRAFT or FORD for this, don’t bother posting about the misfire not going away!!

I scanned the code myself, I think one of them was po136, but when I looked up code it was random misfire, ill check again later… The coil was ford I believe, ill check plugs and wires today and as they were replaced before I bought the truck.

vlad , just stop on the adv auto diagnoses lolol . a random is the first sign of a needed tune lolol . if its a dedicated cyl ya have a problem with one plug /coil/or whatnot . as plugs wear the gap gets greater and greater so in time it will just RANDOMLY missfire or a couple bad wires will RANDOMLY missfire or arc out .

the problem is on the grille circled in blue and white. Does it idle low and rough?

Random MULTIPLE misfire. Advance has nothing to do with this John. It’s on multiple cylinders.

P0136 is an O2 code anyway.

Let’s find out what the problem is, curious now.

po136 is a b1 s2 heater circuit or slow resp code . not gonna affect a misfire . and a bad tune up is gonna affect multiple cyl,s not just one lol

In for results :lol

thats what you get for buying piece of shit cars …

It’s all good, I bought a truck that books for $8k for 2900, i’ve got $5,100 left before it becomes a bad deal :slight_smile:

Dropped it off at shop, ill know whats up tomm, ill let you guys know then.

Whatever he’s doing seems to be working out well for him from everything we’ve seen.

I wouldn’t judge.

Nothing wrong with flippin whips. Problem is NYS only allows you to sell 6 cars per year. (With no dealer license).