Let me pick some brains... misfire issue 00 Teg

I just picked up a 2000 Integra LS, it runs rough at idle, throws a check eng light, random cyl misfire cyl’s 1,3,&4. The distributor that came in the car looks like an ebay one, so I swapped it out and nothing changed, I also swapped plugs and cap…etc.

The car runs very strong and revs very smooth, just misses at idle. I reset the codes since installing the new dist, it hasnt come back on yet, seems a little better but still kinda rough at idle.

I didnt check the timing before or after swapping distributors. I have a bottle of Lucas Injector cleaner in the tank now.

I noticed that when its cold and I first start it the valves seem a little noisy. Im going to adjust them in a few days when I get a chance, does anyone else have any other ideas?

*This morning when I started the car, the check engine light came on and the idle got shittier. So when the codes were erased it idled smoother, but not perfect. Now that its back on the idle is rough.

WTF is goin on here… ECU? Crank Pos Sensor? both distributors junk?

Check valve lash, re-gap the plugs (replace if necessary). Double check ignition timing, check the IACV as well.

Soo… the IACV would throw a multiple cyl misfire code? I didnt check the ignition timing at all, havent gotten that far yet.

Not by itself, but if the car runs fine UNTIL idle…it’s worth looking into. Timing and lash should be done first. I doubt both dizzy’s you tried are junk.

hmm… there is 183k on it, so Im sure the valves need adjusted, but you’d think the issue is a bad sensor or something since its random in cylinders 1,3,and 4.

I wonder if it has some burnt or bent valves? But it probably wouldnt run as strong as it does if that was the case.

CKP sensor possibly, or the igniter in the dizzy is near death.

You’d already know if valves were bent/burnt. The noise is unmistakeable.

Then that means the igniter would have to be bad in both dizzy’s. The Crank sensor is on the oil pump on this terd right?

What if the fuel pump was weak and not putting out enough pressure?

Any sensor would throw a code. I’d try another distributor. no vacuum leaks?

If the fuel pump was weak, higher RPM would suffer. Borrow a known good dizzy and try it I guess.

Hmm… ok… anyone know where I can borrow an OBD2 LS dizzy?? I’ll throw the loaner a few bucks.

Vac leaks… hmm thats a good idea… I’ll try letting it idle and spray the intake down with starting fluid to see if the idle rises.

I have 3 of them!!

Try taking the vacuum line off of the FPR.

If no change try taking plyers and pinching off the return line a little. It could be starving it with fuel during idle.

Ok, Joe… I’ll try that and if it doesnt work, I’ll stop up and try one of your dizzy’s.

sweet!

Recently change the timing belt?

I did my own belt in my integra (a decade ago) and got a cam off by one tooth. Idled poorly but high RPMs were fine.

I bought it like this. Did yours throw a misfire code?

Well, I swapped injectors, spark plugs, and set the timing today with no changes… still misses at idle.

The plugs that came out were incredibly clean… not a spec of carbon on them… almost like its running lean?

I also checked the fuel pressure and its right on spec.

Next step will be a compression test and valve adjustment.

like i told you today your ecu got the swine flu lol but i would go over all the easy stuff first check and make sure all your grounds are clean and touching the metal, also check all the fueses

So its not fuel? and its not spark?

FIXED!!!

I did a compression test which was right on spec (185psi) So I decided to check the timing belt. I popped off the valve cover and noticed the head looked really clean for 183k miles…

I tore all the covers off and the timing belt was off a tooth. Once I reset the belt I adjusted the valves, which were waaay too tight on some cylinders. After that, I threw it back together, it fired right up and idled smooth with NO cel!

Some bonehead must have got the head rebuilt and never set the valve lash, then put the belt on wrong… idiots.

Thanks for everyones help!

Haven’t been on for a little while but guess I didn’t have to answer you. Glad you got it. Sounded like it could be just that.