2006 Porsche 911 Turbo pictures/speculation

My, My, My… how easily people forget.

ORECA campaigned Viper GTS-R race cars in Europe in the 1990s, winning three consecutive Federation de l’Automobile (FIA) championships in 1997, 1998 and 1999, as well as victories in the GT2 and GTS categories at the 24 Hours of LeMans endurance race in 1998, 1999 and 2000. In the U.S., Viper Team ORECA entries captured first overall at the Rolex 24 at Daytona and a 1-2-3 class win at the Sebring 12 Hours race, both in 2000; as well as championships in the American Le Mans series in 1999 and 2000. They finished in podium positions in races they did not take the championship.

Considering they only raced from 1997 to 2000… that means they won damn near EVERYTHING while they were racing. NO other car, including Porsche, Holds that number of titles in that small amount of time. And that was just one race team… and not even factory sponsored at that!

I just fail to see how the Viper was dragged into this anyway? WHY am I having to defend my car exactly? Am I not entitled to dislike Porshe, just as you guys are to dislike Vipers? What a joke.

I like it, it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside…mmmmmm…

Bring my car into it! :redface:

Nobody dragged you into defending your car. Viper does the same thing Porsche does with the reiterations of their various gen models. Hell, so do many other companies.

You are the one painting with the broad brush, and then going on and on about Viper this and Viper that. :roll:

Newer gen cars share characteristics with their predecessors. It is very rare that any car takes a 180 degree turn from anything successful from its past. Dodge did it with the Viper. Ford did it with the Mustang. Chevy did it with the Vette, Nissan did it with the Skyline, etc. etc. etc. and Porsche did it with their car.

Since you don’t have Porsche knowledge equivelant to your Viper knowledge, maybe you should calm down with the whole “it’s the same thing” rant since you are not a Porsche expert. Anyone that has any experience with the Porsche and looks at the evolution of the Porsche can clearly tell that not everything is the same.

Yes, people did. When I talk about this new porsche… wow, I am talking about a car that no one here owns. When one of these I-jerk-off-every-night-to-Porsche fanatics makes a comment about Vipers, a car which I DO own, SPECIFICALLY to piss me off, I do respond.

Hardly. I answered biased, unfounded criticisms and baseless questions with facts.

That is true. But porsche carries WAAAAAAAY too many characteristics to the new models, that is my point! Does a 70’s Mustang or Vette look like todays? NO, they dont! does a Porsche? YES!!!

Admittedly, I dont know the details of their history. However, I DO know how they work. I DO know all about their technology. I DO know what they drive and handle like. And I DO know I dont like them, for many reasons. This entire argument was based on looks anyhow- so what does it matter if I know about Porches heritage? I dont care about it, I just care what they look like and how THAT progressed. (or didnt…)

If you don’t know the details of Porsche histroy, then you cannot know all about their technology. I think I can go out on a limb and say that you have not had any driving experience on any significant amount of Porsches from multiple time periods to safely say that you would even possess the necessary knowledge to dissect the differences in the cars in terms of handling and feel between the generations.

The only thing you have to stand on is that you don’t like them. :gotme: So why try to express your dislike of the car as some sort of technical gospel when it’s obvious from your statements that you are not in the same position to judge the car just as many people here aren’t in a position to judge the differences between the generations of Dodge Vipers as well as say you could?

I could see your point if the “way too many” characteristics hurt the performance of the car. But they don’t :shrug:

Old school Viper v.s. New school Viper:

All new? Or lots of “characteristic carry-over”?

How does that differ from:

Not-so-old-Old Porsche v.s. New Porsche:

http://www.synlube.com/images/PORSCHE%20911%20SC%20-%201980.jpg

http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-images/media/feb13por_1.jpg

:confused:

Sorry! V8 cars dont count! Reread my post, the only way they could get them to handle was to ditch the V10. That car shared about as much in common with the street viper as the 911 shares with the 917.

Rofl… no, nothing alike!

http://www.fraserdante.com/3688%20-%2067%20Fastback%20-%20red/frt2.JPG

Um… the GTS-R ALWAYS WAS A V-10. The ONLY V-8 variation of the Viper is a recent addition, and it still was a V-10 block, just missing two cylinders. It was purpose built to run one of the races in europe to fit their restrictions. It had nothing to do with handling as you imply. As I said, and I will say it again; There has NEVER been a “V-8” Viper run a circuit until VERY recently…so recent that I dont even think the car HAS run yet, just built and tested.

And actually, the GTSR shared MUCH in common with the design of the street car. It was simply a carbon-fiber paneled widebody version of the street car, with a strengthened block, wild heads and a wild intake tract, all controlled by a Motec engine management system.

The new Comp Coupe is even more similar to the street car version than the GTSR was to the GTS. they are build on almost identical frames, have identical drivetrain and suspensions other than Diffs and shocks, and have identical bodies from the doors forward, other than being clip-removable panels vs. bolt on.

Uh…that doesnt exactly count, seeing as the intention behind that car WAS to be a throwback. the generation previous looked far different than that, and you know it.

Oh. my. god. grow a bigger penis or discuss the new turbo/gt3/porsche.

I am not BASING my argument on their technology, just looks! I have said this before. The technology remark I made was just one single point, it had nothing to do with my overall gripe with porsche.

lol, why is my dislike comment worth so much more than anyone elses that this website has had to focus on it? technical gospel? LOL, stop reading into what I say so much.

They hurt its appeal to me by making the look commonplace. I get sick of seeing Porsches all over the place. I would piss me off if I owned one to see cars styled like mine everywhere.

Actually, put a new SRT-10 next to an old RT-10, and you will see they literally have nothing in common other than layout. different hood types, trunk types, hell…one is a Convertible and the other is a Roadster! new version has separate fenders while old are integral in the hood, different rear ends TOTALLY.

Those two porsches have MUCH more in common than the two Vipers… and they are spaced TWICE as far apart in time as the Viper generations.

These arguments are based on opinions, neither of us is going to win.

Why bother growing a bigger one… it takes too long. I am in the process of building a much bigger penis.

i take offense to that because i for one do not jerk off to porsche. i do however wipe my ass with pictures of vipers :gotme:. i would appreciate a little more tact.

:slight_smile: just trying to lighten things up

agreed… the new ones look ok, but honestly, they dont look anywhere near as good as the 80’s-early 90’s IMHO… some of the best looking cars ever made imo.

why does every good thread have to turn to shit…

:word:

wahh wahhh wahh everyone is going to defend their cars - so just let it go

no one on here is :pimp: enough to have a 911 so its not fair

its hot but I think it needs to grow on me