Let's talk about Porsche baby

Porsche’s new turbo(model 997) is running a Twin Turbine setup with a first for turbo charged cars…this design will revolutionize the power of running two turbos(running at lower boost) and having it perform and drive like a single turbo at high boost, with no or greatly reduced down time and overworking 1 turbo(less heat/more performance).

I have been reading a lot about this and enjoy the idea…

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/11/27/next-911-turbo-to-feature-variable-turbine-geometry/

…could this be the future of turbocharger technology?

o and yes i searched, and did not find a topic along the same lines as this…

chrysler tried someting like that with their shadow csx’s

http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/sheldod9.htm

very cool nonetheless

yea. but chrysler also does not have the engineering porsche does…do you think it is capable of upholding the Porsche Turbo’s name? will it flop?

dunno, but i do know chrysler had a shitload of problems with them.

More than likely, since porsche isnt building a budget racer (like the shelby shadow csx was) and never has built a budget racer, itll include top notch engineering without any bugs at all.

Best part is itll have lightning quick response for power with minimal if any turbo lag.

:tup: to porsche

I’ll let EVO MR chime in on this one

que?

evo mr has such technology?

Hasn’t Banks been doing variable vein turbos for a few years now?

Yep, variable vanes have been around forever on Diesels, nothing new.

yes, but diesel trucks are not cars, or performance cars for that matter which will be beaten up and driven 0-150-0-150-0 etc etc especially when put in one of porsche’s most notorious sports cars…

Good point, Gale Banks only holds the world land speed record for trucks.

Nothing performance oriented there.

And towing a 10,000 lb trailer with a 5,000 lb vehicle is very light work.

Pretty sure its a heat thing

They’ve roadtested the new turbo already. The verdict was super smooth power delivery with torque peaking between something ridiculous like 1800 rpm all the way to the top, running a 11.7 1/4. The new Turbo was dead even with the z06 until 120 mph, where the z06 would pull.

No I meant sam, screen name…evoMR. He has driven it and it is slow.

i see uve read the new car and driver. but yeah it looks impressive. ide like to drive one for myself

to be honest i’m suprised it took this long to use this technology for this type of application

What does something like that cost?
$5000 - $10,000?
Does not seem cost effective.
It seems like making a car weigh less would be better a better investment.:gotme:
You could buy a lot of CF or titanium for that money.

Not too bad (the Z06) for 1/2 the price with “outmoded” OHV technology! Can you guess that I am in “love” with the OHV V-8 configuration? I would guess that as a way to achieve ~500hp with an emissions legal setup, the Porsche approach is ~3x as expensive as the Generals. Doesn’t sound like such fantastic engineering to me (on Porsches part). Sounds like unnecessary complication and cost to no benefit. I never was completely sold on Porsche, though I did own a 944 once and enjoyed it. That engine behind the rear axle configuration was cool in 1950, but they stayed with it way too long. And ditto for air-cooling. I do like the Cayenne though and thought seriously about buying one for the wifey recently. Also, the 928 was a way cool car.

:word:, such a stupid fad.

997 TT? Slow?

perhaps you are confusing this with his opinion of the 996 TT

The benefit of this is to run lower stress levels on each turbo, thus increasing their service life by leaps and bounds.