Let's talk about Porsche baby

Turbo is ~130…so about 2x the Z06…

I meant the motor, though it’s just a guesstimate. The LS6 is available as a complete “crate motor” for ~$13,000. I am just guessin’ that the complete Porsche TT setup would be ~3x as much. Probably more difficult to “package” too, in spite of the smaller displacement. I am impressed with how compact the LSx series is.

I’d rather be talking about the new GT3.
http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/03/porschegt307_07.jpg
http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/05/gt3rs07_06.jpg
Before comparing any numbers, I just want to get this out of the way…

2007 Porsche 911 GT3: Weight lb (kg):3075 (1850)
(The Turbo is at around 3500)

Oh, well yeah easily…I mean there’s more hardware and it’s so fucking shoehorned into that car to begin with…

Oh I WILL have a 997 GT3…without question it will be mine.

ugh that pic of the white gt3 is so nice

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5405&highlight=turbo+technology

jeremy was right, it was heat issues before. the vvt in the new 997 is coated. its teflon for your turbos bitch

The 911 Turbo Vs. current Vette debate is so old. The “same” debate has been goin on for years.

If you wanna know who the winner is, take a look at one of the older versions of this battle, let’s take the 1994 911 3.6 Turbo vs. the 1994 “ZR1” (yeah, remember they made such a thing) :lol: and see where time takes this “battle”. :wink:

Back to the Topic of this thread, I think the Ideas are great for this turbo, also the “overboost” option that is availble, but yeah I don’t think you get what you paid for. The GT3 is a better track car, and they could have just used larger turbos for more power. I’m sure it gives a better power band, but when it comes to being “fast” the bigger turbo with the right gears will be best.

X…

fairgentleman…sams says 11.7 in the 1/4 mi. is slow? stock? hes crazy.

oh yea, and zong the GT3RS(orange one) will never ever ever ever ever make it to US shores…i mean there is only going to be 700-800 Turbo porsches brought here and prolly even less GT3s, because porsche is trying to do a ferrari thing and make car owners stick to the “fam” and become regular purhcasers of these machines…

umm…I’m gonna go ahead and say you’re wrong

The only ferrari that is limited is the Enzo…they make as many 430s as are ordered

I thought the GT3’s were limited…maybe it was the GT2’s?

Where the f— did I say anything about Sam?

That was Don - Carnut

Apples and oranges, the Porsche Turbo is and has always been much more expensive than the 'vette. The fact that people DO compare them shows how good the 'vette is for the $$$. But I guess that the Porsche Turbo and the 'vette appeal to different people in the first place, so the comparison is more bench racing than anything else.

i am going to go ahead and agree with you. i would also like to add that there have been no numbers published by porsche on production outlook.

to say they are trying to change their brand loyalty after making a conscience choice with the 996 to up production a great deal would be silly. from what i have read p-cars will maintain a higher than supercar production numbers. remember that porsche is trying to get AWAY from mayking their cars unatainable a la ferrari. porsches are street driveable, for many miles, with no neccesary tune ups to the motor or chassis, short of 60k intervals. afaik ferrari still requires a tune up to their v8 every 12k. i also remember the clutch being qucik to go as well.

joe

Absolutely, but in the long run, if you are gonna keep the ride and money is not a factor, you are better off with it. Basically; money no object, Porsche (for me), money a concern, vette. :lol:Although I think I would take a stock 997 over a Z06, the power will get old, but everything else you enjoy year after year.

x…

Agree in general. Stock v. stock with price no object I also prefer the Porsche. However, I never leave a car stock and I think the 'vette is much more practical platform for modding. Neither of them is actually likely to end up in my garage though.

let me go get my european car mag. to answer the production numbers question…brb…

and fairgentleman, i apologize i thought that was u saying that to me; a la you hating my existence upon this great planet.

i was incorrect on the turbo production numbers…i actually gave the production numbers(that will be delivered to the US) of GT3s which is 750…

turbo numbers should be anywhere between 1500-2300

There is NO set number of GT3/2/Turbos etc for the US shores. Porsche is out to make money, that is the bottem line. Hell their “race cars” for the street are even watered down now with sunroofs and full interiors. Production is “limited” but that just means “We’re only going to produce as many as people have full payments on”

Oh, and this just in from the newest panorama:

GT3 RS North America will get a sunroof +
No Roll Cage
No CF Seats
No Plexi Windows
PCCB’s OPTIONAL

Hey you just paid an extra 20 grand for stickers and a widebody and a wing, good job!

What a fucking joke.

i did not say there was a SET number. but you can look at the numbers through the years and make an estimate BASED UPON PREVIOUS MODEL SALES at where the possible number of units will be IN TOTAL and make a judgement at where sales MAY fall with another model. sometimes the model jumps off and sales skyrocket and they bring a large number of units, bringing unit price down on all vehicles…exclusivity is always on their minds. they DO NOT want everyone driving a porsche turbo, thereby bringing the cars value down, making owners feel at a loss for owning a cheaper car…money is made by setting a cap and coming close or falling just short of that cap or just barely surpass it so as to keep value/demand/desire/exclusivity high along with high price tag rather than loading the streets up with a cheap popular vehicle and saturating the market…itsj ust good business. keep price and demand high