2014 Corvette Zr-1 leaked

Well, anyone… Thoughts?

TOP STORIES

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2011/11/xlarge_925c5011df99c0d3662be43c7b33afa6.jpg
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2011/11/xlarge_c52a837b981bde3536270f164ca05252.jpg

2014 CORVETTE CHEVY CORVETTE CORVETTE CHEVY CHEVROLET FEATURE
BY RAY WERT NOV 14, 2011 12:00 PM

Exclusive: This is the 2014 Chevy Corvette
The exclusive images you see here, derived from hours spent secretly poring over the sheetmetal of two seventh-generation Corvettes, show the next step in the supercar’s iconic evolution. These aren’t photos, but this is absolutely the next-generation Chevy Corvette in ZR1 trim. GM so doesn’t want you to see these.
Love it or hate it, the Chevrolet Corvette is an American icon. For most of its 60 years, the 'Vette’s shown that a commodity-focused U.S. automaker can confound expectations and compete with the likes of Ferrari and Lamborghini. The seventh-generation Corvette — or C7 Corvette — as fan-boys and GM insiders call it — is designed to further confound those expectations.

These renderings were derived from hours this weekend I (and our designer) spent in secret, poring over the completely uncamouflaged sheetmetal of two versions of the next-gen Corvette. With limited time, we decided to, rather than show you the first one, a base level Corvette, we focused our rendering efforts instead on the high-performance ZR1 trim level.

None of our sources were willing to go on the record or allow me to run their name for fear they might lose their jobs. That’s also why I’m showing renderings rather than actual photos — I don’t care if it might cast doubt on the veracity of the styling — but I didn’t want anyone losing their job.

That said, we showed these images to three different sources at General Motors — and all three confirmed that the images you see here accurately portray the ZR1 trim level for the seventh-generation Corvette. A fourth source — a non-GM employee — confirmed that the vehicle we show here is one of two Initial Vehicle Engineering Release (IVER) vehicles that’s been making the rounds at the Milford Proving Grounds.

The ZR1 trim level is expected to come out later than the base model Corvette — which is slated for a 2014 model year and a reveal at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show.
At first glance, you think this is nothing more than an evolutionary change to America’s supercar. But give it a second for that initial enormously deceiving glance to dissipate into a double-take. The changes — like the very Camaro-esque rear taillights, the over-exaggerated side vents, and a new window in the rear quarter — will be absolutely polarizing to any Corvette fan-boy. And other items — like a split-rear window, a la the Corvette Stingray, won’t make it into production.

Tell us what you see — and what you think and like or don’t like — in the comments below.

Dislike. :tdown: to the camaroish back end, bolt on spoiler, weak c pillar execution, bland rear beltline, brick mirrors. For a ZR1 it also lacks the bulging wheel arches that a pumped up car should have (my opinion). This just feels like a really lame body kit over a C6…

I hate it. It looks like a GT-R.

I actually like the GT-R, but a Corvette should never look Asian in any way. It just shouldn’t.

Is this the one they’re gonna put the turbo in?

^This

That Camaro ass end is hideous and makes me doubt the authenticity of these renderings.

weak. Jalopnik reaching for some cheap site hits.

I don’t really care for the rear end… but I think the rest of the design is fucking hot! Reminds me of the 599.

I like it…

aside from the camaro-esque lights in the rear, it’s hot

The front reminds me of a Lotus. Meh

That’s definitely not the actual design.

Could be real…

The vast majority of GM’s workforce has no idea what the next corvette looks like either. Just because someone’s friend ‘works at GM’ doesn’t mean he knows any better than the general public. It seemed like a very generic statement that Jalopnik is blowing their load over to get people to believe their article.

Yeah that’s a goofy story some kid wrote to go along with his graphic design project.

I wouldn’t kick it out of the garage, even if it does look like a lotus and a camaro gang banged a GTR.

Camaro rear end? :iobarf:

I like it alot.

The A pillars being blacked out are the coolest thing I have seen in a while.

If the greatest design asset of the C7 Corvette ZR1 is the A-pillars…then I think there may be a problem with the look.

*definitely NOT the real deal here. Looking closer I’d be willing to bet that this was drawn right over top of a C6…Jalopnik designers hard at work.

If they made it look that much worse on the outside, I hope they at least are going the opposite way with the low rent interior…/hate

+1 Looks great besides the booty

RX-7 goes away, Corvette takes styling?
F360 goes away, Corvette takes headlight design?
599 goes away, Corvette takes styling?

X2.